The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 09:53 AM

I kinda like them......

I'm down to 11 from a high of 14. Some are Alvarez and some are A by Y. Most all are MIJ except 1. I have a PD100s that's MIK and it's Spruce over RW all solid wood with "tree of life" fret board. It's beautiful and the best sounding 600 dollar guitar on the planet guaranteed. I'd put it up against any guitar costing multiple times it's price.

I also have a pretty good assortment of literature from 1976 to early 2000s if anyone needs to know anything on a particular model.

PS always buying and sometimes selling just as an FYI.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200924_114254.jpg (41.5 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 10-06-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:13 AM

Default Just got another

I just bought a MFA66 and it’s amazing!!! My friend owns a guitar shop and was blown away at how much guitar it was for the money. This is my second Alvarez and I think the Masterworks series is one of best deals on the market! I have a couple nice Martins as well and wanted a guitar for traveling. The MFA66 has exceeded my expectations!! Solid wood guitar with great build for that price is hard to beat!!!! The sound is superb!!
Old 02-13-2021, 07:45 AM

Another new MFA66SHB owner here. The only guitar I ever bought twice. Alvarez are "shop adjusted" (in St. Louis I believe). I have owned several and they are ready to play out of the box!
Old 03-04-2021, 03:07 PM

I've owned and just sold two Masterworks series only to buy a Yairi series WY1 which was just ordered today. I agree with all of the positive comments here. They are a not much talked about but stellar made guitars. I hope your friend has good luck selling them because they need more exposure.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-04-2021, 08:49 PM

I’m still waiting on the 2021 models to start showing up! Interested in the 12 fret slot head...

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 03-04-2021, 09:12 PM

Thoughts on Alvarez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefrigRaider View Post
Alvarez is a good-to-great maker and importer. Their highest line are the Alvarez Yairi instruments "hand built" in Japan at the Kazuo Yairi factory, and they are very special indeed - as evidenced by my Conquistador classical guitar circa 1977, given to me by my dad recently. You probably can't lose with an Alvarez, you definitely can't lose with an Alvarez Yairi. If you search through AGF you will never, and I mean literally, find negative comments on this brand.
OK, I am not the one to dispute this. I've had an Alvarez AJ60S bought new 15 years ago. It's a fine guitar and not 'just' for the money. Biggest problem I had with it was finding a string gauge and brand that I liked on it. About 8 years ago the answer was there for the taking. I like Elixirs on my guitars, but the Alvarez wasn't settled unitil I tried the straight 'Lights' on it. I had previously tried Bluegrass and the Elixir Light-Mediums and my favorite Elixir HD, and didn't like the results. Then one day I tried the Lights and there it was.

Being a laminate, it gets extra play time in days of wonky humidity.

Even though this is an arisen Lazarus thread, it's still a good one.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-05-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:11 AM

With new activity on this thread, I won't miss an opportunity to speak favorably of my recent experience with Alvarez. In recent auditioning, I was impressed by an Artist model at the local GC. I went on to find a few Yairi and Masterworks Elites to audition resulting in same impression. In fact, the Yairi OM HD was the one guitar in this round of shopping that I found had some tonal qualities forum members reference regarding custom/small production builds.

I actually purchased a Masterworks Elite GA and am enjoying getting to know it. I absolutely "love" the necks on the 1.72" nut Yairi and the 1.75" nut standards. The Masterworks/Artists are loaded with aesthetics and features for the level, and everything about these guitars rates a nice value for the market segment. Each time I play this GA I am struck by what is offered for the investment.

If the specs suit your preferences, Alvarez is certainly worth checking out.

Best,

Mac
Old 03-08-2021, 04:00 PM

I'm receiving a WY1TS today and will post my impressions after playing it tonight. I am embarrassed to admit that I did not realize it has laminated back and side when I ordered it but I'll try to keep an open mind. If it's close but not quite up to my expectations I may return it for an all solid wood standard series.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-08-2021, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmtndude View Post
I just bought a MFA66 and it’s amazing!!! My friend owns a guitar shop and was blown away at how much guitar it was for the money. This is my second Alvarez and I think the Masterworks series is one of best deals on the market! I have a couple nice Martins as well and wanted a guitar for traveling. The MFA66 has exceeded my expectations!! Solid wood guitar with great build for that price is hard to beat!!!! The sound is superb!!
I may have to try to find one. I want a small mahogany box but I don't want want to spend a bunch. I had a 00-15 and sold it.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_D View Post
I'm receiving a WY1TS today and will post my impressions after playing it tonight. I am embarrassed to admit that I did not realize it has laminated back and side when I ordered it but I'll try to keep an open mind. If it's close but not quite up to my expectations I may return it for an all solid wood standard series.
Don't let the fact that it's lam deter you. They're fantastic instruments. If you're set on a solid wood guitar look into their masterworks series. You won't be disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210205_183444_.jpg (98.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20210205_183749b.jpg (108.3 KB, 173 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Just pretend you still don't know and no worries! Yairi has been doing laminate for a long time, and they aren't much different in cost than some laminates from other brands.

Agree with edcmat. The WY1 has been around and has a lot of fans. It's a deeper body OM and is just about the same as the Yairi GA, just a little shorter lower, shorter scale, and slightly less overall length. You should be getting their customary nice finishing. If the neck is anything like the Yairi Masters I auditioned, it should have the level of feel you get from upper tier models in most lines. I also think you may get a little wider string spacing even with the 1.72" nut than on the standard Masterworks, but I am not positive.

I will be interested in hearing what you think.

Best,

Mac
Old 05-29-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Did you end up keeping it?
Old 05-29-2021, 02:58 PM

My new Alvarez Yairi PYM70 12-fret parlor soft-v-neck spruce over rosewood, gloss on body and slotted headstock, satin on neck

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vXhJd8XKQXb3BGA66

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X7MxwqYB7aexPg2FA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hxTbFKrYTrHxb7379

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f6mCQHDJp2Y8HoX18

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q2ymz27y33QondkR9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/faFtum1HLbUAcuKV8

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 05-29-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have owned several over the years, both all wood and laminate. All sounded great and played great. One had a minor quality control issue with one of the tuners binding up. Turns out when I removed the tuner, a small amount of finish had dripped into the area where the tuner seated which was causing the problem. I had planned on swapping the tuners out anyway but I did write Alvarez about it just as an FYI and have heard others mention the same issue here now and again. But, overall I have been pleased with the Alvarez guitars that I have owned.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-29-2021, 04:00 PM

A few years back I bought a B-stock Artist series (don't recall exact model) for one of my kids. I was quite impressed with it from both a playability and sound standpoint.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion