The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Ive heard good things about playability, but I cant get past the shape.
Ditto. Saw two today at my local shop. The neck joint is contoured like a Gibson Les Paul Access model so that players can easily reach the very highest notes. It’s interesting...but for me, the odd shape is off putting.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 PM

I remember official suggest to use 011 guage strings for that particular guitar if my memory is correct. Many review praising the playability. However, join to body is at fret 13 and all the changes make it sounds totally different from other Martin guitar. Probably target at electric guitar players who would like to convert to acoustic guitar.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 03-04-2021, 11:42 PM

Nope! Oh me. I’m not going to play a guitar that looks like the it is in need of orthopedic surgery.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Nope! Oh me. I’m not going to play a guitar that looks like the it is in need of orthopedic surgery.
Ahhha!! Yeah it is different looking .I wonder if holds up to humidity better than my expensive guitars when i play out in the hot months.[staying in tune ;that is].
Old 03-05-2021, 11:08 AM

Personally I think it’s a very interesting, innovative offering, I’d love to play one.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

the way i look at this model is not to compare it to any other Martin i've owned or played. it has the genetics and the tone of the Martin lineage, but its not a model that was designed to compete with any other Martin guitar. this is a model fully designed from the ground up, to open up exploration into the guitar world that many of us have never taken a step in or towards. and it does so with good looks, feels great in the hand or on the lap, and with a very reasonable cost.

the SC13 gives access to playing that an OM or dreadnaught simply can't-and thats not a thumbs down on the traditional models. it is a model that offers many different directions of play than what many of us are used to having. its not in competition to any other Martin, it occupies its own spot in the group and offers its own journey of sound and touch.

this is a new tool, a new crayon color that is vibrant, fun, and playful. it allows you to go in places and areas that you may have avoided your whole playing life. it opens up exploration and does so in a comfortable and fun manner.

i've never ever cared for extra light string sets....until i spent 15 min with an SC13, then it became clear what this model was offering me. a new moment into areas of playing that i had never taken, or had access in such a friendly format.

standard light gauge will thicken the tone definitely, will give you that edge back more towards the traditional Martin tone, but it will take away a little of the freedom you are offered with the xtralights.

i've had an SC13 totally apart, they are built extremely well and with quality parts and precision. they are different, very different, than any set neck acoustic. they remind me a lot of a fender tele or strat in many ways, especially the neck. don't forget it offers an easy method to adjust neck intonation that is an easily overlooked feature. everything on this model has been well thought out and designed.

the body is really pretty and has a rounded touch to the edges and along the line shapes. its a very ergonomic slick design. light in weight(both i have setup were right at 4 lbs), and balance wonderfully whether sitting or standing. that body shape helps all that, and also with regards to returning a balanced tone thru the whole string set-thats a real important function of that shape.

i've owned many models of Martin, Taylor, Guild, Maton, Goodall, Collings, Gibson,and some luthier builds. I've never had as much fun playing guitar as i have when i've had the SC13 in my hands. its very easy to forget time when you have one in hand. you just naturally start exploring and get lost in beautiful sound. there's no fight, everything falls in place easy and very natural-again, that body shape, neck profile, all of it fits to work for you.

d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 03-05-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
the way i look at this model is not to compare it to any other Martin i've owned or played. it has the genetics and the tone of the Martin lineage, but its not a model that was designed to compete with any other Martin guitar. this is a model fully designed from the ground up, to open up exploration into the guitar world that many of us have never taken a step in or towards. and it does so with good looks, feels great in the hand or on the lap, and with a very reasonable cost.

the SC13 gives access to playing that an OM or dreadnaught simply can't-and thats not a thumbs down on the traditional models. it is a model that offers many different directions of play than what many of us are used to having. its not in competition to any other Martin, it occupies its own spot in the group and offers its own journey of sound and touch.

this is a new tool, a new crayon color that is vibrant, fun, and playful. it allows you to go in places and areas that you may have avoided your whole playing life. it opens up exploration and does so in a comfortable and fun manner.

i've never ever cared for extra light string sets....until i spent 15 min with an SC13, then it became clear what this model was offering me. a new moment into areas of playing that i had never taken, or had access in such a friendly format.

standard light gauge will thicken the tone definitely, will give you that edge back more towards the traditional Martin tone, but it will take away a little of the freedom you are offered with the xtralights.

i've had an SC13 totally apart, they are built extremely well and with quality parts and precision. they are different, very different, than any set neck acoustic. they remind me a lot of a fender tele or strat in many ways, especially the neck.

the body is really pretty and has a rounded touch to the edges and along the line shapes. its a very ergonomic slick design.

i've owned many models of Martin, Taylor, Guild, Maton, Goodall, Collings, Gibson,and some luthier builds. I've never had as much fun playing guitar as i have when i've had the SC13 in my hands.

d
Yeah, it’s the perfect solution to a non-existent problem.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

if you haven't watched this, its neat, enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK6wvsvlRmA&t=412s

Last edited by darylcrisp; 03-05-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Yeah, it’s the perfect solution to a non-existent problem.
Have you ever played one?

Last edited by Coler; 03-05-2021 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Original post was rude
Old 03-05-2021, 09:04 PM

Hmmm!thanks Daryl .. this is starting to interest me. thanks for the you tube.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Ian Meadows is an excellent youtube player/performer/youtuber, check out his channel and here is his video on the SC13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6t...bft2R&index=56

and his channel, lots of guitar brands and some comparisons, all playing, no talking
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmZ...gCKg/playlists
Old 04-01-2021, 08:03 PM

Anyone else playing or tried this one? I am intrigued by the comfort factor, but not so much by the ability to play all the way up the neck. 90% of my playing is in the open positions.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Anyone else playing or tried this one? I am intrigued by the comfort factor, but not so much by the ability to play all the way up the neck. 90% of my playing is in the open positions.
The thing is - this guitar is more comfy than other Martins everywhere on the neck, not just north of the 12th fret.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-02-2021, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
The thing is - this guitar is more comfy than other Martins everywhere on the neck, not just north of the 12th fret.
Yeah, I mean neither of my other Martins are at all uncomfortable, the opposite, I love playing them but the SC13E plays easier in small but noticeable ways, up and down the neck. It hasn't been set up yet and the action is high out of the box but even with that...

I credit it's playability and fun factor with pushing me on from a plateau in terms of how and what I was playing.

(Ps having tried a few strings I have settled on 11s - elixir PH custom light or martin retro custom light depending. 12s overpower it a bit, tightens it up too much, in my view.

Last edited by Coler; 04-02-2021 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:34 AM

Has anyone replaced the pickup in this yet and if so, was it easy to remove the existing system? I am guessing that if I remove the pickup, I will lose the tuner as well? I would love to replace the Sonicore (MXT) pickup with something like a Baggs Anthem. But I am surprised at how much praise the plugged in sound is getting from all the online reviews. It's just a Fishman Sonicore with a tuner. Since when is that a great sounding pickup? maybe it just works well in this model?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion