The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 01:41 PM

In these times, I wouldn't trust any estimate on wait time.

I was recently in the market for a mountain bike. The first store I went to said, "We are taking orders and you should expect to have your bike in April or so."

The second store (same brand dealer) said they weren't going to take orders at all, and the third store said they likely be looking at delivery in 2022.

No thanks.

The used market is similarly competitive right now, but I was able to score a sweet bike at a great price because I was watching the used classifieds like a hawk and responded within hours if not minutes, something popped up. I had to drive 100 miles for that bike.

Looking at our local Guitar Center, the situation seems similar. They literally have a dozen acoustic guitars right now. The showroom appears about 70% empty.

Guitars and bikes, like many other goods, have been, and are being, gobbled up by the masses looking for things to do while socially isolating, and I hear that manufacturers are responding by holding back on production because they don't want to flood the market with product they can't sell once things are improving.

My advice would be to buy a guitar that you want from wherever it's in stock now, as opposed to ordering the same guitar somewhere else where you'll have to wait.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 03-04-2021, 02:01 PM

I had some fun with a GC used guitar order recently.
Remember the deep freeze in Texas?
I bought a used guitar from the Seattle GC right before
the cold weather hit.
They shipped it and it landed right in the coldest day- minus one degree
in my town. UPS left it sitting outside with no notice.
The best part was that the guitar was shipped without a case and was
only wrapped in bubble wrap.
The case was missing so they just shipped the guitar anyway.
Bunch of phone calls and the case was located in Nevada.
Ten more days and I have the case too.
Sadly the guitar had problems and I ended up returned it
to the local GC with no problems.
Too bad as I paid a screaming low price. If I choose to
buy the same guitar again it will cost me (used) about
$500 more . Woof.
Now I have to rethink, what do I really want??
Slim pickings these days.

Mark
Old 03-04-2021, 02:08 PM

Hope it all works out. Congrats, Dave. You'll love your new Martin!
Old 03-04-2021, 02:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Certainly industry, music being one of them, have exploded during the pandemic. Even companies like Fender are having trouble meeting demand.

scott memmer
Old 03-04-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
So I cancelled with GC just now but they say I won't get the money back into my bank until around five days from now. Now I have to wait to get it from Maury's because if that. Ugh.
I would check my account frequently. That seems to be the standard response on a return, but I have found the turnaround to be much quicker, at least with my financial institution.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:56 PM

LeDave - I haven't seen you around in a while.

Great to hear about your order ... and then reorder. Any guitar that is not in stock with a future "in inventory" date is a risk to meet that date.

Let us know your thoughts when it comes in. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephystar View Post
No guarantee Maury will have it five days from now. Popular models are selling out quick. If you have a credit card I would think about using it now.
That is for sure. Nearly all the music stores are very short and out of stock on most guitars. I bought a Martin on Monday from Sweetwater. At least seven of that model were sold in about a half a day and were then sold out. After that, as with many of their guitars and amps, etc., all said on backorder and will require extra time to receive from the manufacturer. I think that could mean months the way things are now. May be the old ‘he who hesitates....’.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I ordered a hard case from GC last year. It was on back order but was supposed to be in stock in less than a month. A month got there and it was two months. Then it went to three months. Each time they were sure the cases were going to show up any time. I've also ordered new stuff from them that has showed up shelf worn. I wouldn't trust them to get it in on whatever date they gave you. I'm really skeptical of them. I still buy from them, but nothing worth anything. Just my experiences. There are others out there.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-04-2021, 03:23 PM

I waited 50 years before finding the funds, the model and the courage to buy a Gibson SJ-200.
Took another 260 days to get here after I placed the order.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-04-2021, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I cancelled with GC just now but they say I won't get the money back into my bank until around five days from now. Now I have to wait to get it from Maury's because if that. Ugh.
Something doesn't smell right here. They should not have charged your card on a back-order. I know that when I had a backorder with GC, they told me that my card wouldn't be charged until the item shipped.

Call them back and find out what's going on. I don't think you should have been charged and with that, there should be nothing to refund. If you have to call your credit card.

I want you to have your guitar!
Old 03-04-2021, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That delay is not unusual although I always believe the policy is so that the bank gets to use your money for several days before you have access to it. Why not call Maury and let him know your plans and see what he has in stock???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-04-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Something doesn't smell right here. They should not have charged your card on a back-order. I know that when I had a backorder with GC, they told me that my card wouldn't be charged until the item shipped.

Call them back and find out what's going on. I don't think you should have been charged and with that, there should be nothing to refund. If you have to call your credit card.

That's true, normally you are never charged until the item is actually shipped. It is that way at Sweetwater and I believe at MF (same company as GC).

Waiting five days there may be none in stock and maybe months before they are back in stock.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:18 PM

I would just call Maury and ask if he would mind holding it for you. The worst that could happen is he would say no. What do you have to lose. A phone call only takes a couple of minutes.

Last edited by baw3; 03-04-2021 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

THIS! ^^^^^ he's right,, they should have not charged you a dime till they shipped the order.

Folks need to get wise to these jokers and just STOP doing business with them, there are dozens of better places to order from.. These guys are about dead last on the list.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
THIS! ^^^^^ he's right,, they should have not charged you a dime till they shipped the order.

Folks need to get wise to these jokers and just STOP doing business with them, there are dozens of better places to order from.. These guys are about dead last on the list.
The lure of cheapness is always going to be irresistible to people. How much stuff gets bought just because it was cheap?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion