The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-21-2020, 08:17 AM

Default Gibson LG-2 Bridge Plate Photo

I would like to see what the bridge plate looks like on an LG-2. If anyone has a photo would you please send me one or however many you have? You can either attach them here or PM me. I would appreciate it. Thanks

Michael
Old 11-21-2020, 09:27 AM

What year are you talking about? I think they varied a lot especially during war time years. I just pulled one out a couple months ago but it came out in pieces and I didn't take any pics. It was about .09in thick and only as wide as the bridge.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
What year are you talking about? I think they varied a lot especially during war time years. I just pulled one out a couple months ago but it came out in pieces and I didn't take any pics. It was about .09in thick and only as wide as the bridge.
1947. I took my guitar to the shop to have the K&K pickups put in. When the fellow at the store put a mirror in the guitar he said the bridge plate wasn't big enough to install/space the three disks. The bridge plate wood looked pretty new. It did look to be as wide as you describe. Not very wide.

Have you, or anyone else here on the forum installed the K&Ks in an LG-2, or LG-3?
Old 11-22-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
1947. I took my guitar to the shop to have the K&K pickups put in. When the fellow at the store put a mirror in the guitar he said the bridge plate wasn't big enough to install/space the three disks. The bridge plate wood looked pretty new. It did look to be as wide as you describe. Not very wide.

Have you, or anyone else here on the forum installed the K&Ks in an LG-2, or LG-3?
It is a pretty small bridge plate. You can glue two or even just one of the transducers and still get it to work. Not ideal but doable. You can also glue it on to the soundboard just in front of the bridge plate. Again not ideal but doable.

Or just look for another system that will work.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It is a pretty small bridge plate. You can glue two or even just one of the transducers and still get it to work. Not ideal but doable. You can also glue it on to the soundboard just in front of the bridge plate. Again not ideal but doable.

Could you add a small piece of maple just in front of the bridge plate to hold the transducers?
Old 11-22-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Could you add a small piece of maple just in front of the bridge plate to hold the transducers?
This course of action is what the fellow in the store said he could do but I told him I would think about doing that. I don't want to possibly muck with the sound of the guitar by adding to it.

I have a Fishman Rare Earth humbucker sound hole pick up that sounds very good.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I have a Fishman Rare Earth sound hole pick up.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:51 PM

I would not alter the originality of a '47 Gibson. So no I would not add wood in front of the original bridge plate unless it was for repair purposes. And there probably just isn't enough room there anyway.

I like K and K stuff, it's about the best there is for acoustic guitar imho. For many many years I hated USP's with their rubbery thuddy fake tone that was till a couple years ago when I found the Fishman Aura. Now, again IMHO, a Fishman USP with an Aura is the very best acoustic amplified I've ever come across.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I would not alter the originality of a '47 Gibson. So no I would not add wood in front of the original bridge plate unless it was for repair purposes. And there probably just isn't enough room there anyway.

I like K and K stuff, it's about the best there is for acoustic guitar imho. For many many years I hated USP's with their rubbery thuddy fake tone that was till a couple years ago when I found the Fishman Aura. Now, again IMHO, a Fishman USP with an Aura is the very best acoustic amplified I've ever come across.
I agree with you on not adding any wood. I'll stick to the Rare Earth sound hole of I want to amplify the guitar. That pickup is good enough for Will Kimbrough in his LG-3 and John Leventhal in his Collings so that is my best bet. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
This course of action is what the fellow in the store said he could do but I told him I would think about doing that. I don't want to possibly muck with the sound of the guitar by adding to it.

I have a Fishman Rare Earth humbucker sound hole pick up that sounds very good.
I would not hesitate to have a small piece of wood added next to the bridge, and furthermore it would make the whole job easier.

I would attach the pickups to the piece of wood, and then with hot hide glue, have the whole unit fastened to the underside of the top.

Removal is then easier if desired.

It can even be done in back of the bridge plate where there is more room.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 11-23-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
I would not hesitate to have a small piece of wood added next to the bridge, and furthermore it would make the whole job easier.

I would attach the pickups to the piece of wood, and then with hot hide glue, have the whole unit fastened to the underside of the top.

Removal is then easier if desired.

It can even be done in back of the bridge plate where there is more room.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Hmmm, thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair