The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 PM

Default round neck metal body resonator

assuming you were to take a single cone metal body round neck resonator put in national hot rod cone change the cheap tuners they often come with and have a good set up done to it using it for slide and some fretting would there be any tonal difference between a a rouge, aria, gretsch, or a republic? Would it be worth it to buy a republic or would el cheapos like the rouge be about the same as far as tone once upgraded?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
assuming you were to take a single cone metal body round neck resonator put in national hot rod cone change the cheap tuners they often come with and have a good set up done to it using it for slide and some fretting would there be any tonal difference between a a rouge, aria, gretsch, or a republic? Would it be worth it to buy a republic or would el cheapos like the rouge be about the same as far as tone once upgraded?
"Rogue", Musician's Friend house brand used to make a bell brass body resophonic for around $300 that got a lot of good comments. (It's no longer offered.)

I put a soundwell and a Quarterman cone in a wood-bodied Washburn and it turned out to be a great sounding lap-style.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
You can definitely improve a resonator by replacing the cone and getting a setup, but there will still be tonal differences between guitars. I'm not convinced that Republics are any better than anyone else's inexpensive reso. I've bought two, and they both suffered from some pretty questionable construction methods. Of the ones you mentioned, I'd probably opt for a Gretsch.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 PM

what were the "questionable" construction methods of the republic? any other brands to look at?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I's all about the cone.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
what were the "questionable" construction methods of the republic? any other brands to look at?
On the Republic tri-cone I bought, one of the dot markers that cover the screws was missing. The screw under it had been installed at an angle, making the fretboard lift away from the body.

On the Republic biscuit guitar, the "stick" that runs from the neck block to the tail was comprised of several glued-together pieces of what looked like scrap wood. The screw that attached this assembly to the cone well was also installed at an angle, making the contact between the cone lip and the well dodgy.

As far as brands go, I think the inexpensive ones have a lot more similarities than differences. If I wanted to spend less than $1000, I'd probably look for a Michael Messer Blues.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest 728 View Post
On the Republic tri-cone I bought, one of the dot markers that cover the screws was missing. The screw under it had been installed at an angle, making the fretboard lift away from the body.

On the Republic biscuit guitar, the "stick" that runs from the neck block to the tail was comprised of several glued-together pieces of what looked like scrap wood. The screw that attached this assembly to the cone well was also installed at an angle, making the contact between the cone lip and the well dodgy.

As far as brands go, I think the inexpensive ones have a lot more similarities than differences. If I wanted to spend less than $1000, I'd probably look for a Michael Messer Blues.
wow the republics actually have bolt on necks? I didnt think they did. Also Michael Messer uses the same factories so Im not sure why itd be any different besides perhaps a better setup
Old 08-28-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
It's all about the cone.
This is #1.

Then the setup.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonCats View Post
Also Michael Messer uses the same factories so Im not sure why itd be any different besides perhaps a better setup
IIRC, the bodies come from the same factory but they are built to different specifications. Having communicated with Michael Messer and spent some time perusing the MM forums, it's clear that he is meticulous when it comes to quality control, set up and customer care. I would not hesitate to purchase one of his instruments, but I've read enough negative comments about Republics here and elsewhere to steer clear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments