The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Withstanding the test of time...Collings OM1

Acoustic Music Works refers to it as "the gateway drug of fine, fine guitars" - the Collings OM1. Unadorned and unapologetic in its simplicity - sitka/mahogany with understated appointments - it becomes a broken-in thing of beauty.

The Collings OM1 was definitely my gateway guitar. Up and down the food chain I have gone - making the trip multiple times. But, on a Saturday afternoon where the rest of the house is quiet, I get to enjoy the sweetness, warmth, and chime. It is a better guitar than I am player, but it forgives me of my mistakes and rewards me when I get it right - it is a friend of the best and truest kind.

Thank you Bill Collings....You made guitars that withstand the test of time.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I agree, these are very special guitars. I don’t own an OM1, but I do own 2 Collings OMs and they have been with me 6 years, getting better all the time. Known as a powerhouse, I’m struck by the range of output they offer. Last night I was up late and not wanting to play loudly, I sat there fingerpicking with a light touch. The Collings OM harmonics were sublime. I’m with you in your appreciation of Bill’s talent and vision. It’s been 2 years since he left the building, but his influence remains.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I agree, these are very special guitars. I don’t own an OM1, but I do own 2 Collings OMs and they have been with me 6 years, getting better all the time. Known as a powerhouse, I’m struck by the range of output they offer. Last night I was up late and not wanting to play loudly, I sat there fingerpicking with a light touch. The Collings OM harmonics were sublime. I’m with you in your appreciation of Bill’s talent and vision. It’s been 2 years since he left the building, but his influence remains.

That’s a great shot of Bill. His influence certainly remains which is a very good thing.

What two OMs do you have, Paul? I am not sure I have ever asked.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I have an OM2 all mahogany and an OM2H Adi/Sacha

Old 07-20-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful!
Old 07-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Beautiful guitars, Paul. Thank you for sharing!
Old 07-20-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Sacha. That's a tonewood I hadn't heard of. Peru. Like rosewood, but not a true rosewood, so not subject to same restrictions. Says the internet.

What's it like sound wise? Have a shot of the back?

Thanks.

Sorry for the sidetrack.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:09 PM

I agree on the OM1. Was just spending a rainy afternoon with my OM1. Its a T version with a baked sitka top. I got it 2 years ago and am still blown away with this guitar. It has such a beautiful sweetness if that is what you want to bring our of it. But you can also dig in with a flatpick and really make it go. Astonishing dynamic range and volume for such a small guitar. Very versatile! When I first played it I was not even in the market for an OM but i could not get it out of my head and went back a couple days later and brought it home....
Old 07-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesyjacuzzi View Post
I agree on the OM1. Was just spending a rainy afternoon with my OM1. Its a T version with a baked sitka top. I got it 2 years ago and am still blown away with this guitar. It has such a beautiful sweetness if that is what you want to bring our of it. But you can also dig in with a flatpick and really make it go. Astonishing dynamic range and volume for such a small guitar. Very versatile! When I first played it I was not even in the market for an OM but i could not get it out of my head and went back a couple days later and brought it home....
Sounds like a wonderful guitar. I really like the baked sitka paired with mahogany on a Collings!
Old 07-20-2019, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

I had both the OM1 and the OM2H in the deep body versions. Truly amazing guitars but a dread guy at heart, I now own an incredible D1 custom baked Sitka top, no tongue brace, shade top monster. And like you Kori...I say a big "THANK YOU" Bill! As a side note...it also came from Steve & Raymond at Acoustic Music Works. So thanks to you two as well!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 07-21-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I had both the OM1 and the OM2H in the deep body versions. Truly amazing guitars but a dread guy at heart, I now own an incredible D1 custom baked Sitka top, no tongue brace, shade top monster. And like you Kori...I say a big "THANK YOU" Bill! As a side not...it also came from Steve & Raymond at Acoustic Music Works. So thanks to you two as well!
I did not realize you had the deep body OMs at one point. Glad you found the D1...I have no doubt it is incredible!
Old 07-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Sacha. That's a tonewood I hadn't heard of. Peru. Like rosewood, but not a true rosewood, so not subject to same restrictions. Says the internet.

What's it like sound wise? Have a shot of the back?

Thanks.

Sorry for the sidetrack.
I don’t think they made many, but too bad IMO. Here’s a shot of the back. The scientific name for Sacha Rosewood or "Higuerilla" is Micandra spruceana. The guitar has strong fundamentals, a very quick response, clear trebles, well defined/balanced mid-range, and a solid bass. Even with its strong fundamentals, this guitar has harmonic overtones that I haven’t heard in other Collings I’ve owned.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 07-20-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 PM

My Collings OMs (a five year old OM1A and an eight year old OM2GSS) are magical. I'm fortunate to have some other very fine guitars, but the Collings come alive for me like no other guitars I've played. And they get better with each year.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
My Collings OMs (a five year old OM1A and an eight year old OM2GSS) are magical. I'm fortunate to have some other very fine guitars, but the Collings come alive for me like no other guitars I've played. And they get better with each year.
Nice! I had an OM1A that I regret letting go but, things happen.

You nailed it...a Collings needs to be played and when they are, they absolutely get better and better. To me, they fill in, warm up, and retain all their tonal depth. Magic.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:47 AM

An OM1A JL & OM3AMr Varnish for me. Love their OMs!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion