The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 PM

Default John Pearse Silks

On my continuing quest trying out different strings on my J35, after a recent recommendation on here, I just put on the JP Silk and Phosphor Bronze 610LM’s. Okay, these might be the ones!! PERFECT right out of the packet. No other way to say it. I am definitely in the very broken in camp for this particular guitar. I just don’t care for too much zing on it. The company description of their 80/20’s broken in is spot on. I hope these last!!
Old 06-22-2019, 02:21 PM

Perchman, I’ve never actually used the John Pearse phosphor bronze and silk strings, even though I’m an artist endorser for the brand. But my sister is a convert to them. She’s used silk and steel strings since the early 1960’s, but once I gave her a set of the John Pearse version she switched over to them.

She told me that they easily last her twice as long as regular silk and steel strings do.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-22-2019, 04:56 PM

FWIW I recently tried a set of the JP silk and bronze on an anonymous (builder) OOO mahogany guitar I use for teaching. The strings transformed (in a very good way) that guitar’s voice. They lasted along time as well. As is said on all these such threads, YMMV. But I love the strings, with that guitar.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:04 PM

Has anyone compared the JP Silks with Thomasik-Infeld Plectrum's?
m
2019 Collings Baby 2he
Prior: Too many to list
Old 06-22-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Has anyone compared the JP Silks with Thomasik-Infeld Plectrum's?
m
There are 2 John Pearse 'Silks' - they are Silk & Steel and Silk & Bronze.

Quite different in how they feel and sound.

The Silk & Steels are similar in feel with Plectrums, the Silk & Bronze are more like a warm sounding Phosphor Bronze string.

La Bella make a very good Silk & Steel string that come close to Plectrums for a much lower price.

For Silk & Bronze strings both John Pearse and GHS are very good.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-22-2019, 05:46 PM

I use John Pearse Nuages on most of my guitars and prefer them to his Silks

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 06-22-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

John Pearse bronze and silk sound really good on my Mahogany and Addie OM. The seem to squeak less than the GHS silk and bronze, and least in the way that I play.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 10-03-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
I use John Pearse Nuages on most of my guitars and prefer them to his Silks
I really liked the Nuages on my Yamaha APX BUT the low strings did not produce enough 'body' to be picked up by the piezo ust, especially the low E which i believe is .045 (they are not available in higher gauges). I didnt think that would be an issue w a plug in guitar but it is. Adding more low end didnt fix it either. Would not be an issue when playing Django style.
I ordered a set of medium Silks. .053 low E.
Right now i use a set of Monel strings. Piano like low strings but a little tougher to play. Plenty of low end but maybe too much.
For piezo i really dont like 80/20 when digging in. Im hoping the Silks will lessen the string scratch and hopefully the 'quack' somewhat.
Ive tried the Nuages on various steel string guitars but could not find a right fit. I have a feeling they might be rightfor a small instrument that doesnt depend on the low end.

Last edited by ballynally; 10-03-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:59 PM

I have used JP's before but not the silk and PB. Definitely on the list to try on my 000-18. Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:19 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
There are 2 John Pearse 'Silks' - they are Silk & Steel and Silk & Bronze.

Quite different in how they feel and sound.

The Silk & Steels are similar in feel with Plectrums, the Silk & Bronze are more like a warm sounding Phosphor Bronze string.

La Bella make a very good Silk & Steel string that come close to Plectrums for a much lower price.

I believe the JP silks are silk and bronze only. The other ones are Nuages which come w a .045 /.046 low E. Thats too thin a gauge for my taste.
Look at the variety of the low E on various silk string brands.
.059 on TI.056 on laBella, then some w .054, .053 and .050.
My guess would be those different gauges might reflect the relationship between the thickness of the core, the silk and the winding.
The TIs are probably round core and TIs are overall thicker in gauges but retain the tention of other brands w lower gauges.

Last edited by ballynally; 10-03-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:29 PM

+1 own the JP Silk and Phosphors, I've been using them for years and they sound really good on almost everything I have put them on. Low tension too.

OTOH, I have tried the La Bella's on a couple newer Martin small bodied guitars because I like the feel of them so much - 00-30vs and 00-28vs - and I found them very dull sounding BUT I just got a '64 00-21NY and they sound fantastic one it, better even than the JPs ..... easy on the fingers and very low tension too.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of silk & steel strings on small-bodied 12-fretters. I've always used LaBellas before, but tried the John Pearse Silk & PB Lights on the little Martin I just got.

Very impressed! They sound like they were made for that guitar, and they feel good too.

20210901_171900.jpg
Old 10-04-2021, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

What a coincidence.....I currently have these JP's on my Taylor and am about to try out the GHS set on my next string change. I am very pleased with the JPs so it will be interesting to see (hear) how the GHS compare.

These really tamed the shimmer and added a nice warmth to the guitar.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I’ve used the JP silks before and liked them.

Straight from the John Pearse website (emphasis added mine):

“ The exciting new SILKS sets mark a departure from orthodox acoustic string design. Formulated for the electric guitarist who doubles on acoustic, this set features a never before possible "playing ease" tension married with the warmth and projection for which our acoustic strings are famous. Our triple annealed mild steel is pulled through a draw plate to make an extra skinny core. Onto this is wound a silk multifilament which cushions a phospor bronze winding. This is NOT a silk and steel set. The natural edginess of the phosphor bronze winding is tempered by the silk cushion to produce a tone that studio players everywhere are likening to our 80/20 bronze sets after they have been played in. Steve Sheehan, lead guitarist with the Judds, asked us to make this set. Guitarists all over America are thanking him!”
Old 10-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I recently put a set of the JP PB/silk on an OM style guitar, cocobolo/engelmann. Well, what a revelation this has been.

Physically, they're awesome for me as I have mild arthritis and chemo-induced neuropathy. These things are so nice to fret, bend, etc. What a joy.

And so is the sound. I also have some moderate hearing loss but the sounds from these strings (and the top of course) are ringing through very nicely.

I'm loving these things and look forward to trying a set on some of my other instruments.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion