The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 06:59 PM

My Yamaha FG730S because it was and still is shockingly jaw-dropping awesome! I’ve played many high end guitars that didn’t compare to it.

Martin acoustics
Fender and Gibson electrics
Old 06-23-2019, 12:06 AM

The guitar purchase that has surprised me (and pleased me) the most was my most recent buy.

After having it on the back burner wish list since it became available, I bought a Farida Old Town 22 from Elderly Instruments.
The OT 22 was well received when it first came out. It sounded good on the YouTube videos that were posted.

That this guitar was a project that Stan Werbin was involved in gave a certain credibility to the guitar.

Originally, it just seemed like it would be a fun guitar to have.(It is.)

More recently, it became necessary to have guitars that were easier to play. I sold some guitars that I could no longer play very well, physically. I bought guitars that worked better for me. What they have in common is a short scale and a neck shape/nutwidth that worked better for a weaked fretting hand.

So now, the OT 22 met the requirements and at a modest price. The 22 is pretty much a Gibson LG 2 clone.

Well, I got the guitar and was immediately pleased with it. It has a bigger and better tone than one might expect. The build quality is excellent.
I don't think of it as cheap import. I don't kid myself- that it is on par with the Gibson. But at about 1/4 the going rate for a late model used LG2 American Eagle, It is quite amazing.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:57 AM

Bob Thompson oversized OM with Brazilian back/sides and torrified Englemann top. I had picked up a DN from Bob the year before. Great guitar. This guitar is just plain other worldly. Great for flat picking and fingerstyle.

Don't get me wrong, I own other great guitars. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find something that is as nice or can top this one.

The last time I brought it out to a jam session, I was having a good night and the OM sounds insanely good. I was asked if I had a music degree. I took that as a very nice compliment. Sadly, I took way more biology and chemistry in college than music.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:59 AM

Bob Thompson oversized OM with Brazilian back/sides and torrified Englemann top. I had picked up a DN from Bob the year before. Great guitar. This guitar is just plain other worldly. Great for flat picking and fingerstyle.

Don't get me wrong, I own other great guitars. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find something that is as nice or can top this one.

The last time I brought it out to a jam session, I was having a good night and the OM sounds insanely good. I was asked if I had a music degree. I took that as a very nice compliment. Sadly, I took way more biology and chemistry in college than music.[/QUOTE]

Oh my stars! Having recently acquired a great 2015 Bob Thompson dreadnought I can only imagine what an incredible guitar that oversized OM is! Wow!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:17 AM

It's not a guitar I purchased or even played. Living in Indiana it's well known that Colts owner Jim Irsay has an extensive guitar collection.

He just purchased Dave Gilmour's black Strat for $3.9 million. Yes it was for charity which Mr. Irsay is known to be very giving at times. But $3.9 million is amazing to me.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion