The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 12:39 PM

The Thalia works well on Taylors from a fretting perspective, but it is so bulky it takes away most of the playability of the fret in front of it. As an alternate I find the D'Addario Cradle Capo works well on my 517.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 06-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
The Thalia works well on Taylors from a fretting perspective, but it is so bulky it takes away most of the playability of the fret in front of it. As an alternate I find the D'Addario Cradle Capo works well on my 517.
I didn't like the bulkiness, heft, and difficulty of the Thalia. It took a lot of effort to get it to work correctly. Granted, I never had an issue with buzzing, but that is because the Thalia choked the neck into submission!
Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I returned the G7th Performance 3 as it wasn't the holy grail for tuning, and I found it cumbersome to squeeze it tightly enough to avoid buzzing.
If I had more money, I would try the G7th Heritage capo.
Currently, I use the Shubb Deluxe capo. It is easy to put on, it doesn't buzz, and it's a little better than average for tuning.
Yes I have the performance 3 too and I'm not a huge fan. I wish I could return it, I've never spent that much on a capo before. I always have issues with low e going out of tune. I've started using my Paige again and it seems to do better with certain guitars. I'm wondering if the Heritage is really an upgrade to Paige capo?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I suggest a Shubb basic model C1.

+1 for the Shubb C1. Bought one after researching the AGF. It’s a great capo for the price.

Grandpa's Washburn
Taylor 114ce
Gibson Southern Jumbo
Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Capos and fitting on a guitar is simple mechanics.
Absolutely!! Stick with a Paige, Shubb, or Elliot style. I would never use a capo that didn't have some means of controlling the tension.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:08 PM

So I confirmed my issue is the Performance 2 capo. The area where the bottom meets the neck just can’t leverage itself correctly in order to apply enough pressure on the pointy end of the capo. It’s fine up the neck as the compound radius rounds out.

So there you have it. The only issue so far with the 717. Finicky with capos! Lol
Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 PM

I found my very new G7 Performance 3 just too finicky to bother with on my guitars. It takes more fiddling than I'd like to give to get it right on a couple of my guitars, and it just won't capo properly on another. And while I haven't had tuning issues with the G7, I don't have them when using Shubb Deluxe or Standard capos--which are a breeze to use, and work perfectly on all my guitars.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Capos and fitting on a guitar is simple mechanics.
And I fully support SM’s recommendation.

I’ve tried many - perhaps most - capos, including Elliott and Shubb Finetune stirrup-types, G7th Performance and Performance 2, G7th Newport, G7th Original, G7th Heritage, Planet Waves NS, Planet Waves Tri, JD Victor, and a number of others, but I come back to the standard Shubb or Shubb deLuxe every time.

Fast, uncomplicated, easily-adjusted pressure, used properly there’s very little tendency to knock tuning off (and if that E goes a fraction off, it’s a second or two to tweak it), replacement rubbers available. And they last for ever.

I sold my Elliott, I still occasionally use the G7th Heritage and Shubb Finetune at home, but otherwise it’s the Shubbs every time for me.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 PM

Did you happen to try the capo before you changed the factory strings? Just wondering.

Anyhow, I have never seen or heard one in the flesh, but Taylor have some new capos. They may just have tried them on ....their necks. Maybe not.

https://www.themusiczoo.com/collections/taylor/capos

I have all or most capos in a drawer and always use my Shubb C1 or Shubb Capo Noir black on ..black guitars. I use my Elliot brass Elite on my Maton Messiah 808...(neck radius being 12" on the Maton).

BluesKing777.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Did you happen to try the capo before you changed the factory strings? Just wondering.

Anyhow, I have never seen or heard one in the flesh, but Taylor have some new capos. They may just have tried them on ....their necks. Maybe not.

https://www.themusiczoo.com/collections/taylor/capos

I have all or most capos in a drawer and always use my Shubb C1 or Shubb Capo Noir black on ..black guitars. I use my Elliot brass Elite on my Maton Messiah 808...(neck radius being 12" on the Maton).

BluesKing777.

That's interesting! Looks like the Paige honestly. I wonder if that is what it is?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
So I confirmed my issue is the Performance 2 capo. The area where the bottom meets the neck just can’t leverage itself correctly in order to apply enough pressure on the pointy end of the capo. It’s fine up the neck as the compound radius rounds out.

So there you have it. The only issue so far with the 717. Finicky with capos! Lol
A small price to pay since there are good choices out there for capos and you love the guitar otherwise.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
A small price to pay since there are good choices out there for capos and you love the guitar otherwise.

Best,
Jayne
Exactly right! I didn't realize how chunky the neck was until I played my D-18 again. Makes the D-18 feel really skinny!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:18 PM

I will play mine again in a mo, to double check, but when I used my G7-2 with the 717e, it was really nice. I use the Shubb mainly because I could set it in my sleep. But anyway, same guitar, same neck, but I kept the Elixir Medium thing and the Tusq saddle.......no buzz, no rattles.

So maybe before you buy 10 more capos, slip the old saddle in, just to see. Put the Elixir mediums on to really know.....they have more tension than what you have now......

BluesKing777.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I will play mine again in a mo, to double check, but when I used my G7-2 with the 717e, it was really nice. I use the Shubb mainly because I could set it in my sleep. But anyway, same guitar, same neck, but I kept the Elixir Medium thing and the Tusq saddle.......no buzz, no rattles.

So maybe before you buy 10 more capos, slip the old saddle in, just to see. Put the Elixir mediums on to really know.....they have more tension than what you have now......

BluesKing777.

Try it in the first fret. That’s the bad one for me. When I press the strings with my fingers, no buzz. So I don’t think it’s a guitar issue.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Try it in the first fret. That’s the bad one for me. When I press the strings with my fingers, no buzz. So I don’t think it’s a guitar issue.
1st to 5th all good with the G7-2.

Also tried Shubb, slight buzz 5th fret 1st string...suspected for a while I have worn poor old Shubby out. Have some newer ones slightly different models in a box or bag somewhere.

Tried my Elliot Elite, all good.

Planet Waves NS something, all good.....really good on this guitar but not much on my old Gibson L-0 so gathering dust until today.

I can also tell you that cowboy chords C to F in 1 to 4 with a few hammers on sounded so good on the guitar top that I may have wandered off... Wow, thing is even better today!

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion