The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-31-2019, 11:20 PM

Default Yamaha AE1200S refinish

I'm refinishing a 1988 Yamaha AE1200S. It's a solid wood guitar, solid spruce top, birch back and sides and maple neck. It originally had a sunburst and was finisihed in polyester but as it was made in Taiwan, it had bad milky clouding in the finish like many of them did. It is a great playing and sounding guitar, but I don't like sunbursts especially not heavy polyester blotchey clouded ones.

It's been sanded down carefully and has the first two coats of behlens vinyl sealer on it. I want to do two things before I proceed with the nitro topcoats.

I want to paint a stinger on the back of the headstock
and I want to do one light coat of amber/pine tint to give the finish a bit of an ambered lacquer look

I've had trouble with behlens black paint bleeding into nitro before so If I did that first I would want to hit the back of the headstock with another coat of vinyl sealer.

Then maybe amber and then clear topcoats?

Sound good?

Old 06-01-2019, 07:10 AM

You could try black opaque color tint in lacquer instead of paint, or try sealing the paint with dewaxed shellac. I normally need 4 - 6 coats of amber tinted lacquer to get the depth of color I like, but you can judge that as you spray. Just stop when you get the color you want. Then 10 coats of clear, and sand/polish after a month or so.
1946 Epiphone Zephyr electric archtop
1957 Hofner Senator archtop
1962 Gibson Melody Maker electric
1963 National Dynamic lap steel
1996 Landola jumbo
1998 Godin Artisan TC electric
1998 Epiphone SG electric
2010 GoldTone PBR-CA resonator
2015 Evans electric archtop
2016 Evans archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops