The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-31-2019, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman AR805 For Blues?

I know, you can play blues on any guitar But like many flat top players, a nice arch top has always caught my attention. To my point: I'm a finger style blues player and enjoy my Martin 000-15S, Taylor 614ce and Farida OT-22 for different reasons but mainly blues picking. I have my eye on the AR805 for something different in my quiver. If I pull the trigger it would be for the non cutaway full acoustic model with no pickup. I know they are good instruments, but does anyone out there use them for this kind of playing style?
Old 05-31-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I have one, and whilst I wouldn't normally use it for the style you propose here is a sample of some stuff I've done on it :

Old 05-31-2019, 10:02 AM

Be great with a pickup for some "uptown" blues...

It would not be my first choice for a gutbucket acoustic blues sound. It's just too "polite" sounding. That's kind of the Eastman archtop tone, they're like baby Benedettos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-01-2019, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, guys. I agree that the 805 maybe is not the best choice for low down gut bucket stuff and I think that's what the attraction is, for me at least. It might lead me into a different thing. Silly Moustache, your playing is great and kind of what I have in mind with this guitar. Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Be great with a pickup for some "uptown" blues...

It would not be my first choice for a gutbucket acoustic blues sound. It's just too "polite" sounding. That's kind of the Eastman archtop tone, they're like baby Benedettos.
I used to have an AR805e - with a floating pick-up. I traded it because it seems a shame to have a p/up on a great acoustic,

Old 06-01-2019, 09:59 AM

I'm a recent AR805 owner and find it delightfully impolite compared to my flattop guitars.

29er, I suggest you play one to decide if the 53mm bridge string spacing works for you playing fingerstyle. I play with a pick, so not an issue for me.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Thanks, guys. I agree that the 805 maybe is not the best choice for low down gut bucket stuff and I think that's what the attraction is, for me at least. It might lead me into a different thing. Silly Moustache, your playing is great and kind of what I have in mind with this guitar. Thanks again.
Never a bad thing! Go for it.

Eastman makes some really nice guitars.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

I bought an Eastman 805-an awesome guitar-a few months ago and would offer the following assessment:

I can fingerpick blues and folky stuff, but this guitar comes alive with a stiff pick. I moved away from flatpicking and have been primarily fingerpicking and finger strumming my flattops for a number of years. I do play my 805 this way. It gives a warm, fairly mellow tone when fingerpicked...it's nice, responds well, but is somewhat restrained. It becomes a brash, aggressive beastie under a flatpick. It sounds good under my fingers, again at its best under a pick.

Overall these guitars have a strong acoustic presence. My 805 raised the eyebrows of a guy with whom I jammed recently. He was expecting a more restrained midrange "pokey" character common to archies. Even with a finger strum I hit a E7+9 chord and the guy simply said "Woah!". They're cool guitars!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again for the input. I have decided to take the plunge and just purchased a 2015 model and should have it early next week. Looking forward to an expanded tonal palate in my little collection!
Old 06-05-2019, 07:13 AM

Post pictures!!! (when it arrives)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops