The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-01-2017, 01:28 AM

Default Amulet Stereo / Mag Sound Hole combo?

I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has combined an Amulet stereo system with a mag soundhole pickup (e.g.Baggs M80) and then routed both signals into a Grace Design Felix for EQ on each source before shipping the output off to a desk.

I understand that the stereo amulet can be configured in this way by utilising one of it's two channels for an additional source, but I'm a little confused about the requirement for powering the Amulet via an outboard system.

Many thanks.

Last edited by AndyC; 06-01-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Is it possible to combine an Amulet stereo system with a mag soundhole pickup (Baggs M80) and then route both signals into a Grace Design Felix for EQ on each source before shipping the output off to a desk?

I understand that the stereo amulet can be configured in this way by utilising one of it's two channels for an additional source, but I'm getting confused about the requirement for powering the Amulet via an outboard system.

Many thanks.
Do you mean using phantom power on an amulet stereo system with a mag pickup?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
Do you mean using phantom power on an amulet stereo system with a mag pickup?
Not necessarily!
Old 06-01-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily!
Then can youy explain a little bit more. I don't quite get your question.
1 sensor+mag into endpin instead of 2 sensors?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Most multi-source systems use two mono sources sent to the ring and tip of the stereo jack. I suppose you could install a Trance Amulet Mono system and see if they can provide you with a terminal for the mag? Or use a a second jack in the endblock and use a y cable to sum them to the pre-amp.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:42 PM

With the Amulet stereo system, you can actually route both sensors to one internal preamp channel (Double or Dual Mono I suppose you could call it...!) and then you can attach a magnetic pickup to the second channel, with both outputs being available seperately to then take to a mixing desk / outboard preamp for further EQ'ing and mixing.

More here:

http://www.tranceaudio.com/manuals/AMU-MANUAL.pdf
Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
With the Amulet stereo system, you can actually route both sensors to one internal preamp channel (Double or Dual Mono I suppose you could call it...!) and then you can attach a magnetic pickup to the second channel, with both outputs being available seperately to then take to a mixing desk / outboard preamp for further EQ'ing and mixing.

More here:

http://www.tranceaudio.com/manuals/AMU-MANUAL.pdf
If I am understanding this correctly, you may not actually do that. The instruction is explaining that you don't necessarily need to use both or even any lens pickup. The diagram is just an example saying you may REPLACE one lens pickup with a mag, but not ADDING one on top of the 2 sensors
Old 06-01-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Most multi-source systems use two mono sources sent to the ring and tip of the stereo jack. I suppose you could install a Trance Amulet Mono system and see if they can provide you with a terminal for the mag? Or use a a second jack in the endblock and use a y cable to sum them to the pre-amp.
The Amulet M according to the manual will not accept stereo jack or it may not power up correctly
Old 06-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
If I am understanding this correctly, you may not actually do that. The instruction is explaining that you don't necessarily need to use both or even any lens pickup. The diagram is just an example saying you may REPLACE one lens pickup with a mag, but not ADDING one on top of the 2 sensors
I've actually been in direct contact with Trance Audio, and you can do it - the two Amulet sensors would be connected in parallel to one circuit (and I know that isn't actually shown in the circuit diagram), and the soundhole mag to the second.

I'm not seeking technical input here as to whether or not it is achievable (I know that it is) - I was actually looking for any comments from anybody that has actually done this!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The Amulet M according to the manual will not accept stereo jack or it may not power up correctly
The amulet stereo system doen't have a jack out - it's a special 5 pin stereo cable that attaches to an external control module. Don't confuse this with the dual mono system.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I've actually been in direct contact with Trance Audio, and you can do it - the two Amulet sensors would be connected in parallel to one circuit (and I know that isn't actually shown in the circuit diagram), and the soundhole mag to the second.

I'm not seeking technical input here as to whether or not it is achievable (I know that it is) - I was actually looking for any comments from anybody that has actually done this!
OK so rewiring is going on and that will do. The tip and ring issue is just a reply to the previous fellow's comment, nothing to do with the discussion with your subject
Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
OK so rewiring is going on and that will do. The tip and ring issue is just a reply to the previous fellow's comment, nothing to do with the discussion with your subject
Understood - thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification