The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 05:56 AM

Default LR Baggs ibeam opinion

Hi I thought I posted this question , sorry if it's a repeat. I just sent for the IBeam IMix for my Larrivee. My other pickup has problems. What do you guys think of it? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:26 AM

I like my I-Beam Active (D15). I've had it for over 15 years. Mine is a bit heavy in the mids but that may very well be because of placement. I've been too chicken to move it. It's not anything some EQ doesn't take care of.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:58 AM

I just loved it when I used to mic my acoustics. ;-)
Old 07-21-2019, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi I thought I posted this question , sorry if it's a repeat. I just sent for the IBeam IMix for my Larrivee. My other pickup has problems. What do you guys think of it? Thanks.
Hi e-sore
They were a fore-runner to the K&K and other SBT pickups.

The first time I heard one, it sounded pretty good, and the installer at the store (Bobby's Music in Denver) said, "Yeah - we only had to move it 3 times to hit the right spot".

He was talking about shifting it's position for optimum tone and feedback resistance. I lived over 100 miles away, and didn't have time or inclination to experiment at that distance.

I have a friend with one that works great in his guitar, and another friend who has one installed and it howls like crazy at slightest provocation.

Hoping you find the optimum spot easily. Perhaps they have improved it since then (about 20 years back).

The iMix is a solid preamp. I had one for about 7 years in my Olson coupled with an internal mic and Baggs LB-6. Really decent sounding on-the-fly pickup rig. You'd be wise to use a pencil with an eraser to adjust switches through the sound-hole without loosening the strings to get your hand inside the guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-21-2019, 07:06 AM

What Larry said has been my experience as well. Dialed in they’re excellent.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:56 AM

I have an ibeam in my Collings D2H. I think it sounds pretty good overall. I was originally going to go with a lyric, but the shop I went to recommended the ibeam. I thought it was worth a try and it seems to work well.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:18 AM

I have one in my E10 00 SS. I get some feedback issues now and again.
Outside of that, it's a good pick up. Came recommended by my guitar tech.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-21-2019, 11:17 AM

Ok ,well all hate feedback ; I'm terrible when I try to tame it,but fortunately I don't play too loud. It's just that other pup in there dosen't work well at all. I don't use this guitar as much as my others. If I'm not happy with it this time... well ,my loss;I''l have to bite the bullet and put it out to pasteur.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:44 PM

It was good in a dreadnought, but I had it swapped out and put in a single 0 and it sounded terrible. Could have been the placement thing that others have been talking about, but it just felt to me that it wasn't at all right for a small guitar.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:28 PM

It’s a lot of mass to have dangling from a key part of the soundboard. It was state of the art 15 years ago. Sounded fine to my ear plugged in, but comparable guitars with and without the pickup showed a discernible difference. I don’t want anything dampening the resonance of the top, so, where I use a pickup, it’s a K&K.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Ok ,well all hate feedback ; I'm terrible when I try to tame it,but fortunately I don't play too loud. It's just that other pup in there dosen't work well at all. I don't use this guitar as much as my others. If I'm not happy with it this time... well ,my loss;I''l have to bite the bullet and put it out to pasteur.
Hi es
I hope it works for you.

The iMix preamp is solid. If it doesn't work with an iBeam, it can work with an LB-6 or other pickup.

Sorry if you thought all the feedback was 'hate' based. It's more like the iBeam looks better on paper than the reality. Like I shared, one of my friends has one installed in a Jumbo Taylor and it sounds great. Yours will hopefully be just fine.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-21-2019, 06:03 PM

well it was alot of money for an exoeriment. but... if it doesn't work ,i'm gonna say adios to this guitar .i like playing it ,but to gig with it ,just isn't happening.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion