The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-20-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Wow Glenn. What an opportunity but also a great responsibility it must have been for your dad. Knowing that if that engine didn't work those guys weren't coming home.
When the moon landing happened, I was at my girlfriend's (my wife, now) house watching it happen on their TV. My younger siblings were at home with my parents and later told me that my dad was, in fact, immensely relieved when the ascent engine worked as it was supposed to.

Neil Armstrong's opinion all along was that there were tens of thousands of responsible, reliable people working on so many aspects of the space mission. It was a huge undertaking and failure in any one area could have spelled disaster. My dad's work was just one aspect of a huge effort. Just about every contribution from every worker mattered greatly.

The Apollo program was a good example of a lot of people working together to make something positive happen. As my dad pointed out to me once, the program was a way to advance technology that didn't involve war. Which, of course, was a good thing.

- Glenn
Old 07-22-2019, 04:48 PM

I've watched it now. At first, I found the interspersed reenactment segments a bit odd, but it probably helps tell the story from a more personal viewpoint of the astronauts. Reenactments make me nervous, as they can be rife with revisionist history - aka the director's personal perspective.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Watched it last night, in the same room (oddly) that I watched it 50 years ago. In July ‘69, I was staying with my grandmother in her old farmhouse in Wilkes. My mom, dad, aunt, and cousins watched the Eagle land. I live there now when I’m not working in Ga.

Brought back lots of memories of my family—and of watching Cronkite, Severide, Wally Shirra. Imagine how Mike Collins felt all that time alone?

Remarkable achievement.

Yes, I used to play in bars behind chickenwire, but that was to protect the audience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic