The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-05-2019, 09:28 PM

Take a look at the Zoom Q8. It's basically a good-quality portable audio recorder with an HD video camera. It has built-in x-y stereo mics,but has XLR/1/4" combo ports for external mics, mixer, instrument, etc. It even provides phantom power for condenser mics.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-06-2019, 04:04 AM

I recorded everything with audio for a long time. That included jam sessions, gigs, band practice and so on. The thing about it was that it was easy to split the recording into MP3s and post the good ones to SoundCloud. I used a Tascam DR-07 at first and then replaced it with a Tascam DR-05. I used Audacity to normalize the recording and then split it. I could do this very quickly!! An aside: my wife teased me about my recording habits and I stopped for a bit. Then I took my one lesson from Wayne Krantz. He advised me to start recording everything which I did!!

A few years ago my music marketing contact told me to start with video. I tried but it was such a pain. I had a Sony Handycam 101PNV01 which I bought for family use. I would record and then spend hours and hours working on the video with Microsoft Movie Maker. In 2017, I worked towards being able to video. Here are my choices.

Video Camera: I started Sony Handycam. I also had a Polaroid Cube which I liked the convenience. Note that like a lot of video cameras it splits the recording into small files. I checked out high-end video cameras like the Sony cx625b and Sony vx450. These have great video/audio but all video cameras have the same problem: battery life is about 1 to 1.5 HR. The high-end cameras are also bulky, expensive, and fragile. I settled on the GoPro Session 4 which is affordable, easy to use, and easy to carry. I just throw it into my gig bag along with a power bank and my Tascam recorder.

Audio Quality: The GoPro audio quality is good enough for me. If I need better audio quality I can use the video from the GoPro and the audio from the Tascam.

Battery Life: I solved the battery issue by using a power pack. Of course, if you can plug in the camera this is not an issue. With the power bank I have more than enough battery life for a 2 - 3 hour gig.

Video software: I reviewed a lot of video software. I tried paid video editing software: Filmora, CyberLink Power, Magix Movie Edit Pro, Corel Video Studio Pro (would not install), and some free video editing software: Hitfilm 4 Express, DaVinci Resolve 12.5 (crashed a lot), Shotcut Video Editor. The best one of the bunch was HitFilm (current version is 5). With HitFilm it is easy join, cut, and produce an MP4. It is available for Windows and Mac. Bottom line is that I do this quickly like I did with MP3s.
https://hitfilm.com/express

Here is a video made with my Sony Handycam (2017).

Another video made with my Polaroid Cube (2017).

A video made with my GoPro Session (2018) with my band.

A video made with my GoPro Session (2018) for a sing-along. Nothing beats the grab-n-go of the GoPro.

Here is my video recording rig.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com

Last edited by rabbuhl; 07-06-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
To me, the easiest thing, or at least the way to get the best results, is to record audio and video separately and sync in post. It seems to scare people, but it's not hard at all. You can do it manually - just clap at the beginning, or if you have the right software, it can be done automatically. I use Final Cut Pro, and all I do is drag in the audio and video files, and the software syncs them perfectly. Premiere has this too, I believe. With other editors, you can use Pluraleyes. Open the files and it syncs them. By using a camera that's good for video and a recorder that's good for audio, you avoid all the issues that come with camera audio, and the syncing is a non-event.

I recently was involved in a shoot using high end cameras that have dual XLR inputs, so we used them. 2 cameras, 4 mics. (Note, we still had to sync the 2 cameras). 2 of the mic channels failed for unknown reasons and it wasn't clear during the shoot. I wished I'd just taken my Zoom and recorded the audio, since I'm sure that won't fail.
Humm I am relatively new at video and was not aware that FCPX did this I have always just used the clap or pic tap method and associated visual waveform to manually sync. Good argument for reading the whole manual first
So I am guessing you have the audio from the camera also to enable FCP to automatically sync to the Audio files ? Then I presume mute or delete the audio from the camera once synced ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-06-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm I am relatively new at video and was not aware that FCPX did this I have always just used the clap or pic tap method and associated visual waveform to manually sync
So I am guessing you have the audio from the camera also to enable FCP to automatically sync to the Audio files ? Then I presume mute or delete the audio from the camera once synced ?
Using camera audio to sync is an option - and what I normally use. I think the other choice is timecode, if you have higher end cameras. What I do is create a "multicam clip". This is a single clip that contains the audio and however many cameras you have (could just be one). You select the clip to use as the audio and which to use as video. If I have multiple cameras, I can just select the audio source once, then flip between the video angles on the fly while I watch it play. Here's an example of what FCP looked like in the shoot I did recently with Steve Baughman, using 4 cameras and separate audio:

STeve_Multicam.jpg
In the grid on the left, I have the audio mix selected (green) for audio, and then I can see each camera. I currently have the camera labeled "left" selected (in blue), which is what is showing in the full viewer on the right. If you just have 1 camera and audio you wouldn't be flipping between cameras, but the rest would work the same. With just one camera and audio, I seem to recall that FCP is smart enough to know which clips to set to what.

FCP does a good job of syncing - I just did a project where we had an audio mix, 4 cameras that ran the duration of the session, and a guy using a handheld camera that he'd shoot short clips with. So I ended up with the 4 full length videos and dozens of short videos all taken at different times. I just threw them all in FCP, created the multicam clip, and FCP figured out where all the short clips went, lined everything up. Then I could watch the multicam display and just click to pick the camera to show at any point.

This probably sounds complicated, but it's really easy - much simpler to do than describe. This seems to come up often, maybe I'll make a demo video, tho there must be some out there already.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

It depends on how the audio track on the video sounds how well the auto-sync will work. Most of the time it's as good as eyeballing waveforms or matching a clap[board] spike, but in live settings I've seen the camera audio just overwhelmed with the ambient noise and then FCPX might not do it perfectly.

The nice thing is that you can edit your multicam clip before you do the angle view in a project or even after and make adjustments to align an angle that didn't sync up to your satisfaction. I've had to do this a few times. (Editing the mcc itself is a lot easier if you are doing color matching or a slight angle adjustment/rotation on an entire angle's clip.)

There's a lot to like about FCPX. I just wish I had the time to invest in Motion, or the money to spend on a lot of the transitions and titles folks have done!

P.S. The multicam clip feature is good for doing split-screen and pip stuff if it needs audio sync, as well. At least, it's easier for me
Old 07-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I
P.S. The multicam clip feature is good for doing split-screen and pip stuff if it needs audio sync, as well. At least, it's easier for me
I've used synchronized clips for PIP/split screen. How do you use MCC? (Sorry, thread drift...)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Using camera audio to sync is an option - and what I normally use. I think the other choice is timecode, if you have higher end cameras. What I do is create a "multicam clip". This is a single clip that contains the audio and however many cameras you have (could just be one). You select the clip to use as the audio and which to use as video. If I have multiple cameras, I can just select the audio source once, then flip between the video angles on the fly while I watch it play. Here's an example of what FCP looked like in the shoot I did recently with Steve Baughman, using 4 cameras and separate audio:

Attachment 24466
In the grid on the left, I have the audio mix selected (green) for audio, and then I can see each camera. I currently have the camera labeled "left" selected (in blue), which is what is showing in the full viewer on the right. If you just have 1 camera and audio you wouldn't be flipping between cameras, but the rest would work the same. With just one camera and audio, I seem to recall that FCP is smart enough to know which clips to set to what.

FCP does a good job of syncing - I just did a project where we had an audio mix, 4 cameras that ran the duration of the session, and a guy using a handheld camera that he'd shoot short clips with. So I ended up with the 4 full length videos and dozens of short videos all taken at different times. I just threw them all in FCP, created the multicam clip, and FCP figured out where all the short clips went, lined everything up. Then I could watch the multicam display and just click to pick the camera to show at any point.

This probably sounds complicated, but it's really easy - much simpler to do than describe. This seems to come up often, maybe I'll make a demo video, tho there must be some out there already.
Hey thanks for the reply, I have done a couple multi-cam but had not had FCP auto sync . I will try on the next project.
This is second multi-cam I tried with first try at green screen also. (Not thrilled with the greenish patches on guitar body close cam shot ) but it was an interesting project none the less.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-06-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am relatively new at video and was not aware that FCPX did this I have always just used the clap or pic tap method and associated visual waveform to manually sync.
Hi KW

YouTube is our friend. Several ways to sync them in post, but this is a simple one.

Sync Audio/Video FCPX - CliCk

Final Cut ProX and Premier (etc) all depend on the original clip to have audio so it knows what to sync with. You can turn off the original audio after it's synced.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've used synchronized clips for PIP/split screen. How do you use MCC? (Sorry, thread drift...)
After you have created the MCC, you just stack copies of them in the project. Then you can edit the frame size and location of the angles, with different angles selected in each MCC, and they will appear based on their stack order.

The last couple videos I posted with a split screen (one a little crooked ) were done that way.

P.S. Zero audio in all except one!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
After you have created the MCC, you just stack copies of them in the project. Then you can edit the frame size and location of the angles, with different angles selected in each MCC, and they will appear based on their stack order.

The last couple videos I posted with a split screen (one a little crooked ) were done that way.

P.S. Zero audio in all except one!
Ah, OK, that's what I do, I thought maybe there was a trick right in the MCC I didn't know about. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi KW

YouTube is our friend. Several ways to sync them in post, but this is a simple one.

Sync Audio/Video FCPX - CliCk

Final Cut ProX and Premier (etc) all depend on the original clip to have audio so it knows what to sync with. You can turn off the original audio after it's synced.

Yes that seems quicker than manually if accurate

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD