The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Did you really have high expectations?
No, of course I didn't have high expectations for a $200 Martin Backpacker.
At that size and shape it's clearly intended to be better than nothing for backpacking, camping, and the beach.
I was just expecting better sound, considering the name on the head.
IMO by making these ultra low end guitars, Martin tarnishes its lofty image.

Over 55 years I've had over 25 guitars, from the early 1960s S&H Green Stamp GOS (guitar shaped object) to a Martin Authentic.

Even taking into account the lower expectations for the lower price, the Martin Backpacker was by far the most disappointing.
Martin still sells this clearly successful product, so lots of folks like them ... so as always YMMV.

Last edited by Tico; 06-22-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:34 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
No, of course I didn't have high expectations for a $200 Martin Backpacker.
At that size and shape it's clearly intended to be better than nothing for backpacking, camping, and the beach.
I was just expecting better sound, considering the name on the head.
IMO by making these ultra low end guitars, Martin tarnishes its lofty image.
I agree -- I've had canoe paddles with better tone, BUT ... when the Backpacker was introduced, there was really nothing else like it that had a full-size neck and that was truly "backpack-able" -- something you could take on multi-day trips in the backcountry when weight and space were critical considerations. So while I was disappointed in mine as a travel guitar, it's not Martin's fault that I used it for purposes it probably wasn't intended for.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:26 PM

I haven’t had any truly disappointing acoustic guitar purchases for a long, long time, since back in the early 1990’s when the whole industry was recovering from the general slump of the 1980s. My base point since taking up the hobby again has been the Yamaha FG line, and the instruments have all been outstanding for the price and for reliability.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

1973 Martin D-18 bought new. I believe I was one of the unlucky ones who had one with the bridge mis-positioned, as it is now known for that era. Intonation/general tuning was terrible, hated the Grovers. And the back seam developed a crack within the first year. To make it all the more painful in recollection, I now wish I'd had the bridge issue fixed and then kept it. I'd now have cool 46 year old D-18! But we didn't know what the issue was back then.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Although I've owned over a dozen great Larrivee's which eventually led me to an artist deal there was one out of the bunch that I had to return within 48 hrs because it was underwhelming. Mind you, this was before they offered me an endorsement, but a certain shop used to sell a lot of custom Larrivees exclusively in all kinds of wood combos and I was keen on having a cedar/walnut L-03 and when I got it I realized why Larrivee doesn't do cedar for any of their standard series guitars....it just didn't agree with their bracing/construction methods...it was just mushy, unbalanced and uninspiring.

Full disclaimer: I've owned and enjoyed Sitka, Italian, and Engelmann-topped Larrivee's with all kinds of backs from Indian rosewood to Madagascan rosewood, Peruvian walnut, Claro walnut, Ziricote, mahogany, maple, and even Malaysian blackwood and they are consistently great (or I wouldn't have agreed to a deal with them) but it had to have been the Cedar that just made it feel a little "off".

I'm certain Jean or his sons could build a great cedar guitar otherwise but maybe from a large scale production standpoint Jean is picky about the consistency in quality of red cedar (same as why he doesn't use Engelmann anymore). Who knows.

I never like to bash guitars that are made in a factory either, its no surprise to me that more than half the responses here are Martin or Taylors....every guitar is different just like every piece of wood is different. That comment about the Backpacker gave me a good chuckle though
Larrivee L-09 (Italian/MRW)
Larrivee LS-03 (Italian/Mahogany)

Larrivee Guitars, D’Addario Strings, G7th Capos and K&K Sound Endorsee

"Woodscapes" Modern Solo-Guitar Album
Available now at www.dustinfurlow.com/shop
Old 06-23-2019, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

I ordered an ES-175 Steve Howe in 2000 and got one of the first off the line. Countless delays and missed ship dates, and three rounds of returns (1-factory and two local) for fit/finish issues made it a totally exasperating experience. Soured me on Gibson/Nashville big time.

It was a fine guitar after all that. I sold it (here) as the final step of my de-electrification process.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I just remembered another one that might be worse then the SC. I bought a use Razo guitar that I was really looking forward to. It arrived with a clean break across the neck so I had to send it back.
Taylor K66 Koa 12-string
Steve Denvir Custom OM Build #21
Steve Denvir Custom OM Build #25
Elijah Jewel Custom Build Dreadnought

...and whatever the next one is

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion