The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Default Synovitis of the fingers anyone?

Just wondering how many other Forumites are suffering from this affliction and what they do to lessen the pain.

A few months ago, I awoke (at my age, this alone is a good sign) and discovered that the index and middle fingers on both hands were not flexing and were causing great pain. Guitar playing has become agony, especially for the first few minutes of warm up. After that, it lessens to just painful. All relative.

Ultra sound and x-rays have since confirmed synovitis with some osteoarthritis thrown in for good measure. The advice has been to rest the fingers as much as possible along with ice and use of over the counter, anti inflammatory meds when I do play.

I should mention that my synovitis stems from an underlying autoimmune disease (Sjogren's Syndrome), not an infection. The same disease has also given me a recent diagnosis of leukemia (CLL). Answers to the name Lucky.

Any advice would be appreciated, otherwise look for the big guitar sell off in the Fall. . . .
Old 06-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Hi kiva238,

I do not suffer from the malady you describe but just wanted to say that I am sorry that you are dealing with something that is having such an adverse effect on you enjoying the guitar. I hope that you find some support and the right combination of treatments to still play and mitigate the pain. Best of luck to you!

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Hi kiva238,

I do not suffer from the malady you describe but just wanted to say that I am sorry that you are dealing with something that is having such an adverse effect on you enjoying the guitar. I hope that you find some support and the right combination of treatments to still play and mitigate the pain. Best of luck to you!

Best,
Jayne
Lovely sentiment, Jayne, and one that I would like to echo.

I'm 55 years old and am just starting to grapple with age-related issues. A couple of weeks ago, my fretting hand began feeling tight and weak, and the lower joint on my index finger in particular was tender enough that playing an open C chord was painful. I didn't play guitar for a few days, hoping that it was just age-related muscle cramping and not something chronic, like arthritis.

Fortunately it was just a temporary situation and it's fine now, but for a few days I was extremely concerned. I was forced to consider the possibility that my hands no longer worked right and my guitar-playing ability would be in decline, or even worse, I would have to give it up for good.

So, to those of you older folks for whom this is a reality, you have my deepest, most heartfelt sympathy.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 06-21-2019, 12:29 PM

I am not sure you suffer synovitis added on arthrosis as you also have Sjogren. I mean you could have real arthritis in addition to arthrosis : A relative began true arthritis by age 73 only ! You should seek the advice of a rheumatologist since a taylored medication could help control the disease.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and has had Synovitis — I think associated with her RA. She has used anti-inflammatory drugs and has gotten steroid shots into her joints on occasion. The shots really help and can last a long time (many months) when they work. Her case is different because she has to deal with the long term problems associated with RA, but Synovitis is nothing trivial. Do you have RA? Sounds like you need a trip to see the Doc! Good luck with that Kiva. I know it can be very painful.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 06-21-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
You should seek the advice of a rheumatologist since a taylored medication could help control the disease.
I see what you did there...!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 06-21-2019, 01:06 PM

Thank you for the kind words.

Unfortunately, I already am under the care of both a rheumatologist as well as an oncologist. I'm taking meds for the autoimmune disease. It's similar to RA and Lupus in many ways, so the pain and connection to the synovitis is well established.

I was more curious as to whether anyone here on the AGF had any practical tips for allowing guitar players to keep playing with synovitis. Eye of newt or some such thing. . . .
Old 06-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva238 View Post
Thank you for the kind words.

Unfortunately, I already am under the care of both a rheumatologist as well as an oncologist. I'm taking meds for the autoimmune disease. It's similar to RA and Lupus in many ways, so the pain and connection to the synovitis is well established.

I was more curious as to whether anyone here on the AGF had any practical tips for allowing guitar players to keep playing with synovitis. Eye of newt or some such thing. . . .
No eye of newt, but I did run across a couple of links to discussing the issue. Probably will not shed anymore light on it than you are already aware unfortunately. But certainly enlightened me as to some of the issues and approaches for musicians.

https://makingmusicmag.com/how-to-pr...-in-musicians/

This is an interesting in-depth paper on musician-related injuries with treatments and approaches so it might point you in the direction of some useful resources.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/62785226.pdf

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-21-2019, 05:42 PM

I have had issues with my fingers and hands that can make playing guitar painful and frustrating. Sometimes I find it is good to switch gears and play rudimentary piano and give the over used joints and muscles a break.

I hope you find someway to keep playing.

jerry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion