The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-03-2017, 02:00 PM

Default Classical guitar amplification

Hi, I'm getting passionate about nylon, but never had experience with amplify them. Besides condenser mics (which I have), any suggestion for a pickup? Is K&K as good as for acoustics? I think also Lyric has a classical version of it. Suggestions? Price is not an issue, compromising is. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:31 PM

You write, "Price is not an issue, compromising is."
Same with me, and I think I've found the ultimate gear.

DPA d:vote VO-4099G is a tiny shotgun cardioid condenser mic that clips onto your guitar.
IMO it's the best solution when you don't want to be handcuffed to a mic stand.
It sounds exactly like the guitar.
Read the reviews:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VO4099G

I love mine.
If you've become accustomed to that ubiquitous artificial bass boost most installed pickups have then you may not like the DPA's flater response.
I gaffer tape the stem of the clip to the guitar's side so I don't knock the mic off if I bump it.

Reduce feedback and adjust EQ by simply moving it on its gooseneck.
Moving it to another guitar takes 5 seconds, and no holes to drill.
Buy other $35 clips for use on many other instruments.
Needs +48v phantom power, but delivers sound that rivals high end studio condensers.

I use it with this portable battery-powered field mixer clipped to the belt loops on my pants.
Great to have volume control without reaching down to the floor or hand-signaling in code to your sound man.
It also supplies +48v.

The mic is made in Denmark, and the field mixer is made in Japan.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...m=Y&sku=838946

Last edited by Tico; 06-03-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:17 PM

Hi Tico, indeed I have a DPA as well as few other mics. But for stage purposes, I strongly prefer a pickup and that's what I intended to get advices upon. But, I agree, the DPA is great (not on loud stages though..).

Marco
Old 06-03-2017, 04:44 PM

Okay.

BTW, if you want to avoid condenser mics altogether, pay close attention to the PU you get.
Some, like the Baggs Lyric have only a condenser mic mounted under the bridge.
IIRC, the Baggs Anthem combines this with an under saddle piezoelectric transducer.

I'm sure others here will be more familiar with the choices.
Good luck.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:46 PM

Good point, thanks.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

http://www.barberatransducers.com

Enjoys a good reputation. I have not tried it - yet.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:36 AM

I have heard the Barbera in action on a Collings OM (artist supporting and playing with Tommy Emmanuel a couple of years ago, forget her name for the moment). It sounded amazing, incredibly natural. The pickup IS the bridge saddle!

As for K&K, I'm a big fan though I haven't tried their classical model. In my opinion the classical is an easier instrument to amplify in some respects, it seems like the tones produced by the strings aren't so rich in complex harmonics to the same extent as steel strung guitars - I may of course be very wrong as I don't have a decent classical at the moment so if you're going to shoot me down do it nicely[emoji6] The Pure Mini for classical has 4 sensors I think, and would be worth auditioning. There should be some decent demos on their website and on YouTube.

Doug Young's website is a treasure trove of demos and audio samples, check it out and see if there are the pups you are interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification