The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 AM

I've owned both versions. I preferred the full Anthem. The Bass was huge in my guitar so I appreciated having the control of the full version. The best results I got was useing the Baggs Session with a high pass filter and the Saturation and Compression knobs. No additional EQ needed. There was still bass in the sound and very natural sounding miss and highs. It was stellar.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Grace and Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's not so much the quack that bothers me, it's the actual tone of the Element. It has this metallic sound to it that I don't like on its own but when paired with the high end of the tru-mic, just sounds over the top hi-fi. I am not sure if making adjustments live with the plastic screwdriver would be ideal though. I have tried that before and it was not easy. I really feel that Baggs should have just included a small knob to turn.

I follow a musician who uses the imix system, which has the i-beam. I think he blends in more i-beam but it sounds very good. I think the i-beam sounds great, it's just not very feedback resistant.
FWIW, the DTAR Wavelength system (which uses the exact same transducer) seems to get much better user reviews than the Element. Folks most often describe the Wavelength sound as "woody", and I have to agree with that perception.

Regarding the iBeam, I have one super-glued in my old D28. Its better balanced and less feedback prone than most of the iBeam rigs which I deal with as a soundman, so maybe there's some advantage to a super-glue installation, as opposed to using the double-sided tape.

I agree that the iBeam can sound very good, in the hands of a strong picker, at a moderate level of amplification. On the downside, its the most feedback prone pickup (generally speaking) that I deal with.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 AM

I have the SL fitted to my OM, and I'm just about fed up with it. There's not enough overall control to get the sound I want. There's a crossover in the unit that prohibits using it in any way beyond the factory setting without giving up bandwidth. At factory settings, I can't EQ it the way I want and need.

I'm going to go down a dual source system with independent full band EQ over both sources via an external preamp - all I need to do now is decide which two sources to go with....

Oh - and which preamp....
Old 05-31-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I have the SL fitted to my OM, and I'm just about fed up with it. There's not enough overall control to get the sound I want. There's a crossover in the unit that prohibits using it in any way beyond the factory setting without giving up bandwidth. At factory settings, I can't EQ it the way I want and need.

I'm going to go down a dual source system with independent full band EQ over both sources via an external preamp - all I need to do now is decide which two sources to go with....

Oh - and which preamp....
I played my last show with the SL over the weekend. It's just not working out for me. I don't even know how to explain it but it actually provides zero body, warmth & overall fullness to my tone. It's as if someone turned the treble up and the bass/mids down. I was expecting the Element to provide some nice bass but it's subtle at best. To be honest, I find the SL to be very, very similar to what I was hearing with the Lyric.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I played my last show with the SL over the weekend.
You and me both!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification