The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
How do you like them?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Love them! I actually sold my Compact 60 because I liked the sound of these so much. Even the little A1-4 on its own is loud enough for what I do, house concerts, coffee houses, wineries, playing in the park, etc. But I'm a solo fingerstyle player who just wants some really accurate augmentation for my sound, I don't need to fill a hall or play over people shouting in a bar, and these sound like high-end studio monitors - and the effects on the Elite's are gorgeous, the dark hall and dark cavern reverbs are right up there with some of the best I've heard for acoustic. They sound great as bluetooth speakers with music as well. It's great having the second Sunburst unit without effects if I ever need to go louder or want to fool around with stereo because they are so easy to daisy chain together. If my demands were greater, big rooms, large crowds, I'd keep a big, mains powered rig around, but the A1-4 isn't going anywhere.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:42 AM

That sounds like it might be a good fit for me as well. Everyone who has tried or uses them seems to be in love with the sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Love them! I actually sold my Compact 60 because I liked the sound of these so much. Even the little A1-4 on its own is loud enough for what I do, house concerts, coffee houses, wineries, playing in the park, etc. But I'm a solo fingerstyle player who just wants some really accurate augmentation for my sound, I don't need to fill a hall or play over people shouting in a bar, and these sound like high-end studio monitors - and the effects on the Elite's are gorgeous, the dark hall and dark cavern reverbs are right up there with some of the best I've heard for acoustic. They sound great as bluetooth speakers with music as well. It's great having the second Sunburst unit without effects if I ever need to go louder or want to fool around with stereo because they are so easy to daisy chain together. If my demands were greater, big rooms, large crowds, I'd keep a big, mains powered rig around, but the A1-4 isn't going anywhere.
The A1-4 gives you the possibility to make those concerts? I thought it would not have enough punch for that scenarios.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:30 AM

I do fingerstyle guitar as well and a key point to the way I play is a sort of jazzy thumb bass under whatever else is going on. To get the balance of the low notes right is a dance between the resonance model, the bass eq, the feedback notch filter and a high pass filter. The EQ on a typical guitar amp isn't enough. I get around this by using my Boss VE-8 which has great EQ control. I would use the stereo channel on the EAE or Sunburst amp for the VE8 and the other channels for vocals and guest instruments.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
The A1-4 gives you the possibility to make those concerts? I thought it would not have enough punch for that scenarios.
I was concerned about that as well, but it's louder and fuller than I thought. I thought it might be as limited as my Yamaha THR5A but it's in another league altogether. As I said, it needs to be a relatively quiet, intimate setting but I can add the M3BR8 as needed. I'm actually thinking about selling the M3BR8 though, as most of the places I play are really small and quiet and don't want me to be any louder than I get with the A1-4. I hope that's a comment on the intimacy of the gigs and not on my playing

If your gigs are larger, even a large, loud coffee house type setting, and you want the convenience of a single unit I would go with the A4 or D6. I haven't heard them in person but if my experience with the A1 is any indicator those larger models should be more than adequate. Or it's great to have something as small and convenient as the A1 around just for travelling, or gigs where it does work well, and keep your normal rig around for when it's needed.

Last edited by dogdog49; 05-29-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 AM

I had one of those small Yamaha THR amps for a while. I loved the sound for practice, but it didn't have enough oomph for even the mildest coffee house gig.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:34 AM

Then, maybe you should buy one and report back on its virtues. Looking at the manual it seems to have everything. Almost, anyway. Lots of features.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 05-30-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 AM

That does look like a nice amp for our style of music. It seems to check all the boxes. Has anyone played through one?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 AM

I sent the company an email before the long weekend but I haven't heard back from them. I post their response here when I finally get it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification