The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2017, 11:52 AM

Default iRig Acoustic Stage Question for Users

https://youtu.be/5aFWF2Xvb3c

At about 5:25 of this iRig Acoustic Stage infomercial, it explains that the belt buckle preamp can actually accept another pickup signal and blend it with the iRig mic signal. I'm wondering if that only works with active pickup systems, or if that little preamp blender can accommodate passive pickups as well.

Thanks in advance for any answers and/or observations.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:16 PM

I looked up the manual and observed that the iRig Acoustic Stage preamp's Aux In impedance is 1 Mohm. That's enough input impedance for some passive pickups. Whether or not the weaker signal of a passive pickup will be strong enough for a decent blend will be another issue.

I presume that the folks with the more elaborate "barn door" systems will be in the best (most convenient) position to use this blending function. Folks with passive pickups may need an outboard preamp between the passive pickup and the iRig Acoustic Stage's blender.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I looked up the manual and observed that the iRig Acoustic Stage preamp's Aux In impedance is 1 Mohm. That's enough input impedance for some passive pickups. Whether or not the weaker signal of a passive pickup will be strong enough for a decent blend will be another issue.

I presume that the folks with the more elaborate "barn door" systems will be in the best (most convenient) position to use this blending function. Folks with passive pickups may need an outboard preamp between the passive pickup and the iRig Acoustic Stage's blender.
Was thinking of buying one if these. They are not expensive. What is your assessment of quality? Are there any other perhaps higher end comparative products?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptonguitar View Post
Was thinking of buying one if these. They are not expensive. What is your assessment of quality? Are there any other perhaps higher end comparative products?

Thanks
I'm not a user either. I'm just wondering how well the iSolo will blend with other (passive and active) pickups for live use. I'm impressed by the mere fact that they've considered and provided for that option.

I'm also wondering how useful the iSolo Acoustic Stage might be for home recording.

As for comparative products that are "higher end", I'm thinking that ToneDexter may be an easier way to get equal or better results with respect to sound quality and feedback immunity. There's been a great deal of discussion, and some nice user demos, regarding ToneDexter on this forum.

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-29-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM

Thanks for your reply
Old 05-29-2017, 05:06 PM

Interesting. It doesn't say that it must be active so I would assume that it works with both passive and active. However, as stated, this is an assumption. It's a pre-amp so it would make sense that it would work with a passive system. It obviously has the juice to power the otherwise passive clip-on mic.

Here's where my assumption comes from:

The synergy between the microphone and the 32-bit DSP-based preamp system provides amazingly rich, full-spectrum acoustic sound on stage like never before.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:05 PM

I partially answered my own question (in my second post) when I checked the manual and saw that the AUX IN jack has an input impedance of 1 Mohm. That's a high enough input impedance to get a nice full-bodied signal from a passive mag pickup or certain passive piezo pickups (like the K&K Pure Mini). It probably wouldn't be enough input impedance, however, for the passive Baggs Hex pickup in one of my guitars or the passive PUTW I/O UST in another guitar. The Hex pickup, for a certainty, will lose some bass end when looking into 1 Mohm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification