The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-31-2019, 06:51 PM

Well, I have hearing aides. I can hear with out them but they just amplify the upper registers. First time I got them, I was amazed at the birds I can now hear chirping in the woods behind the house. Never heard them before.

Anyways, I ended up getting a spruce top Cordoba Solista and a cedar top Cordoba 45CO. The 45CO sounds great as does the Solista. I believe I can hear the spruce being brighter than the cedar but yet the cedar does sound warmer.

In summary, buy one of each. Spruce and a cedar top. Bam.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulorr8179 View Post

In summary, buy one of each. Spruce and a cedar top. Bam.
Ha! This was my solution as well, but it took me over 10 years to get around to it...
Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM

There's something special about getting the scent of Cedar while playing your guitar or when taking it out of the case.

I've got one of each, so I can enjoy the benefits of both
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 AM

Yesterday I availed myself of the opportunity to test the same guitar in both spruce and cedar, a Cordoba C10. They had a different sound but not radically different. More than two guitars of the same materials would vary but not a huge difference.

For me the cedar had more bass and midrange, and a flatter frequency overall. The spruce had more treble with a faster response from the top. The cedar seemed to sound the best when driving the top, when the top was already in motion and peppered with more notes. That brought out the full range of the cedar's sound. The spruce is a more direct sound with faster attack, but the cedar a full bodied sound with richness. But still, they were not far apart.

The response of the top is important I think because this changes how the player THINKS the guitar sounds, because it mixes in what you are feeling with what you are hearing. What a listener across the room hears, without the feel, may not be much different at all.

Both are great but the differences were small to me. I chose cedar because it seemed to sound a little richer to me and I like the bassier tone. And I like the look of the cedar/rosewood combo very much.

And of course, best of all, that beautiful scent of cedar when playing. Not to be discounted
Old 08-03-2019, 05:34 PM

Colder - thanks for the nice analysis. I have found pretty much the same. I had read once that most classical players choose spruce top but I find cedar much warmer, but less volume.

Like I said ... buy one of each. Thats what I did. I keep my Cordoba 45CO in my bedroom and the Cordoba Solista spruce top in my music cave.

I find the Cordoba brand to be very good sounding instruments. I was very surprised when I bought my first. The prices of these instruments are quite affordable.

By the way. For me, a guitar made in Spain is important to me. China I think cheap knockoffs even though the C10's and C12's are excellent instruments. I guess I am old school.

All the best, Paul
Old 08-03-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulorr8179 View Post
Colder - thanks for the nice analysis. I have found pretty much the same. I had read once that most classical players choose spruce top but I find cedar much warmer, but less volume.

Like I said ... buy one of each. Thats what I did. I keep my Cordoba 45CO in my bedroom and the Cordoba Solista spruce top in my music cave.

I find the Cordoba brand to be very good sounding instruments. I was very surprised when I bought my first. The prices of these instruments are quite affordable.

By the way. For me, a guitar made in Spain is important to me. China I think cheap knockoffs even though the C10's and C12's are excellent instruments. I guess I am old school.

All the best, Paul
I agree with you about Cordoba. The quality of my C10, at the price I paid, is very very good. Cordoba is making great stuff.

I have heard that their quality was once not so good - I actually saw and tried a Solista that was from the early 2000s that wasn't very good, but the same shop had a new Solista that was perfect.

Even the C5 that I tried was still excellent for the price, although some compromises obviously were made.

I think I will be very happy with the C10 for years to come. By the time I ever felt like the C10 were holding me back, I'd be looking for a custom/luthier type instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical