The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

For the sake of clarity, a hydrometer is an instrument used to determine the specific gravity of a liquid - it is of no use in measuring Relative Humidity (RH). The instrument used for measuring RH is a hygrometer.

Only one letter different, but completely different instruments.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-24-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Have you calibrated them? The Potassium Carbonate method isn't hard to do and will give you a RH of around 43% to check them all.

Edit: Missed the earlier responses that came in. My experience with SensorPush and Wireless Tag sensors is similar to Ray's. They all agree to well within their stated accuracy (2%).
Two of them I calibrated and the other one that just came in supposedly was pre-calibrated.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
For the sake of clarity, a hydrometer is an instrument used to determine the specific gravity of a liquid - it is of no use in measuring Relative Humidity (RH). The instrument used for measuring RH is a hygrometer.

Only one letter different, but completely different instruments.
Tell that to Siri. It’s her fault that it corrected me.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:23 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Govee users, do you connect with them via bluetooth while they are in your case? If so, can you distinguish between a number of them?

The Amazon description says search for H5075 and pair. If you have more than one do you have to pair to each one individually one at a time to run through them? If so, how do you know which one is which?

EDIT: Ah, I didn't look far enough on the Amazon listing. I see they have them named Living Room and Bedroom on their example.

So, can you connect to them when they are in a case?
Yep. You can check ‘em on your phone/iPad/whatever via Bluetooth/WiFi using the free app.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Govee users, do you connect with them via bluetooth while they are in your case? If so, can you distinguish between a number of them?

The Amazon description says search for H5075 and pair. If you have more than one do you have to pair to each one individually one at a time to run through them? If so, how do you know which one is which?

EDIT: Ah, I didn't look far enough on the Amazon listing. I see they have them named Living Room and Bedroom on their example.

So, can you connect to them when they are in a case?
Yep, as Roy noted, you pair as many as you want with the app and then it lists them each, with more detail available (stuff like history, calibration, high-low alarms) if you click on the specific sensor. And as you noted, you can name each of them for where they are. Very similar to Sensor Push, but much less $$ and you can get them with or without a display, which I find invaluable. In the case, I have one with no display, but in my guitar cabinet or just loose in the room, I like to be able to just see what it's showing without opening the app...

-Ray
Old 11-24-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
A certified hygrometer will cost you many hundreds of dollars.
A friend of mine works for Fisher Scientific, which supplies pro-grade equipment to research labs. Their hygrometers are around $100-$125 depending on accuracy (for this price range the site says "Humidity range: 20 to 90% RH; resolution: 0.1% RH; accuracy: ±5% RH mid-range (±7% RH otherwise)". I'm sure if you wanted near perfect accuracy you could pay a lot more. But +/- 5% in the mid range should be more than enough accuracy to keep your guitars safe.

So more expensive than the Amazon counterparts but not quite in the many hundreds of dollars range. If you have a large collection of guitars, or heck even one guitar but it costs multiple thousands of dollars, $100 is not much for piece of mind.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 11-24-2020, 03:40 PM

Mine are named 810 Ltd, 717e, 414ce-R, 414ce-SL and as soon as I get home and unload my truck another ones gonna get named 614ce BE! They work great and are all within 1% of each other and within 2% of the 2 room hygrometers I've had for years. I think that's close enough. Thanks for the heads up raysachs
Old 11-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
A friend of mine works for Fisher Scientific, which supplies pro-grade equipment to research labs. Their hygrometers are around $100-$125 depending on accuracy (for this price range the site says "Humidity range: 20 to 90% RH; resolution: 0.1% RH; accuracy: ±5% RH mid-range (±7% RH otherwise)". I'm sure if you wanted near perfect accuracy you could pay a lot more. But +/- 5% in the mid range should be more than enough accuracy to keep your guitars safe.

So more expensive than the Amazon counterparts but not quite in the many hundreds of dollars range. If you have a large collection of guitars, or heck even one guitar but it costs multiple thousands of dollars, $100 is not much for piece of mind.
Just to be clear there is the cost of the equipment plus the cost of certification.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion