The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-20-2018, 01:56 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
as someone once said "I'm not sacred of flying - I'm scared of crashing!".

I'm still planning on that flight in a Spitfire. It flies over my house a number of times a day.
LOL! I've never heard that one but it's hilarious. I've had many dreams over the years of being in plane crashes. Not fun.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:02 AM

I start watching those programs on cable about commercial airliner crashes and it’s like I can’t stop watching. I know it only makes me more paranoid of flying, but I continue to watch anyway because the CAUSES of these crashes is what interests me mostly. Remember the crash of that Air France Concorde crash back in 2000? Man talk about a freak accident. Run over a little piece of debri on take off and a few seconds later you are airborne in a flaming time bomb that crashes less than two minutes after take off killing everyone on board including people in the hotel it crashed into. Beginning of the end for the Concord.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:05 AM

The airlines put their planes through regular and routine maintenance and inspections, rebuilds. The engines are switched out on routine basis, wings dismantled and inspected, electronics and guidance systems checked and tested. Service hours logged and inspected, not much gets missed. Freak stuff does happen but the sheer number of successful flights is mind boggling.

The severity of this particular malfunction, loss of an engine and fuselage damage is spectacular in that the plane was landed safely and intact. The 727 is huge and was successfully managed loaded and with one engine. The pilot and flight crew where all top of the line, and blessed. The loss of a life tragic, but incredibly amazing that the remainder of the passengers were safely landed.

All in all, I would not give it a second thought in terms of planning a flight in the future.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:50 PM

How the heck do you fly a two engine aircraft on one engine? Wouldn’t it constantly pull to one side all the time?
Old 04-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
How the heck do you fly a two engine aircraft on one engine? Wouldn’t it constantly pull to one side all the time?
I do not know, but an ex commercial pilot friend of mine tells me they work in the simulator with that scenario all of the time. Does not mean it is not a hero's job landing that plane safely, but means it is not something that they do not train for. I would imagine they create drag with the flaps on the side that lost the engine to compensate, but that is a wild guess.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:24 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
While it is understandable that you might feel more fearful in the wake of such an accident, you have to decide how to respond to that fear.
Once, long ago, Elbert and Alice Hubbard planned a trip to Germany; their method of travel was the Lusitania. They were warned that the ship was "due" to be attacked by a U boat. That did not stop them from going.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Airliners fly quite well on one engine and as was said earlier, they can climb on one. Yes, it will bank and roll toward the dead engine, quicker and harder with increased power on the good engine.

In the SWA case, they were also in an emergency descent because of the explosive decompression, so they had the good engine power reduced to idle. During the descent, the roll would be nearly eliminated. As they leveled to slow for the approach, they would have to increase the power, but the autopilot will adjust perfectly and fly beautifully on one engine.

As TomB said, emergency descents and single-engine approaches are practiced almost every time airline pilots climb in a simulator for training. Pilots are usually dealt one emergency at a time in the sim. In this case, the SWA pilots had an engine loss and a emergency descent to handle at the same time. It's very doable, but you're as busy as a one-armed paperhanger until you park at the gate. The SWA pilots clearly did an excellent job.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Another movie to be made. Of course Meryl Streep as the captain.

When ever I fly my BP drops back to normal when I look into the flight deck and see the crew has some gray in their hair.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic