The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2018, 05:25 AM

Default K&K Trinity with Headway EDB2

Hi.
I am using Trinity pro system and split the signal (mic out) from trinity preamp. Why? I wanted to have ability to tweak the mic a little bit more. My sound gets distorted when strumming a bit harder. When using only one of them it is all Ok. Anyone else tried to tweak the mic with mic out? Experiences??
Old 01-21-2018, 03:53 PM

I would experiment with the different gain options.

I presume you are using a stereo out which the Headway is splitting to channel 1 and 2? I would identify which Chanel is distorting and ensure that channel is set at a non distortion level. Then concentrate on the Blend. Then when that is right focus on the main volume out.

Focus on the Chanel that is distorting and set the gain so that it isn’t. If you can’t fix this in the Headway you may have a problem with one element of the pickup.

I’ve been using Headway preamps for years and have never got to the point of distorting my signal!

Is the mic or the SBT that is distorting?
Martin J40
Old 01-22-2018, 04:37 AM

I know some users have had problems with the mic output using non K&K preamps - but you should be fine with a K&K preamp - maybe check the gain levels into the Headway??
Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 AM

From the guitar I go with stereo cable to trinity preamp. There I adjust pure mini and go out with 2 mono cables into headway EDB2. There I can adjust trinity mic a little bit more. From EDB2 I go to my effects and then to PA. Distortion is certanly have some matter with gain/volume but for now I can't figure out the solution. Headway by itself is not distorting, as well as trinity
Old 01-26-2018, 06:03 AM

Based on your signal chain description, it seems likely that the first preamp might amplify the signal such that it no longer matches with the input on the Headway. If so, the mismatch could possibly cause damage to the Headway.

You need to check the specs on each unit to see what levels are input and output from each device to determine if there is a mismatch.

Generally, the three input signals are characterized as mic < Instrument < line levels. A preamp will generally boost or condition a signal to line level, and a line level signal will almost certainly run a mic input into distortion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification