The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 AM

Default string prices

Theirs a local store here in my small town that sells guitar strings and a few low budget guitars.I went to buy a set of dean markley blue steels the other day and was amazed at the price.It was almost 2x what they retail for!This morning i called up dean markley customer service to tell them,their answer was"theres nothing we can really do".On the bright side they are sending me a free set "for my troubles" but this has got me thinking.I thought that it was illegal to sell anything above the MSRP in Canada or anywhere for that matter.I know this applies to guitars but what about strings?Before anyone says "just go somewhere else" i have to say it's not that simple since the only "store" in my community that sells strings is the culprit.So,is it ethical to sell a single set of guitar strings for 2x what their worth?
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMahoney View Post
Theirs a local store here in my small town that sells guitar strings and a few low budget guitars.I went to buy a set of dean markley blue steels the other day and was amazed at the price.It was almost 2x what they retail for!This morning i called up dean markley customer service to tell them,their answer was"theres nothing we can really do".On the bright side they are sending me a free set "for my troubles" but this has got me thinking.I thought that it was illegal to sell anything above the MSRP in Canada or anywhere for that matter.I know this applies to guitars but what about strings?Before anyone says "just go somewhere else" i have to say it's not that simple since the only "store" in my community that sells strings is the culprit.So,is it ethical to sell a single set of guitar strings for 2x what their worth?
Hi Buck...
Ethical or not, it is curable...I have ordered string online for years because of the unwillingness of local stores to compete price-wise with online sources.

I understand a local store's overhead expenses, and still shop online...I also go through at least a couple dozen sets of coated strings a year and about 30-45 sets of non-coated strings.

For me shopping locally is not an ethical issue, and I owe no allegience to local shops just because they are local. My approach is if local stores cannot provide service well above and beyond what online sources provide, I don't shop locally.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-28-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
If you remember the days when the gettin was good in the auto industry, sought after models went for far above the MSRP. Nothing new there....not about ethics or legality. Just market forces at work Happily for you there are many other purchase point options available.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM

Just by online.
Best prices and you don't even have to leave the house.
Here is one place that I use.
http://www.hotworship.com/euphonon/acoustic.html.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:55 PM

I generally try to buy everything I can from my local store even driving out for very cheap things, however I go trhough a lot of strings and only buy them online. I actually use eBay shops at the moment.

Last edited by Coke_zero; 08-28-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 PM

try stringsandbeyond, juststrings or webstrings. all have decent prices and sometimes real good deals.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 PM

It sucks that this store is pricing their strings that high, but it certainly is not illegal, at least not in the USA. MSRP means manufacturers suggested retail price, so it is simply a guidline for distributors to use. When market forces are at work, pricing usually goes below MSRP. The internet has caused some market prices to go down because of the internet competition. It sounds like this store can get away with selling at that price, but you can keep them from getting your hard earned dollars.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks guys,i do use strings and beyond when i can,money's a little tight right now.It just floors me what these guys can get away with,most musicians i know arent the richest people and are making a meager living at it,and to be the only string retailer in town with so many guitarists around selling for so much just makes me sick to my stomach.I have a mind to get a grant and open a string and guitar repair shop,but my music career comes first
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 PM
The Foreigner

Well, a set of D'Addario EXP16 costs USD15 here in Malaysia
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM

The "S" in MSRP is "suggested". Otherwise it would be MMRP or Maunfacturers Mandatory Retail Price. You can try and get more but with the vast number of online dealers offering them for far less, it would not be a good strategy.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
try stringsandbeyond, juststrings or webstrings. all have decent prices and sometimes real good deals.
+1 for Juststrings.com

I love that you can fully customize a set of strings for the same price that you can buy most normal full sets.

I'm looking to get a dozen sets of a super light guage for my current project, and they've got a better selection than any other place i've found.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Online is the way to go.
Get better deals than GC or Sam, don't have to burn fuel, time getting there and bringing proof, just click and ship and sometimes the tax you would pay/not pay ends up being used as shipping and some left over if your purchase is over a certain amount.

I buy Elixers by the dozen
A dozen for the 855 per year.
A dozen for the Jumbo per year
And a dozen for the 815 a year.
That adds up, but so does the savings in time and fuel and getting them for less online.

It's too bad, I remember a time when I would go to GC and get some killer deals, them days are long gone.
2007 Warwick corvette bass (Double Buck) 4 string
2009 Custom Coco/addi jumbo "Maranatha"
2010 412 Spring LTD

Amps- some of them
Peavey 100watt acoustic amp (very clean sounding)
Roland JC-120 head with 4x12 matching cabinet
Praise and Worship dude
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...44369/Guitars/
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
It just floors me what these guys can get away with,most musicians i know arent the richest people and are making a meager living at it,and to be the only string retailer in town with so many guitarists around selling for so much just makes me sick to my stomach.
Most guitar store owners I know aren't exactly rich, either.

It's not as though the guy who runs the shop is doing lines of cocaine off of Paris Hilton's stomach with all the cash he is raking in from the extra $4 he charges on strings...he's probably just barely making it and charging what he has to to stay in business.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Well, a set of D'Addario EXP16 costs USD15 here in Malaysia
I can beat that quote:
Retail price in Australia USD20 !! Elixirs - USD33.

Steve
Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
I can beat that quote:
Retail price in Australia USD20 !! Elixirs - USD33.

Steve
What the???

And people actually buy them?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion