The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 PM

Default Rehashing pickups...

Wrestling with the idea of which “ pickup” to use in my Larrivee 000-40R. Usually a solo performer playing through a Fishman loudbox, but I also do open mic through PA systems. Any and all comments welcome! And solicited.

the view from down at the crossroads.

a couple of guitars, a mandolin,bongo drums, some harps, a recorder, train whistle and a kazoo....
Old 01-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

My go to pickup is the K&K Mini. Should work beautifully in your Larrivee 000-40R.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-26-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Rehashing pickups...

The most important part of this discussion is how we hear the guitar. Each one of us has a conception of how the guitar should sound so a pickup will either meet, or not meet what our expectations are. Take any guitar and have two of us set the equalizer. Regardless of the price or manufacturer I’ll bet that the equalizer settings will not match as that displays how we expect the guitar to sound like.

If you listen to professional acoustic guitarists they mike their guitars because they want the purest unfiltered tone. That also requires using an amplifier that does not color the sound.

In all of these discussions there are always differing opinions pointing out pickup systems deficiencies or high points. We should choose our pickups based on the one that fits our conception of what the guitar should sound like.

I also have a Loudbox and have a Voyage-Air dreadnought that I installed a K&K UltraPure Mini that sounds awesome.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 01-30-2018 at 11:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification