The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Default AER ..Send and Return...Need Help

Can't seem to find this information anywhere.

I need to add effects from my AER Compact 60 amp's DI output.

The manual states that the internal effects are bypassed when plugging into the DI output on the amp.

Does anyone know if the send/ return loop effects pedals would also be bypassed or would effects added in the S/R loop be included inthe DI channel's signal?

I consider myself to be a great player;.... pity my ears and fingers disagree!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

The block diagram of the AER 60-3 currently on the AER website reveals that the send/return loop is post-DI output. This means that any signal run through the send/return loop will not be sent to the DI output.

If you want to include the internal effects and/or send-return loop processing in your output from the AER 60-3, use the line output jack which (duh) is a line level signal (dunno if it is -10dBV, -4 dBu or something else). Make sure that whatever device you send that (relatively strong) signal to is capable of handling it, or pad it down before arrival.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 06-12-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the info... I'm not really that literate when it comes to electronics.

I'll speak to the sound guy and see if I can use the line out instead.

Seems strange that in an amp design there is no way to add effects to the DI out, is there a performance reason????

I consider myself to be a great player;.... pity my ears and fingers disagree!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeplaysblues View Post
Seems strange that in an amp design there is no way to add effects to the DI out, is there a performance reason????
Normally, when playing in a band, you want to send a fairly dry signal to the board. Local effects are handy for the player and smaller venues where there is no PA.

For example, a reverb effect that sounds good on the stage, may not sound any good in the FOH. Having the DI signal clean allows reverb to be added at the desk if necessary, whereas if you feed an effected signal to the desk, there's no way the sound guy can get rid of it if it's muddying up the mix.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeplaysblues View Post
Thanks for the info... I'm not really that literate when it comes to electronics.

I'll speak to the sound guy and see if I can use the line out instead.

The line out should work just fine if you need to send a signal with effects. If the cable run is very long, the sound person can put it through a DI box anyway. On the other hand, for the reasons pipedwho gives, he or she might want the dry DI signal instead.

Louis
Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the information. You learn something new all the time on this forum.

I'll have a talk to the sound guy and see what he thinks

Old 06-13-2017, 06:00 PM

Just another comment. While I don't have experience with the AER itself, typically on electric guitar systems time-based FX (delay, reverb, etc) are put in the loop because they tend to get muddy if put before a pre-amp gain stage when overdriven. However, you can usually run them before the amp just fine if the amp is running clean.

I would guess the same would be true of the AER (which would be very clean). You could put your FX in front of the amp input and it should work just fine, and your FX would go out the DI.

That said, the comments about FOH liking a dry signal are quite true and not to be discounted.

Later
Rob
Old 01-21-2018, 10:20 PM

Default Question Regarding Possible Signal Paths with Effects box

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The block diagram of the AER 60-3 currently on the AER website reveals that the send/return loop is post-DI output. This means that any signal run through the send/return loop will not be sent to the DI output.

If you want to include the internal effects and/or send-return loop processing in your output from the AER 60-3, use the line output jack which (duh) is a line level signal (dunno if it is -10dBV, -4 dBu or something else). Make sure that whatever device you send that (relatively strong) signal to is capable of handling it, or pad it down before arrival.
Again, like a few others who are writing in, I am waiting to add an effect box to the AER Compact 60/3, in particular a TC Helicon Harmony GXT, which I don't own yet, and which will only be used occasionally for occasional harmonies and voce doubling.

In particular, the idea situation would be if I could get away with not having to first run the high quality condenser mic as well as the guitar pickup into the Harmony/GXT first but could first plug those into the AER and then send it out to Harmony GXT for the effects and then send that processed signal back into AER. In other words, I really own want to pass the vocal and pickup to the Helicon Harmony GXT if I want processing, and the rest of the time, the signal could more or less unadulterated. IS that kind of signal path possible? IF not, is there another similar effects where I could achieve that? Or must I pass the signal from my high quality tube condenser vocal mic first into the TC Helicon unit?

Sorry that I am inexperienced and don't yet have a handle on the possible signal paths. I acquired the AER already but still haven't used it. I haven't purchased the TC Helicon Harmony GXT VoiceTone yet. It's not crucial but I would like to add one, especially if the purer signal path as outlined above can be preserved. Will appreciate any comments. Thanking any and everyone in advance.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:44 AM

or you can mic the amp.. I know its old school but it works great.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadhuMan View Post
Again, like a few others who are writing in, I am waiting to add an effect box to the AER Compact 60/3, in particular a TC Helicon Harmony GXT, which I don't own yet, and which will only be used occasionally for occasional harmonies and voce doubling.

In particular, the idea situation would be if I could get away with not having to first run the high quality condenser mic as well as the guitar pickup into the Harmony/GXT first but could first plug those into the AER and then send it out to Harmony GXT for the effects and then send that processed signal back into AER. In other words, I really own want to pass the vocal and pickup to the Helicon Harmony GXT if I want processing, and the rest of the time, the signal could more or less unadulterated. IS that kind of signal path possible? IF not, is there another similar effects where I could achieve that? Or must I pass the signal from my high quality tube condenser vocal mic first into the TC Helicon unit?

Sorry that I am inexperienced and don't yet have a handle on the possible signal paths. I acquired the AER already but still haven't used it. I haven't purchased the TC Helicon Harmony GXT VoiceTone yet. It's not crucial but I would like to add one, especially if the purer signal path as outlined above can be preserved. Will appreciate any comments. Thanking any and everyone in advance.
The send/return function on the AER 60-3 will accommodate your Harmony/GXT. However, the send/return is mono, so you won't be able to apply one effect to the guitar and another to your voice. By the time the signal leaves the AER via the send jack, both of its channels are already blended together. As another twist, you might be able to use the effects pan control to send just one channel out of the AER with the send jack to your Harmony/GXT and back into the AER via the return jack. The block diagram looks like that will work, but I would want to try it with a real AER 60-3 to make sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification