The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Lol - I already had a couple small preamps laying around. Don't you?!?
Not currently.. usually just plug into my T1 then Bose Compact.... but then I usually play keys when giging .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 PM

Hey Methos, when you put the EDM 1 in front of the VE8, did you set the eq flat on the VE8 or still have it eq'd like you would without the EDM 1?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Hey Methos, when you put the EDM 1 in front of the VE8, did you set the eq flat on the VE8 or still have it eq'd like you would without the EDM 1?
I left it EQ'd like I had it without the EDM-1. So I actually had to dial back the highs on the EDM-1 as compared to when I have the EDM going straight into the S1 alone. The cumulative effect of basically having the EQ's the same was overwhelming. The funny thing is that now going back to just the VE-8 alone seems so much less good sounding. Which obviously means I could have retweaked the VE-8 EQ more. But for now I'm going to fly the way it is.

It's important to remember that due to my style of playing (fingerstyle with no nails) the tone is very muted and I need a lot of high end dialed in typically anyway. I actually do strum a lot more these days but it's with the side of my thumb near the knuckle joint with light contact which when dialed in correctly with the EQ gives a close approximation of using a pick.

When I need that muted, digging in with a pick sound I press my thumb and index fingers together and hit the top (flat) of the nails, index on the down stroke, thumb on the upstroke. It's been a learning process as we've gone from straight fingerpicking to some songs that need strumming. And it requires some serious EQ'ing to get the best tone.

I'm looking forward to trying out the VE-8/EDM-1 combo at an outdoor gig next week.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

It's important to remember that due to my style of playing (fingerstyle with no nails) the tone is very muted and I need a lot of high end dialed in typically anyway.
Well by golly..me too, except a little nailage on downstroke sometimes...don't use a pick .. or nails..on piano either (hard to believe I know)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-05-2018, 10:00 PM

I love my Boss VE-8 - use it every week at a restaurant gig with an EV 12" powered speaker. Love the large foot switches, and the vocal effects are great.

It really is a professional piece of gear, I tried the TC Play Acoustic but couldn't change settings as easily on the fly.
1980 Martin D41
2001 Gibson J-150
2021 Gibson J-150 Noel Gallagher
Old 10-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Can the Bose T1 be powered by battery?
Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 AM

The T1 cannot be powered by battery.

My question; just gifted a VE-8 and trying to figure out how to run it to my already dialed in T1 with no tone alteration? With everything supposedly off in the VE-8 guitar channel, it still seems to thin out and hiss up the tone. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification