The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-02-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Avid (whispers) no more HD Native PCIe slot cards

I realize this is only relevant to a very small number of us here on AGF (or maybe just me ) BUT Avid has quietly (no announcement) as of April this year discontinued sales of the HD Native PCIe cards (that plug into internal computer PCIe slots) They are still selling the HD Native TB connected external unit.

And they have added (also with no announcement) HD Native PCIe to their "End of Life Dates" list.
Support will continue thru 2023

Now another 5 years of support will is still pretty good, and realistically will take my Mid 2010 Mac Pro well beyond it being " outdated' processing wise
But makes me wonder what Avid sees as the future of HD Native ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-02-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:19 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I realize this is only relevant to a very small number of us here on AGF (or maybe just me ) BUT Avid has quietly (no announcement) as of April this year discontinued sales of the HD Native PCIe cards (that plug into internal computer PCIe slots) They are still selling the HD Native TB connected external unit.

And they have added (also with no announcement) HD Native PCIe to their "End of Life Dates" list.

Now another 5 years of support will is still pretty good, and realistically will take my Mid 2010 Mac Pro well beyond it being " outdated' processing wise
I think a WHOLE lot of us (at least here in the Los Angeles post community) wonder what Avid see's for the future....period
Old 05-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I think a WHOLE lot of us (at least here in the Los Angeles post community) wonder what Avid see's for the future....period
Maybe they are gonna buy Gibson so they can let us rent those cool sunburst monitors for flamed maple surround, on a monthly subscription plan

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-03-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

Speaking as someone who has been through the changes of Digidesign to Avid, TDM to HD to HD Native I have long wondered where Avid was going with Pro Tools. Most other DAWs have been on feature parity with PT for a long time. Renaming things isn't buying them any new customers. They hold on to outdated paradigms and charge way too much for mediocre hardware that's locked to their software.

I don't know what they're doing, but they need to figure something out fast.

I still have Pro Tools because I get a lot of work as PT session files...but my main DAW has been Digital Performer for a long while now. They're losing their grip on the pro audio world.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 AM

Avid/Digi had a big presence at AES last October in NYC and a fairly big one at NAB.

I don't think they're going away......yet.

In an attempt to future-proof myself, I added an iMac Pro with Logic X and FCP X this past January.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Avid/Digi had a big presence at AES last October in NYC and a fairly big one at NAB.

I don't think they're going away......yet.

In an attempt to future-proof myself, I added an iMac Pro with Logic X and FCP X this past January.
Oh I completely agree and to clarify they are still making the HDN TB connected hardware units (with and internal PCIe card) as well as HDX user installed cards.
It is just curious they are dropping the HDN user installed cards , perhaps sales of are not what they would like ? No doubt in some part since Apple switched to the Trash can.

Personally I hope PT continues well past my time of need of recording. I have used PT for so long now since 2003 , that it has no doubt become ingrained in my work flow psyche, I have also experimented with other DAWs (just in case) but not Logic, but I use Reason (mostly slaved to PT) which is OK but not near the editing tool PT is, and Reaper (which I found very cumbersome and unintuitive ) and lastly Studio One which would likely be my DAW of choice if I ever give up on PT.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-04-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Pro Tools is still the undisputed king of audio editing. So there’s that. I look at my schedule today (in the middle of Sweeps) and I edited non-stop, no breaks, no lunch for 10 plus hours. I’d be upside down and underwater without Pro Tools on days like this. If your gig is combat mixing nothing even remotely can compare.....still to this day.

If I were doing strictly music production and not under constant deadlines I wouldn’t hesitate for a nanosecond to switch to Studio One Pro, although they do have a couple of loose edges right now which I’m certain will be addressed.

Much of my professional life has centered around Pro Tools and I know virtually every nook and cranny of that software. I wouldn’t be home writing this post right now without it.

I hope they sort the software out and find a way to genuinely advance the ball and stay relavent. I’m just not entirely sure it’s in the cards.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD