The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-03-2022, 03:55 PM

Default A pickup for a Bashkin?

I may, after about twelve years of lusting and not enough saving be on the verge of procuring my dream guitar, a used Bashkin. I was just curious of those who have played one. What do you like for a pickup? Michael and I have talked K&K and that's what I've had in my other acoustics. I just wanted to see if I missed any recent advances in the acoustic pickup market.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 09-03-2022, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
I may, after about twelve years of lusting and not enough saving be on the verge of procuring my dream guitar, a used Bashkin. I was just curious of those who have played one. What do you like for a pickup? Michael and I have talked K&K and that's what I've had in my other acoustics. I just wanted to see if I missed any recent advances in the acoustic pickup market.

-jay
The advances over the last few years have mostly been in external electronics - things like ToneDexter, Voiceprint, etc. Everyone has favorite pickups, but not much has drastically changed in quite a few years with the raw pickups. The Ultratonic is one exception, basically like the K&K but with the ability to tune the result to eliminate resonances. Dazzo also lets you tune somewhat by what model (how much bass) you pick.

I'd think an SBT, whether K&K, Ultratonic, Dazzo or Trance would sound very good in Michael's guitars, which are very responsive. Feedback might be a concern, depending on how loud you play. But I haven't specifically heard an amplified Bashkin.
Old 09-04-2022, 02:10 PM

Well, I'm not a very loud player, unless I'm playing electric. Feedback might be an issue with an extra sound hole on the top, or should I say side. Adding the Ultrasonic to my research... thanks Doug!

-jay
Old 09-05-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

-jay
Hi Jay…
I have K&K dual sources in all my guitars, including my 2005 Bashkin. Up till three yrs ago, I ran them through external dual source preamps.

I have avoided 'recent advances' for decades now. A recent advance needs to be several yrs old before I jump into them.

Three yrs ago for Christmas, Joyce gave me a ToneDexter, and it's better than any of the preamps I own, but they all sound great.

I was happy with the tone of the Bashkin with the dual source, and am happier with the ToneDexter and just the Pure Mini.

I started using dual source rigs (always pickup and internal mic), because I've never been satisfied with a single pickup/source. Perhaps you are don't have my particular afflictions.

People argue which are better, do you need the Ultrasonic (addition to a K&K), other brands of pickups and pickup rigs etc.

If you want a project, just start with a PureMini and move on from there. It's hard to beat a K&K Pure Mini as the foundation to a great pickup system.

Some who added the UltraTonic were thrilled, but tend to want 'more' than that just plugged into an amp or PA.

After all the firmware updates to the ToneDexter (which are simple to download and install), it is a very manageable, predictable, and adjustable solution.

I use an external Joyo JP-05 battery pack designed for guitar pedal rigs to power mine, and go without 110v power on stage. The battery is good for 6-8 hours, so it serves me well.

There is a lot to explore in this arena, but the pickup is just step one in a chain of equipment twixt me and the amp/pa (or both at the same time).

Have fun figuring out what you like. Also, feel free to drive up and try mine out sometime soon. (that would be fun)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-05-2022, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

I was an early user of the tonedextor working with James and the ultratonic when he brought it out.. The first guitar I added the UltraTonic to was my Bashkin. With and without using the ToneDextor others commented on how good the Bashkin sounded.

Up until then my choice of pickup was a K&K but the UltraTonic was such an improvement that is what I use in all my guitars. And it is easier to install with the one strip vs three individual discs.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 09-05-2022, 04:55 PM

Hey Larry, it's been waaay too long buddy. I don't know where to begin on the ToneDexter aspect. (I had one with my harp guitar and never bonded with it, eventually selling it.) Here's a pic of what I'm currently running with my electric rig on Sunday's, four weeks out of five. One of those weeks they may have me switching to acoustic...(Lowden?/Bashkin?). Then there's the solo acoustic part of me outside of church. That is probably where the Bashkin comes in with alternate tuning entering into the equation. (Yeah, its thankfully a multi scale.) In spite of regular lessons for years with Dave B, I still have a long way to go before I cross that stage. Suffice to say the Bashkin, will eat up about all my (now retired) resources so more for a pickup is one thing, more for electronics another. But you know how long I've lusted... since the first time I played yours buddy! ;-) Hope you and Joyce are well! Barb says "Hi".

-jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2103.jpg (48.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-05-2022, 05:22 PM

RacerBob, you have quite the stable sir. A Heinonen and Bashkin to chose from would be a dream. You can adopt me anytime! ;-)
-jay
Old 09-05-2022, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Here's a pic of what I'm currently running with my electric rig on Sunday's, four weeks out of five.
…But you know how long I've lusted... since the first time I played yours buddy! ;-) Hope you and Joyce are well! Barb says "Hi".

-jay
Hey Jay
We are great.

Here's my Sunday Rig…I go XLR out to the mains & they feed it back to in-ear-monitors (open air headphones for me).

The invitation is a serious one…and your Sunday rig looks adequate.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-05-2022, 08:00 PM

Hey Larry, the reason I posted the pic of my board was to say so far, for the Lowden, I've been using a bit of delay, a bit of verb, some light octave and as scootch of chorus. If I go back to the ToneDexter that's a totally different approach and I would probably drop all that. I can see the merit of both approaches. The pickup is the most pressing issue as I'll probably be begging Michael put it in whenever he might get the time.

As for the invitation. Well gee, I'm retired. How can I justify any kind of excuse. It would be great to see you.

-jay
Old 09-06-2022, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
RacerBob, you have quite the stable sir. A Heinonen and Bashkin to chose from would be a dream. You can adopt me anytime! ;-)
-jay
Hay Jay, guess where I am moving now I'm retire, Canon City Colorado. Once I'm settle in feel free to come on by and try a few.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 09-06-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
Hay Jay, guess where I am moving now I'm retire, Canon City Colorado. Once I'm settle in feel free to come on by and try a few.
Retirement has been pretty good on this end for the last couple of years. More time to practice. More time to get the boss's list reduced one project at a time. Some pretty country down near Canon City. We're up north behind Loveland, south of Fort Collins. Welcome to the state and thanks for the offer. Hopefully I'll have a Bashkin of my own by then.

-jay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification