The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Oh, yes I do. Big-time. Nothing inspires writing and composition more than new and interesting tools. It's an incredible time to be alive as a musician with such an infinite choice of pedals, amps and electric options.

However, what I don't enjoy so much anymore is shlepping electric gear/amps to rehearsals/live performances, which is why I prefer the acoustic role playing out, when possible, and sticking to the studio with everything else.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:00 AM

No, I don't, I don't even own a solidbody guitar. But to split hairs, my archtops are acoustic, and electric, too. My lust for them is currently satisfied!

For me it comes down to, what kind of music am I playing, and what's the best guitar for it. I can appreciate a Les Paul tuxedo, or a Koa wood Tele aesthetically, but they don't have the sound and feel I like. I could say the same thing about a Taylor Grand Auditorium, for that matter.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I started out on a Electric which I still recommend because its easier on the hands to stick with for a few months to learn the basic chords. I got my first acoustic about 6 months after I started playing guitar. I over the next year got to the point where I was 50% Acoustic and 50% electric liking both equally for the next 10 years or so. I found that I enjoyed playing acoustic more at home and slowly got to where I wanted my Electric to play like my acoustic. I ended up really liking Gretsch guitars especially the Falcon and Phoenix models because of their large body and 25.5" scale length. I still own a Gretsch Black Falcon currently.

Over the last 12 years of my playing life I've slowly gone from 50/50 to 90/10 90% acoustic and 10% electric. I have tried going 100% acoustic but after a few months I get that electric itch and buy another Gretsch. I've tried various other Large body high end Electrics like the T3/B Taylor, Gibson ES-5, Gibson ES-335, PRS SCJ model and a few others. I always come back to being a Gretsch guy. They just sound look and feel right for my tastes. I have 4 high end acoustics and my Gretsch.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:48 AM

I'm an acoustic guy, but I'm also an electric guy - I love 'em both. I have no conflict: when it's time to play, I grab whatever guitar I feel like playing at that moment. Unless it's late and I can't make a lot of noise, then it's usually an acoustic that gets the nod. But I also have a few headphone amps with which I can play electric almost silently...
Old 08-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Yeah, every couple of years I get the urge to dabble with The Dark Side.

It reminds me why I play acoustic. i never keep them more than a week or so.
This has been my pattern for the last 5 years or so. Before that I was pretty much exclusively playing electric guitar. Now I will get excited about them again once or twice a year, buy all the gear, and remember why I stopped playing in the first place. Unfortunately I am back at that place again and feel like I'm going down that hole for a while.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:13 PM

I am an all acoustic guy - but that doesn't mean I don't listen to electric players. I also approach the acoustic like an electric (or at least in my head I do) which is to say lots of partial chords, focus on chord voicings all the way up the neck, and rhythm style that combines runs and chords. I joke with myself (mostly) about having paid for the entire fretboard and not just the first four frets. I'm also concerned with preserving my hearing and just don't like to be around the levels that tend have to be achieved to make the guitar/amp combo sound like it should sound.
2023 Eastman E1D-Sp
2023 Larrivee D03
Old 08-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
You can also play fingerstyle on an electric guitar, can't you?
I use fingers on electric too. Quite a nice sound, even unplugged, with some differences (that you can like, or not) like a lot more sustain. Quite a few electric players play "fingerstyle", though most use a flat pick (I use a flat pick plus fingers).
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 08-04-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishguitar623 View Post
... I'm also concerned with preserving my hearing and just don't like to be around the levels that tend have to be achieved to make the guitar/amp combo sound like it should sound.
Glad you brought this up.

True, a tube amp can only get that over-driven tube sound when the tubes are actually overdriven ... which used to mean LLLOOOUUUDDD!
But, no longer do you have to damage your hearing to get that true highly-driven tube tone.

My amp has the solution.
Anderton's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFvfKefeMxM

It has a circuit, basically a resistor rated at high wattage (placed after the last stage of gain) that converts most of the energy into heat.
Some of the energy (actually adjustable over 6 switch positions, 0 - 36 dB, of attenuation) is sent to the speaker.
It delivers all of the tone of a fine tube amp that sounds like it is cranking out hearing-destroying SPLs, but at apartment bedroom-level volume.
Not only did they solve the overdriven tube tone vs. volume problem, Tone King also incorporated the Fletcher-Munson Loudness Curves to compensate for that fact that the human ear-brain system experiences less bass and treble at lower volume.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves

At $2,600 the Tone King Imperial MK II ain't cheap.
https://reverb.com/p/tone-king-imper...E&hfid=1398064
Everyone who hears it gushes over the tone.

Hand made in America it's IMO worth every penny.
Astonishing vintage Fender black face (but better) tone, flexibility, quality and customer service too.
TDF dual spring reverb and a 60s surf tremolo is achieved by varying the bias on tubes.
Mine developed an issue so I emailed an issue and the owner, Mark Bartel.
He personally over-night shipped me replacement parts that same day.

Tone King's attenuator circuit is now available separately for $600 or so.
http://www.toneking.com/products/ironman-ii-mini/

Of course today many 'modeling' amps from China attempt to simulate everything possible at a tiny fraction of the price.

Last edited by Tico; 08-04-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:04 PM

I started on electric. I still play it some... mostly for students or when I want to practice more quietly than I can with acoustic. I like both, but I much prefer the acoustic and that's where all my musical ambitions are (mostly steel and some nylon too). These days the electric is a nice little change-up every so often, but that's about it.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 08-04-2017, 07:41 PM

I listen to all kinds of guitar music, but I have sworn off playing electrics. I had a good time years ago playing in a 3 piece garage blues band, but the electric is just not for me. I need the sound to pop out of the guitar as soon as I pluck, but I can always sense the slight delay that it takes for the sound to come out of an electric as it goes through effects and to the amp. Its a responsiveness thing for me.

I'm okay with knowing I'm an acoustic only guy.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydobbers View Post
I listen to all kinds of guitar music, but I have sworn off playing electrics. I had a good time years ago playing in a 3 piece garage blues band, but the electric is just not for me. I need the sound to pop out of the guitar as soon as I pluck, but I can always sense the slight delay that it takes for the sound to come out of an electric as it goes through effects and to the amp. Its a responsiveness thing for me.

I'm okay with knowing I'm an acoustic only guy.

Was your guitar cable 100ft long or something? That's some super natural feel you have there!
Old 08-05-2017, 03:54 AM

I play 90% electric, but when I'm in the right mood, its nice to have a really good acoustic guitar around. Its my only acoustic guitar right now, but it wows me everytime I play it. Makes me play totally different too, on the electric I play with a pick and mostly rock and metal type stuff. On the acoustic, its only fingerstyle for me.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 08-05-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Becker View Post
I play 90% electric, but when I'm in the right mood, its nice to have a really good acoustic guitar around. Its my only acoustic guitar right now, but it wows me everytime I play it. Makes me play totally different too, on the electric I play with a pick and mostly rock and metal type stuff. On the acoustic, its only fingerstyle for me.

Nice!

I have a Lowden F50 myself, and that's one thing I believe you never get to feel with electrics, or? I would imagine an expensive fender never can give you the same feeling as the insane craftsmanship that goes to an acoustic. I smile every time I pick up my Lowden.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:34 AM

I bought a Fender Strat back in 2011 and maybe played it 1 hour total since then.. so no problem, but a friend has a Gretsch 5420 hollow body which sounds a lot like a acoustic and every time we get together I play it and love it....

So I got gas and I'm waiting for my Candy apple red Gretsch G5420 to come in...

I will let you know!!!!
Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znerken View Post
Nice!

I have a Lowden F50 myself, and that's one thing I believe you never get to feel with electrics, or? I would imagine an expensive fender never can give you the same feeling as the insane craftsmanship that goes to an acoustic. I smile every time I pick up my Lowden.
Thanks.
I'd answer that question with yes and no. The AJ is very lightly built and a very responsive guitar, I was really shocked when I first played it in the store.
I was actually shopping for a much cheaper guitar, but the store was really empty so I decided to go into the "nice room". Made the mistake of playing the AJ you see on the picture. Struck the first chord and was like WOW,so thats why they cost that much. Still have that feeling everytime I play her.

With electrics, I can't speak of Fender, I only own a Squier Classic Vibe Tele (which is still a very nice guitar), but with the Gibsons I hear a definite difference between the LP Custom and the LP Studio. They both have the same pickups (490R /498T) and the same electronics (linear 300k volume, audio taper 500k tone).

What everyone who has played or heard my custom immediately notices is how clear it sounds even under high gain. It has incredible string separation, response and is very tight sounding with lots of attack. It also has sustain for days.

Mind you, the Studio (and the Traditional as well) is still an incredible guitar and its going nowhere but the Custom is just one level or two above it.
Is it four times better than a Studio ? No. But I always wanted a sunburst Custom

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion