The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2015, 09:19 AM

Default Nut or Zero Fret

at last an alternative nut material (without resorting to a Zero fret) - oh wait thats what it iz, it's a Zero Frut.

quote,
ZerO Glide Nuts
The easy way to install a nut, and accurate string height is built in.

Better tuning, better open string tone
The zero fret approach reduces string contact in the nut by 93%. Strings glide freely on the polished fret, and return to tune fast and reliably.

No modification needed
No cutting or changing your guitar. You can switch back to your conventional nut if you ever feel like it. Fretboard radius is not an issue: choose the ZerO Glide that fits your guitar, and the zero fret flexes to conform to your fretboard.

Available preslotted for most string spacings, and unslotted for any situation.

Last edited by srick; 05-25-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 AM

I just got an email from Stewmac about these. I'm interested to hear from users who have tried them.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 07-13-2015, 10:05 AM

They are making false claims. One, for example:

"It gives the lowest action you can possibly have." FALSE

Conventional nuts, just like zero frets, can be set higher or lower than the rest of the fret plane (wrong), or at the same height (plus a hair, for those who wish it - correct). There is no guarantee that the zero glide will match perfectly the radius of the existing frets, nor is there a guarantee that it will be automatically set at the correct height. In fact, it seems rather more problematic than a standard nut or a standard zero fret for setting at the correct height.

As frets are worn and need dressing, the fret plane will lower, requiring touch up of the nut. This zero glide system would be more difficult to dress the zero fret to the same level as the fret plane. Still, a conventional zero fret or conventional nut will be easier and more practical to set for proper level.

Their claims about tone - zero fret sounding just like a fretted note, are not necessarily true. Fretted notes have the fleshy pad of a finger-tip pressing down on the string behind the fret. Open strings have no fleshy pad pressing the string. Think of a see-saw - what happens on one side has a corresponding effect on the other side.

I find (to my ears, and yes, okay, it could be psycho acoustics, but I've been gifted by the gods with some pretty fine ears that have even heard undertones during a capela vocal performances), that zero frets sound brighter on the open strings than fretted notes.

A well cut bone nut should not wear down significantly - certainly at a rate much slower than the natural fret-wear which would require lowering of the nut slots. Binding in nut slots is simply a sign of poor or incomplete workmanship. Basic guitar setup suggests that the nut slot angle be approximately half way (vertically and horizontally) between the angle of the string from nut to saddle, and from nut to tuner post. More advanced nut setup is such that this still holds true, but the slot is curved gently so as to prevent any binding on the ends of the nut slots, and to balance the pressure of the string all across the length of the nut slot rather than concentrate the pressure of the string on the intake and out-take of the nut slot. This string pressure should be distributed across about 3.5mm or so (depending upon the nut profile - square or tapered), and again, this will ensure longevity of the nut slot and wear that is minimized or eliminated altogether.

The zero glide will seemingly concentrate all the string pressure on a much smaller surface area, and depending upon the geometry and angles, I can still conceive of "pinging" on strings while tuning. Anyone who has worked on guitars with zero frets knows that some zero frets begin to show evidence of the string pressure making grooves in the zero fret.

So, it is not the revolutionary idea the makers claim it to be. However, that said, it does seem to be an interesting mod for those who like zero frets and who wish to convert a conventional nutted guitar to a zero fret guitar.

That's my take!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 AM

Not a particularly new idea and a real pita to install. I've read many comments from users who have retro-fitted the "Zero Glide", just scroll down and check out the few purchaser responses from Stu-Mac's website from actual users:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...lide_Nuts.html

I prefer an actuasl zero fret myself, and avoid all of the fussiness resulting from simply trying to disguise a zero fret. It's probably not worth spending $30 and all that time to install a replacement nut that incorporates a zero fret on an existing instrument, and I certainly wouldn't do it on anything I placed much value on.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 PM

I watched both videos, NOT for me.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Nuts and frut are both part of a healthy diet.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM

I converted a neck to Zero fret about 4 years ago. Didn't think of doing it that way. But I was just duplicating an already existing concept.
BTW, Zero Frets, only work on open strings. Didn't consider that fact though that it would duplicate a fretted string, which does seem would be advantageous.

Dan

Old 07-13-2015, 01:35 PM

The way I see it, the only thing that a regular nut can't duplicate is the tone that a zero fret (or zero glide nut) gives the open strings. As a fingerstyle player, I love consistent tone that zero frets provide. Every acoustic I own has a zero fret.

Of course they aren't for everybody, but most people that like them love them. And the zero glide nut gives people an inexpensive and reversible option to see if zero frets are something they would like.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:36 PM

After watching the installation video at Stew-Mac, towards the end, they recommend spraying the nut with SILICONE spray. I would not get Silicone withing a mile of ant guitars. Not even on my hands before washing them completely. Silicone on the finish of a guitar will make it be almost impossible to refinish, if that is ever necessary. Silicone will leave very small Fisheye voids in clearcoat or paint. Maybe someone has the solution for this, but I haven't found it to my satisfaction. Anyone have agood experience and how did you do it ?

Dan
Old 07-13-2015, 02:53 PM

I prefer zero frets. Ive had my guitars nutted by highly recommended techs and none of them were done right. Zero fret solves that problem. Now I dont want this product as there are some problems with it.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:09 PM

I've installed two of them now, and have another on order. This all started when I got my Voyage Air and realized I liked the zero fret...

As for installation, I did not find it to be a PITA at all. It's just a matter of sanding it down to the proper height so the fret will seat. And then sanding the width so that it doesn't overhang on the ends.

I then put a dab of glue on and clamped it, without the actual fret-wire in place. Once the glue sets, add fret-wire and strings. They come with 3 different fret-wires for different heights. Although the instructions say to, I didn't bother gluing the fret-wire in.

Here is an example where I bought the un-slotted version and cut my own slots. That was an attempt to make a hybrid out of 52mm nut classical, thus the extreme inset of the outer E strings. Looks weird, but worked out well for me, and I'm happy with the end result. The typical pre-slotted models are easier to install.

Hope that helps,
Gary

Old 07-13-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Not a particularly new idea and a real pita to install.
Seriously, the tahini gets everywhere.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:05 PM

I very much like the tone and feel of my Zero Fret Harvey Leach guitars. I still find it odd but it seems to work and if I think a lot about it, it makes more sense than contact at the nut for tone. I doubt that I will convert any guitars...something about assuming the builders take the approach they like and work forward from that point to make the best guitar they can. So I don't feel the need to convert...at this point.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:10 PM

I don't see the point of a zero fret, as a more complicated and expensive solution can be made to work just as well with a lot more effort.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Ive had my guitars nutted by highly recommended techs and none of them were done right.
Honestly, you must not have had good work done for you.

A local well known shop here is one of my best friends, because as well known as they are, they often do sub-par work and their pissed-off clients come to me looking for a better option.

Just because a business is well known doesn't mean they will always do great work.

Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your nuts!! ;-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion