The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 08:55 AM

Default Experiences with Lightweight Polyfoam Cases?

When I recently got my Guild D-140, it came in a lightweight polyfoam case. It's basically a rigid expanded polystyrene shell lined in some sort of a crushed velvet material and wrapped in a zippered nylon jacket. It's really lightweight and it seems like it would be very protective from bumps and bruises (maybe not crushing) and it might not damage anything else (like my car) if I bumped into it.

It seems like it would be convenient and protective enough for toting my guitar around town. Anybody have experience with these? Do they hold up okay? Is the zipper sturdy? Do they hold humidity okay in the winter? Should I be shopping for a better case right away?

Thanks in advance for any experience you might have to share.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big*Al View Post
When I recently got my Guild D-140, it came in a lightweight polyfoam case. It's basically a rigid expanded polystyrene shell lined in some sort of a crushed velvet material and wrapped in a zippered nylon jacket. It's really lightweight and it seems like it would be very protective from bumps and bruises (maybe not crushing) and it might not damage anything else (like my car) if I bumped into it.

It seems like it would be convenient and protective enough for toting my guitar around town. Anybody have experience with these? Do they hold up okay? Is the zipper sturdy? Do they hold humidity okay in the winter? Should I be shopping for a better case right away?

Thanks in advance for any experience you might have to share.
I've got one that my Cordoba F10 flamenco came in. They'll do the job. I replaced it with a proper Humicase hard case (like the ones my Cordoba GK Pros came in). But once in a while when I want to go light (or don't want to subject my Humicase's tolex to nicks or tears, I'll put one of my guitars in the hard polyfoam case and take that to a gig instead. It works just fine. I would never put one in an airline cargo hold, but outside of that they get the job done just fine. They'll insulate your instrument from humidity better than a soft gigbag will, but not as well as a hard case (especially plastic) will. If you keep a soundhole or room humidifier properly humidified, the polyfoam case will do just fine.

Btw... I have had a couple of SKB iSeries hard plastic, waterproof guitar cases. If I knew that I was going to be checking my guitar at the airport or having to throw it down a flight of stairs or float it down the river, the iSeries cases are top notch (and HEAVY) and that's what I'd roll with. They also have wheels, so they're handy to roll through airports and down sidewalks.

Last edited by Red_Label; 05-25-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:08 AM

That sounds like the TRIC case I had. Mine didn't have the cover though. It was just the shell with a molded handle and two attachments for a shoulder strap. I carried my guitar around on the city bus or walking in all kinds of weather. You should be fine.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:09 AM

Although I have not used one with an acoustic guitar, I have used the SKB foam cases with electric guitars and electric basses and have been very happy with them taking my guitars to and from rehearsals, jams, etc. Great protection and they're super lightweight. Better protection than a gig bag, lighter and a little less cumbersome than a hardshell case.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:10 AM

My custom made guitar came from Canada in one by way of US/Canadian mail in the middle of winter. If a guitar can survive that its a good case.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:36 AM
Guest 1928

I have a Travelite for OM's and really like it. It's a bit bulky compared to a hard case, but very light weight and actually more sturdy than a lesser grade hard case.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

I have one for my Guild D-120. The zippers seem a little sketchy so in the winter when I use the case a lot I alternate which zipper is used to open the case.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have been using the Gator Transit Bag and I like it a lot. It is perfect for when I go to workshops and classes. I can easily carry it and since it is mostly going from the car to a classroom or back to my home or work, it is very convenient and my guitar is still protected from the weather and any small bumps. Like the SKB cases they are right in between a gig bag and a hard case.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgL0LfD_BwE

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 05-25-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 05-25-2018, 10:11 AM

I have a TRIC and an off-brand copy for a cheapo mandolin.

I'll second what's been said so far. Bulky, but lighter. I'd suspect more protective in more situations than a conventional hard case. They seem similar to a regular case in terms of holding humidity. In theory they'd be more insulating in temperature-change extremes.

Other than bulky, the main negative I note is that the zippers can be a bit sticky and they're a bit more fiddly to open and close because of that. I suppose eventually a zipper could tear or break, but then so do conventional latches.

I haven't replaced any of my hard cases with them, but if I had an even up choice between a TRIC and a conventional lower-end hard case, I think I might go with the TRIC.

I never owned one of the higher-end special plastics style hard cases, mostly due their cost and my lack of needing to transport my guitar often. I do have one of those waterproof rolling flight cases, and they're all that and a bag of chips for checked baggage.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-25-2018, 10:26 AM

I use the poly foam cases almost exclusively for carrying around town. The backpack straps and light weight can't be beat. I don't think they take up much more room, but they can take a beating. When I fly, I use the Hiscox Pro II. For my new fancy Stratocaster I have the Gator deluxe gig bag. It's super nice! I carried my old "workhorse" Strat in a Fender branded gig bag for 25 years without issue. I won't carry an acoustic in a gig bag. The acoustic can't manage stress and strain like a solid body guitar can. You need a hard shell to redistribute and absorb forces.

My OHSCs are all in the attic waiting patiently for me to get GAS and sell them with their respective guitars. :-)
Old 05-25-2018, 01:22 PM

My Yamaha LL16-12 came with one of those cases; I knew that when I ordered it and had resigned myself to replacing it with a more traditional HSC when I got the guitar, but darned if it wasn't a really good case...lightweight, tough, fits well, good protection, extra storage for notebooks, accessories, nice shoulder strap...I was pleasantly surprised.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

IMO these are the best possible cases. I had a SKB version for my GS Mini and loved it so much I bought one for a Martin 000-15 I had. Other than step-proofing, these are better protection. I would never trust my guitar to drop or fall down a short staircase in a hard case. But in these I am convinced they are much much safer.

So, if crushing, running over, stomping on, isn't your real worry then these are (IMO) the best and I would rather have one of these than a hard case every single time.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 PM

Yup, been using a couple of these for a few years and love them. Light, not too bulky and reasonably protective with general use. Mine are MBT, plain and simple black nylon over the inner foam and lining. Handles and shoulder strap.

Only damage other than scuffs was my Luthier opened it on his bench once and lent the lid against a hot lamp. Small hole burnt into foam and through nylon. A cross of gaff now adorns said lid. Mojo I suspect.

Only time now I use hard shells is once or twice a year if I need to toss it in plane cargo.

Kris
Old 05-25-2018, 09:21 PM

Default foam cases

These are surprisingly good. Cheap, lightweight, insulate well against weather changes, will take some hard knocks and they don't damage anything they may bang into. Sounds like everything you'd ever want, right? You are forgetting crushing; that's another thing that can damage a guitar and they fall below hard cases in that kind of protection. Also, they will not work as a flight case.

Think of what particular dangers are likely, then examine your wallet and how much weight your arms can take. Now, make your decision.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:00 PM

I hated the cheap flat lid 340 case my Martin 000 mmv came in, so I got a sturdy travelite style case. It's held up well over the last two years and shows no sign of wear. Nylon cover and zipper are fine. I dumped the crappy Martin case

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion