The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-10-2018, 03:26 AM

Another iP1000 owner here...glad to see another!

I have some thoughts regarding the prominence of the upper end of the spectrum you're hearing.

I don't know if the L1C has a tweeter in it, but I know the Eon One doesn't. A more suitable comparison can probably be drawn between the L1C and the iP500 if that is the case. The presence of the tweeter alone shifts the balance of the sound considerably. Were you to grow accustomed to hearing it, switching to something without would perhaps sound duller by comparison. Food for thought.

Each of the midrange drivers and indeed the tweeter have their own crossovers (it may be in pairs...unsure on that part). If you play some material through it at low enough volume to get your ear right up to the grill, you'll distinctly hear the lower drivers covering the lower midrange, and on up the tower to the tweeter.

It stands to reason that if you perform close to the tower, you are likely not getting that full spread of frequencies that might be more apparent just a few feet out.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

* I'm jus chimin in cuz I like Gary's videos! Always consistent, fun to listen to, and that fiddle back D18 is freakin awesome!

** Nice playing bro, PEF version is chillax cool. ...so as I said on the phone I think the Bose sounds more natural and unplugged; very nice for the venue your in. However, if I was playing at a more uptempo venue, I would use and prefer the punchier tone of the Turbo.

eric
Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 AM

In regards to the ToneMatch T1 Mixer. (Bose)

As a fairly new L1 Compact user (I also own the T1) ...
In a Solo acoustic guitarist/singer -- small venue performance situation.
I do not find a huge amount of "value" in the T1.

Yes it sounds fantastic, easy to use and has ton of versatility /functions.

But I find my Guitar+Mic into >>TCH Play Acoustic >> Bose L1C works "just" as well or better.

Again, this has to do with solo "gig" sound and ease of use.
Not pristine studio situations or perhaps bigger venues (which I have not played).

Gary's sound and rig including the Fishman Platinum EQ sounds fantastic as well.

Interestingly, I am finding myself wanting to scale back...
In fact, I am considering going with a Boss AD-2 Preamp, Boss Tuner and TCH Harmony Singer pedal.
Although, I prob could use an EQ too ..brings me back to the TC Play Acoustic ...
Which for me covers a lot of ground (vocals and guitar effects) for the $.

This post was mainly for anyone considering the Bose L1C ,,,The T1 is not necessary ..
In fact in my case it's redundant in many areas... Except the mixer. Which I do not get with pedals alone.

Of course IMO and YMMV .. Please don't forget to tip your servers and bartenders ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I do not use a Tonematch. My guitar signal chain is:

Shure GLXD Wireless-> TC Helicon Harmony singer (Guitar pass thru) ->Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp - > Diamond ML JR Delay -> Boss Waza Chorus - > Boss RV-6 Reverb -> EHX 720 Stereo Looper (Used in Mono)

All that said, all pedals were off except for the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp. That lets me shape my sound if needed for varying sonic spaces. Mostly set eq flat which sounds very identical to plugging in directly. I scooped the mids from Noon (Center detent) to 11 o'clock. Bass at Noon (Center detent) and Treble at Noon (Center), Brialliance rolled down to 10 o'clock.

In some venues, I am standing even a little bit closer to the Bose. That is when the Bose clearly is superior to the Turbosound. The Bose disperses evenly and the volume to the 2nd row of tables (20') is very similar to what I hear standing right in front of the Bose. In this regard, it is the best nearfield monitor I could hope for ..and doesn't rip my head off if I need more volume.

The Turbosound is more like a traditional loudspeaker. Its HOT right in front and volume falls off the further out you go. Its still very good, but not as even and friendly as the Bose. (if that makes sense?)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottledAwesome View Post
Another iP1000 owner here...glad to see another!

I have some thoughts regarding the prominence of the upper end of the spectrum you're hearing.

I don't know if the L1C has a tweeter in it, but I know the Eon One doesn't. A more suitable comparison can probably be drawn between the L1C and the iP500 if that is the case. The presence of the tweeter alone shifts the balance of the sound considerably. Were you to grow accustomed to hearing it, switching to something without would perhaps sound duller by comparison. Food for thought.

Each of the midrange drivers and indeed the tweeter have their own crossovers (it may be in pairs...unsure on that part). If you play some material through it at low enough volume to get your ear right up to the grill, you'll distinctly hear the lower drivers covering the lower midrange, and on up the tower to the tweeter.

It stands to reason that if you perform close to the tower, you are likely not getting that full spread of frequencies that might be more apparent just a few feet out.
Just checked the specs and the Compact stick indeed doesn't have a tweeter--just the six 2-inch drivers. Interesting thought about the difference between that and the IP1000.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:53 AM

Growers, what is attached to the top of the Compact tower? Kind of looks like a mic or small light.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Groberts, what is attached to the top of the Compact tower? Kind of looks like a mic or small light.
Oh yeah, I forgot to turn it on. It is a Mighty Bright Clip on LED Light. The bose Tower has an indentation that allows to clip onto the top of the tower. Helps add a little more light in dark spaces. Didn't really need it at this venue. If it would have been darker, I probably would have remembered to turn it on.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
In regards to the ToneMatch T1 Mixer. (Bose)

As a fairly new L1 Compact user (I also own the T1) ...
In a Solo acoustic guitarist/singer -- small venue performance situation.
I do not find a huge amount of "value" in the T1.

Yes it sounds fantastic, easy to use and has ton of versatility /functions.

But I find my Guitar+Mic into >>TCH Play Acoustic >> Bose L1C works "just" as well or better.

Again, this has to do with solo "gig" sound and ease of use.
Not pristine studio situations or perhaps bigger venues (which I have not played).

Gary's sound and rig including the Fishman Platinum EQ sounds fantastic as well.

Interestingly, I am finding myself wanting to scale back...
In fact, I am considering going with a Boss AD-2 Preamp, Boss Tuner and TCH Harmony Singer pedal.
Although, I prob could use an EQ too ..brings me back to the TC Play Acoustic ...
Which for me covers a lot of ground (vocals and guitar effects) for the $.

This post was mainly for anyone considering the Bose L1C ,,,The T1 is not necessary ..
In fact in my case it's redundant in many areas... Except the mixer. Which I do not get with pedals alone.

Of course IMO and YMMV .. Please don't forget to tip your servers and bartenders ...
Thanks for sharing Jake. I'm glad you shared about the Bose L1 Compact o this thread. That system is still my 'preference' and I agree, the T1 Tonematch mixer or any other mixer are not necessary nor does the system really sound much better or different. Especially true for Solo act. If you need more channels than two, either the Turbosound IP1000 or Bose L1 Compact need an external mixer.

I love using the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ pedalboard preamp. It makes plugging into any system highly configurable for ultimate tone shaping if the venue needs anything.

The Boss AD-2/Harmony Singer/tuner would totally work. The Plat Pro EQ has a tuner built in, but I prefer the tuner in my Shure GLXD wireless foot pedal receiver. (or TC Polytune mini+ is a great foot pedal tuner as well)

Noledog - You are too kind my friend! Thank you.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to turn it on. It is a Mighty Bright Clip on LED Light. The bose Tower has an indentation that allows to clip onto the top of the tower. Helps add a little more light in dark spaces. Didn't really need it at this venue. If it would have been darker, I probably would have remembered to turn it on.

That's a great idea, nice back light. I hate playing in the dark almost as much as carrying lighting gear around.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
That's a great idea, nice back light. I hate playing in the dark almost as much as carrying lighting gear around.
Which is why I have my shoulder bag with a pair of ADJ rechargeable LED stagelights and a pair of their micro lasers. Hate playing in the dark and with the compact (heavy, but compact) bag carrying all the essentials, I never do gigs in the dark and it's a piece of cake to set them up and haul them about.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 AM

I have the IP1000 and it is a nice little system. With a K&K pickup I found initially the acoustic sounded flat and mid-tinny. I had to reduce the mids on the IP1000 to around -8 to -10 for the acoustic to sound good. I use the system with the K&K XLR preamp and an 8 channel external mixer for fine tuning. Vocals always sound great and overall good grab and go system. One day I hope to take the plunge like Groberts and get an Evolve 50 system. All the sound clips I heard on the Evolve 50 have a depth and clarity that you can tell is a little better than the IP1000.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Seems strange to me that you'd opt to change the system EQ to suit the guitar.

Did the vocals not suffer from that change?
Old 09-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbigsby View Post
I have the IP1000 and it is a nice little system. With a K&K pickup I found initially the acoustic sounded flat and mid-tinny. I had to reduce the mids on the IP1000 to around -8 to -10 for the acoustic to sound good. I use the system with the K&K XLR preamp and an 8 channel external mixer for fine tuning. Vocals always sound great and overall good grab and go system. One day I hope to take the plunge like Groberts and get an Evolve 50 system. All the sound clips I heard on the Evolve 50 have a depth and clarity that you can tell is a little better than the IP1000.
When I use the Turbosound IP1000, I usually scoop the midrange as well. It makes it sound more natural for everything; Vocals and guitar. The system has plenty of inherent midrange, so its nice to have that EQ adjustability.

That said, the EV evolve 50 still sounds better to my ears. and the EV projects more like a conventional speaker, but with some of the advantages of a column array speaker.

My duo partner loves the Turbosound IP1000 and just bought one for himself so we now have a pair of them. But we have not used them yet.

Here is a video of a live show I did recently. The Recorder was on my side in front of the EV Evolve 50. (The TS1000 was on the other side and the pair of these two systems was amazing) But the recording very much captures the EV Evolve 50.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 09-11-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Yes that is the video that makes me want an Evolve 50. Good to know that you like scooping the mids as well, I thought my ears were going. Normally I like keeping everything flat, however to truly get a natural acoustic sound scooping the mids on the Turbosound was the only option. I did try using the Mid and Mid sweep on my Behringer mixer, and playing with the K&K Xlr preamp. In the end it was not as pleasant sounding as sweeping the mids on the Turbosound. I am a guitar player first so it was essential in getting a good guitar sound first then I worked on fine tuning the Vocals. I do have to say in any configuration the Vocals always sounded good.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:48 PM

Just saw your new upload of the ip1000. What a difference, the ev has a richer defined tone. Props to for bringing out two systems.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbigsby View Post
Just saw your new upload of the ip1000. What a difference, the ev has a richer defined tone. Props to for bringing out two systems.
Yessir. the Electrovoice Evolve 50 for me is really more complete sonically. I can make peace the the Turbosound and using both was great because I stand in the middle with guests on my far left and right. The side dispersion is great. So I personally got a great sound, but I largely prefer the EV Evolve 50. It is also twice the cost of the Turbosound IP1000.

But the Turbosound IP1000 was pretty darned good. (The recorder is in front of the Turbosound IP1000 here. But the EV Evolve 50 was on my right sound.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification