The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 11:00 AM

Default To iPad, or not to iPad...how do you do it?

I am wondering how many players out there use an iPad during live performances? I used to hate seeing a music stand with the giant three-ring binder on it when I went to see solo acoustic musicians, but I am seeing more and more iPads up on stage even with big professional touring groups. At least with the iPad it is a little more unobtrusive and out of the way, but what are your thoughts? I can see the benefit of both. A song is always better when it is memorized but a lot of songs are totally fun when someone just kind of makes it up on the fly using tablature or chord charts.

Unfortunately my old eyes have ventured into the 12.9" iPad territory. If there are any of you that use an iPad (especially the bigger version) what do you use as far as mounting it to the mic stand? I want to be able to leave it in the case if possible if I decide to use it from time to time. Thoughts? Suggestions? How do you feel about seeing an iPad on stage?
Old 11-23-2020, 11:20 AM

This question comes up with regularity, so I'll offer my thoughts:

I've used my ancient 2ng-gen iPad now for yeeeaaars live and it is a superb way of keeping songs at finger's reach, a lyric aid for when you forgot the first words of that 3rd verse, or for that song you hadn't done a three years. A well-organized song tablet a great tool to have, period.

It is also unobtrusive on stage and so much more professionally looking than the old-school binder, btdt like everyone else here. I use a mic-stand holder for my ipad mounted around waist high and it pretty much "disappears" from the audience's perspective. Oh, and I have mine in a heavy-duty otterbox case; essential, imho, as stage "stuff" happens. So the style of "holder" I use looks like a small music stand (scarcely larger than the ipad itself) that clamps onto mic stand. Amazon has many to choose from.

Going through the setlist has never been easier. Create the setlist for that performance, and you simply scroll through. I use an "airturn" BT pedal that allows me to go forward/backward at the tap of a foot ...say goodbye to reaching for that dopey page.

So easy to add songs, change songs, change arrangements, change order, make "annotations" specific to a song or performance, or make whatever changes one needs. Not to mention the ability to share those changes with any other player in seconds if they have the same tablet/software as you. Or email them to band members ahead of rehearsals.

FWIW, my old ipad is so slow it is largely useless for anything but email or mild net browsing. Yet it is still as good as day one when it was the newest ipad because the software is not demanding. Lots of song apps to choose from out there, but for an ipad I have consistently recommended UnrealBook. This app simply works well. It allows one to do whatever one would typically expect to do for a song library app. Moreover, the developer is a real gearhead, gets back to you quickly should you have any questions or issues, which really are few and far between.

A bit of food for thought ...hope that helps you a bit

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 11-23-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:20 AM

I had an ipad mount thingy for awhile
But it broke. I use a little clamp
On tray that has a drink holder.
iPad just lays flat on the tray.
I use an app called "onsong"
Stores my setlist and scrolls so
My fingers dont leave my hands.
It looks like this. I have an older 9 inch ipad though.
I use it for words sometime. Or for new songs the band does
As we sometimes try out the easier stuf cold.
But mostly for the app that controls the qsc touchmix mixer.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...th-pick-holder

Last edited by varmonter; 11-25-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:24 AM

I'm trying to imagine Bruce Springsteen on stage with an iPad. I guess there's a point where I'd want my money back.

For gigs I see an iPad user as less of a professional. Where i've found it to be a good thing, however, is when jamming with friends who want to sit in on songs that are new to them. Pre-covid I would meet with a group of friends that would gather in a house-concern setting and do music that everyone was invited to join in on. We would send out lyrics with chords a week or so prior to a gathering, and many would print these out and use music stands. When I started using an iPad with that group, suddenly everyone wanted to go that way. It worked well.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I've been using an iPad for performances for 10 years now and for me it works really well. I arrange songs into several different set lists so I can choose a list and give a fresh performance at any venue I play regularly. And I also have memory issues so it really helps me to have the song in front of me to glance at if I go blank. It also opens the door to me playing requests of songs that I may have never performed before. It's also much less distracting than a big music stand with a 3 ring binder on it, it's much quicker too.

So far I have not been able to find a holder that will allow me to leave my iPad in it's case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84588697_10217623057917266_4906327990478045184_o.jpg (43.6 KB, 599 views)
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-23-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I'm trying to imagine Bruce Springsteen on stage with an iPad.
Many pros use teleprompters. The Boss is one of them.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 11-23-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine Bruce Springsteen on stage with an iPad. I guess there's a point where I'd want my money back.

For gigs I see an iPad user as less of a professional. Where i've found it to be a good thing, however, is when jamming with friends who want to sit in on songs that are new to them. Pre-covid I would meet with a group of friends that would gather in a house-concern setting and do music that everyone was invited to join in on. We would send out lyrics with chords a week or so prior to a gathering, and many would print these out and use music stands. When I started using an iPad with that group, suddenly everyone wanted to go that way. It worked well.
You know those floor monitors you see on every stage for these touring artists? Those aren't monitors, they use in-ear monitors now. Everybody wants to make sure they give the best live performance possible, so having song cues on stage is another tool in the box.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-23-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:

For gigs I see an iPad user as less of a professional. ....
Yeah, I get what you mean, to be sure. But I ain't the Boss, so that part is easy to get over

There clearly is zero substitution for knowing the performance inside out ..we know this. But c'mon, many of us schmucks --yeah, that's my middle name-- do the gig thing as for fun and not as a pros. I have a day job that supports four kids and a wife --the latter of which thankfully supports my geekiness. So the gigs we get (as a coverband trio) are all for fun. We dig it, the audience digs it, and we get asked back. But no one is confusing us with a genuinely pro act. And I am guessing there are countless others who do likewise. So a tablet is not real detriment to the performance if the performance is good from the onset. Not to mention one can even have the tablet on the floor canted up, and this is now wholly invisible to the audience. And yes, I have seen some good acts with a small video monitor on the floor, much as others have, so clearly there is something there, there.

just sayin...

Edward
Old 11-23-2020, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

PSA, if you have an older ipad and you use Onsong, dont do the newest iOS upgrade. Ask me how I found that out
Old 11-23-2020, 11:40 AM

Well, if you like to play for others (or just in your own space) and need to see the music and/or set list, then you need to use something, be it an I pad or binder. Look at it this way, if it gets you to play or keeps you playing music, then use it. Playing is not about reaching a certain “level” of professionalism that others may not approve of, it is about YOU playing music. There is no standard, really, for looking a certain way, or dressing in a certain manner. The standard is, and always has been (for most of us) is how the music sounds.
I have heard some amazing music in all kinds of circumstances. If it sounds good to me then I listen. I may have some preferences about how a person may appear, but if the music is good then all these issues go away. I cannot see with my ears.....
If you need an IPad then most certainly you should be using one. But keep playing. That is what really matters....
Old 11-23-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
So the style of "holder" I use looks like a small music stand (scarcely larger than the ipad itself) that clamps onto mic stand. Amazon has many to choose from.
Do you have a link or model you could share? It is kind of funny because "old-school" players that have been around forever notice the iPad and younger guns just see it as another stage necessity like pedals, a tuner, or amp! Yep, my age is showing. Hahaha! It really helps me in keeping a setlist. I am HORRIBLE about just having a list of say 60 songs and just jumping around all over the list. My brother is a drummer and it drives him nuts. (Come to think of it, that may be why I do it!) But having a list really helps with continuity and a smooth performance.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
Ithere are any of you that use an iPad (especially the bigger version) what do you use as far as mounting it to the mic stand? I want to be able to leave it in the case if possible if I decide to use it from time to time. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I keep mine in an Otterbox. The only clamp on stand I've found that fits it is this one, though there may well be others out there. One unanticipated benefit of this one is how configurable it is. Being crammed into various small spaces sometimes requires creative mic stand placement, and this worker great. Expensive, but it's paid for itself.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/KM/Univ...xoCaIYQAvD_BwE
Old 11-23-2020, 11:57 AM

This one has been working great for me so far:

K&M 19742 Universal Tablet Holder

The version I've got actually uses a screw clamp rather than a threaded mount, which means I don't have to devote a separate mic stand to it. The threaded version might be a tick more stable, though the screw clamp on mine seems very sturdy and grips firmly. The combination of spring clamp and adjustable side arm holds the iPad in a very tight, solid way. I can lift the stand and carry it around with the holder and iPad attached without worrying.

EDIT: Ha -- looks like Coop47 and I posted the same unit at the same time.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:58 AM

I think utilizing an iPad is fine and highly doubt the vast majority of people in the audience think it looks unprofessional regardless of the level of professional on stage. Remember, iPads and such are used for more than displaying lyrics. Apps now allow players to adjust speaker/amp settings, how each individual sits in the mix of a band, as well as give individuals control over their monitor settings, in ear or floor. Making these adjustments on a well lit iPad is ten times better than having to lean down, instrument in hand or on a stand, squint your eyes, and hope you get the right level on the right dial.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:05 PM

Default To iPad, or not to iPad...how do you do it?

I use an iPad for some of our shows, not for chords or music but to give me cues for the words!

I use the iK BlueTurn footswitch to flip pages mid performance which reduces the visual impact for the audience and makes it an excellent tool on stage. I bought a special bundle which also included the mic stand holder:

https://m.thomann.de/se/ik_multimedi...095ad733337365

A good tip is to buy a longer than standard lightning cable so you can have it powered all the time. A regular Apple cable will do but limits where you can place it and the power strip in relation to each other.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 11-24-2020 at 01:31 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion