The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat01 View Post
Yes, my search is limited to small body guitars. For me, it is the combination of the lower bout size and depth that are key. Looking at the SCGC 1929 vs the Skye for example. The shallower body of the Skye is much more appealing. Alas, it is also much more expensive and out of my budget. Speaking of budget...as far as the wedge shaped guitars go, I'm not familar with any that can be had for under $3.5k?
Taylor 812 deluxe or the new 812 have the bevels and smaller bodies for that price
Old 11-23-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Per my initial thread in this forum, I'm looking at getting a new (to me) guitar. I haven't been in the market for a long, long, time and while much hasn't changed, one new item is the bevel. Since I have shoulder challenges, the idea intrigues me. I'm curious to get people's thoughts on them. Do they have a meaningful impact on comfort?
I highly recommend the body bevel.
There are several lower-tier acoustic guitars now sporting an arm bevel as well as many higher boutique offerings.

If you have a local luthier available have them build you one of these:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=579732
Old 11-23-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I highly recommend the body bevel.
There are several lower-tier acoustic guitars now sporting an arm bevel as well as many higher boutique offerings.

If you have a local luthier available have them build you one of these:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=579732
I am a bit tempted, having most all of the necessary tools and I built a Martin from the kit many, many years ago. Just not sure I want to invest the time in it. Sounds like you must have experience with bevels...what guitars do you/have you owned with them?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
Taylor 812 deluxe or the new 812 have the bevels and smaller bodies for that price
Doesn't seem like there are many out there. I saw one or two 812/912's. Must be relatively new?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I am a bit tempted, having most all of the necessary tools and I built a Martin from the kit many, many years ago. Just not sure I want to invest the time in it. Sounds like you must have experience with bevels...what guitars do you/have you owned with them?
The only guitar I own with a bevel is the 00 that I built for myself. That came as a result of formulating a lit of what I really wanted in an acoustic but (1) not finding that particular combination and , (2) not wanting to pay the asking price for those features. (I'm cheap...)

I played a few body beveled acoustics, a low end Alverez, a Taylor Academy, and a high end Taylor and really loved the body bevel.

In my case I wanted to build an un-bound mahogany body, so the arm bevel was really simple to incorporate.

You can see this in the Taylor Academy. It's obvious that since they were doing the Academy as an unbound guitar then they could throw in the body bevel as a free feature.

I've been playing my 00 exclusively for the last year and I would have difficulty ever going back to a body without the bevel. Even on a smaller body instrument it still adds substantially to the comfort of playing.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:59 PM

I really like the bevel. It's easier on the shoulder and facilitates arm movement while playing.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
I really like the bevel. It's easier on the shoulder and facilitates arm movement while playing.
Looking at your user name reminds me that my love of arm comfort is the result of building a lot of open back banjos. I learned early on that a comfortable "interface" over the area where the forearm contacts the top edge of the pot could make the difference between "comfortable like an old shoe" and needing corrective surgery for tenon damage to the forearm!

I designed and used a custom arm rest to use on my instruments, and the "arm bevel" is a great version of that feature for the guitar.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The only guitar I own with a bevel is the 00 that I built for myself. That came as a result of formulating a lit of what I really wanted in an acoustic but (1) not finding that particular combination and , (2) not wanting to pay the asking price for those features. (I'm cheap...)

I played a few body beveled acoustics, a low end Alverez, a Taylor Academy, and a high end Taylor and really loved the body bevel.

In my case I wanted to build an un-bound mahogany body, so the arm bevel was really simple to incorporate.

You can see this in the Taylor Academy. It's obvious that since they were doing the Academy as an unbound guitar then they could throw in the body bevel as a free feature.

I've been playing my 00 exclusively for the last year and I would have difficulty ever going back to a body without the bevel. Even on a smaller body instrument it still adds substantially to the comfort of playing.
I would love to build my own, but I'm not sure I have the patience with all the other projects I have going on.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
I noticed that Lowden also makes some with bevels, in both their 'std' and budget lines.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:05 AM

My Lowden has a nice bevel and I find it very comfortable. I suspect the amount of additional comfort will be directly related to how much pressure you put on that edge with your arm.

I like mine, but my Martin doesn't have a bevel and I don't complain the whole time I'm playing that one.

Getting down under dread size is a huge help for the shoulder.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-24-2020, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

I have been experimenting with various new to me guitars in the last few years.

I recently picked up an Edwinson multiscale Performance which is a large Jumbo guitar. It has rib and forearm bevels and feels and plays like some of my OMs.

I have a Yamaha SLG200N that I'm currently selling. When I originally purchased it i noticed that when I played it particularly with short sleeves, my forearm would start getting discomfort and get red marks from where the edge would cut into me. And to a lesser impact at the chest. I changed the countour to closer to a bevel on the upper arm piece (as it's detachable) the impact was very noticeable. Forearm discomfort was basically gone.

Bevels basically make the guitar feel one to two sizes smaller although I can't speak as to how much they would help with shoulder discomfort. For disclosure I am 6'4 with gorilla arms.

My Thompson T2 and various smaller body guitars I have don't have bevels and I don't find I miss them on the smaller instruments.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I have two guitars with a wedge configuration, an OM size and the other a jumbo size at 16 inches. Both are the most comfortable to play I own. The smaller one has a slight wedge, not really noticable. The Yamamato jumbo is like playing a 00 despite it's size. The wedge is very pronounced

Both lack nothing in tone and projection. If I were to have a custom build I would go for a wedge over a bevel.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 AM

Great distinction, Racerbob. A wedge makes the whole body thinner where the shoulder reaches over it. A bevel mitigates the sharp corner that digs into your forearm as it drapes across the upper bout. From context in some of the comments, it appears that people are mixing the terms.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:22 AM

Dread player here. I have a bevel on one of my guitars and it really makes a difference in comfort, mostly due to the elimination of the sharp edge.

I can't answer if a bevel is going to help with your shoulder issues, it doesn't help mine, but it's still worth it for the above mentioned reason alone.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I'd disagree with the premise that a bevel only helps the forearm.

Anything that moves the contact point for your right arm away from your shoulder and closer to your body is likely to make your shoulder more comfortable.

Anything that allows you to need to use less tension in your shoulder muscles to keep your arm and guitar in position also should help.

Basically I think all of the following will have some impact on how much shoulder strain you have:

Lower bout width
Lower bout width at upper edge of arm
Lower bout depth
Waist width
Angle of the surface where your arm makes contact
Contours of the guitar for how closely it fits to your body and how that impacts the angle it sits on your body.
All the variables that go into soundhole and bridge locations and how that will change where your right hand wants to play
The finish material and back shape and contour and how that impacts how much pressure you need to apply to keep it in position

Great thing is there are so many solutions out there now that one of them is likely to find something for people that works and that is likely going to be down to each individual finding the right combo of things that work for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Great distinction, Racerbob. A wedge makes the whole body thinner where the shoulder reaches over it. A bevel mitigates the sharp corner that digs into your forearm as it drapes across the upper bout. From context in some of the comments, it appears that people are mixing the terms.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion