The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 07:42 AM

Default Bevels?

Per my initial thread in this forum, I'm looking at getting a new (to me) guitar. I haven't been in the market for a long, long, time and while much hasn't changed, one new item is the bevel. Since I have shoulder challenges, the idea intrigues me. I'm curious to get people's thoughts on them. Do they have a meaningful impact on comfort?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Beveled guitars are very comfortable but guitar body size will have a much greater impact on your shoulder challenges. Bevels are mostly comfortable for your forearm as it removes that sharp edge. The 'distance' your shoulder is 'moved' by a bevel is only maybe a half inch. Conversely a smaller 0 or 00 body size guitar will be more beneficial for someone with shoulder issues.

I have owned guitars with bevels and they do provide a nice bit of comfort and depending on the guitar they can also look quite nice. Many of your higher-end small luthier built guitars with bevels will have a nice contrasting and sometimes nicely figured wood that compliments the overall look of the guitar. Of course it's also a significant upcharge to the base price.

There are budget guitars that offer bevels stock like the Taylor Academy series and there was a Washburn model that had them as well. Then of course the entire Emerald carbon fiber line has them stock as well as the 'belly cut/bevel' and an offset thigh angle cut which makes for just about the most comfortable guitar on the market to sit and play.

And just to muddy the waters even more you can look for a guitar that features a 'Manzer Wedge' which is a build feature where the top of the upper and lower bout is slightly smaller than the bottom bouts, significantly reducing shoulder angle and therefore fatigue/pain.

Last edited by Methos1979; 11-23-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:22 AM

When I purchased my Takamine's, Alvarez was in consideration. One of the big pluses was the comfort bevel.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 11-23-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Beveled guitars are very comfortable but guitar body size will have a much greater impact on your shoulder challenges. Bevels are mostly comfortable for your forearm as it removes that sharp edge. The 'distance' your shoulder is 'moved' by a bevel is only maybe a half inch. Conversely a smaller 0 or 00 body size guitar will be more beneficial for someone with shoulder issues.

I have owned guitars with bevels and they do provide a nice bit of comfort and depending on the guitar they can also look quite nice. Many of your higher-end small luthier built guitars with bevels will have a nice contrasting and sometimes nicely figured wood that compliments the overall look of the guitar. Of course it's also a significant upcharge to the base price.

There are budget guitars that offer bevels stock like the Taylor Academy series and there was a Washburn model that had them as well. Then of course the entire Emerald carbon fiber line has them stock as well as the 'belly cut/bevel' and an offset thigh angle cut which makes for just about the most comfortable guitar on the market to sit and play.

And just to muddy the waters even more you can look for a guitar that features a 'Manzer Wedge' which is a build feature where the top of the upper and lower bout is slightly smaller than the bottom bouts, significantly reducing shoulder angle and therefore fatigue/pain.
Yes, my search is limited to small body guitars. For me, it is the combination of the lower bout size and depth that are key. Looking at the SCGC 1929 vs the Skye for example. The shallower body of the Skye is much more appealing. Alas, it is also much more expensive and out of my budget. Speaking of budget...as far as the wedge shaped guitars go, I'm not familar with any that can be had for under $3.5k?
Old 11-23-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat01 View Post
Yes, my search is limited to small body guitars. For me, it is the combination of the lower bout size and depth that are key. Looking at the SCGC 1929 vs the Skye for example. The shallower body of the Skye is much more appealing. Alas, it is also much more expensive and out of my budget. Speaking of budget...as far as the wedge shaped guitars go, I'm not familar with any that can be had for under $3.5k?
Once you get down to the 00-size guitars I doubt a thinner depth would make all that much difference unless you're shoulder pain is severe in which case you might want/need to go with something more electric-ish. The Santa Cruz guitars are excellent. I've owned two of the 1929 00 models and I would love to test drive a Skye model but you're right, they are much pricier than the 1929. You just missed a Skye in the classifieds a week or so ago. They pop from time to time. Same with the 1929 models.

The only stock model I know off the top of my head that offers a stock Manzer wedge shape is the Journey OF660 which is a small body carbon fiber travel guitar. I've owned two of those and if you travel and fly a lot they are excellent but they can also be left assembled and played on a couch as well, of course. They are only around $1.2k new but likely not what you're looking for.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:13 AM

The top on my 1942 Harmony H165 is beveled. Every model built from 1940 into the early 1970s had what Harmony called a "rolled" top edge.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, my search is limited to small body guitars. For me, it is the combination of the lower bout size and depth that are key.
Based on those comments you could look at the Taylor Academy Series A12, although it is way below the models and price you are thinking about. Perhaps one of their Grand Concert sized Builder's Editions higher up the food chain? There is also a brand of cheaper import / laminate guitars called Woodsong where the whole lower bout becomes a bevel and the sound board is curved. The smallest body they have is an OM. https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/woodsong/

I'm a big fan of arm bevels for forearm comfort - to the point of never planning to buy anything without a bevel ever again. I don't have much experience with the Manzer wedge except for a few brief tries at Healdsburg 2011. And no recollection of anything under $3500 with a wedge.

Years ago right shoulder issues made me switch to playing classical position / left leg to relieve should pain. A major shoulder injury and rotator cuff in early 2019 made that permanent. So I would ask if you have experimented with positions other than "guitar sitting on right thigh"?
Old 11-23-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

Years ago right shoulder issues made me switch to playing classical position / left leg to relieve should pain. A major shoulder injury and rotator cuff in early 2019 made that permanent. So I would ask if you have experimented with positions other than "guitar sitting on right thigh"?
There is no doubt that the classical position makes a huge difference. However, as much as I try, it feels like trying to write with my left hand. Yeah, I know, with patience, over time it will seem natural. Old dog/no new tricks
Old 11-23-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, my search is limited to small body guitars.
The smaller the guitar, the less difference a bevel is going to make.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:26 AM

I have an Eastman AC222CE and an AC522CE, both are the same GA body size but the 522 has a bevel. I bought it mostly for this reason because I was feeling pain in my arm after playing for a long time on the 222. In my case, the difference in comfort is huge, like wearing ski boots vs sneakers.. I don't have any shoulder pain problem but the guitar also feels a bit smaller with the bevel.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouks View Post
I have an Eastman AC222CE and an AC522CE, both are the same GA body size but the 522 has a bevel. I bought it mostly for this reason because I was feeling pain in my arm after playing for a long time on the 222. In my case, the difference in comfort is huge, like wearing ski boots vs sneakers.. I don't have any shoulder pain problem but the guitar also feels a bit smaller with the bevel.
Thanks for your take...great to hear a solid apples to apples comparison
Old 11-23-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Burner #21

Paulskim586 has a Burner guitar for sale- looked like a Zombie thread until a bump about two weeks ago.
The only example of a Manzer wedge body under 3.5k that I’ve ever seen posted.
I have a Burner guitar, #15. It’s a beautifully built guitar and has held up well over its 7 year life.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:20 PM

the bevel is more comfortable for sure, but the shoulder issues as said earlier are more dependent on the body size.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:39 PM

I wouldn’t want a small bodied guitar to have a bevel, creating an even smaller sounding guitar.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-23-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I wouldn’t want a small bodied guitar to have a bevel, creating an even smaller sounding guitar.
They should not sound smaller - unless they actually are of course. The idea behind the wedge is that the lower side is wider, compensating for a narrower upper side. The volume should not change because of a wedge.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion