The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-14-2020, 10:41 PM

Default Acceptable replacement for Rikenbacker 360/12?

What would be a more modestly priced 12 string electric that would come closest to a Rickenbacker 360/12 sound wise?
Old 11-15-2020, 02:13 AM

The Rickenbacker sound is strongly dictated by the fact that the octave strings are reversed compared to other makes...... maybe google "fakenbacker" to find (illegal) clones, or stump out quite a bit of cash to change the nut and bridge arrangements on another make.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:19 AM

If you have a Vox-sounding amp this one cops the essential jangle, as well as a definite Mike Nesmith period visual vibe - changing the nut is up to you:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar

Old 11-15-2020, 11:07 AM

I remain a huge fan of the Roger McGuinn/Byrds electric 12-string sound from The Sixties. The key part of getting that timbre is compression*, and lots of it. There are other cool sounds available from electric 12-strings too, but that's the one I use the most.

Getting nearly 20 years ago I bought this electric 12-string from the ill-fated "DeArmond" line where Fender tried to produce a quality Korean-made line that referenced Sixties Guild models. When they stopped that effort a bunch of them were closed out at incredible prices, and they still show up used on those sites like Reverb and the like. While it's a solid body, the single coil DeArmond pickups are just as important to the sound as body type.

The main negative is that this guitar has that SG "neck dive" thing and more tuning machines and a longer headstock doesn't help that, but a non-slippery strap mitigates that. I find it fairly easy to get around the conventional location of the octave strings by up-stroking with my pick. For example in "The Listeners" below, you can clearly hear notes were I'm emphasizing the non-octave string for some of the lead lines.

Here are two examples of this guitar in a band setting, the first a more modern sound:

Emily Dickinson's Snow

And an out-and-out imitation (with love and admiration!) of the McGuinn/Byrds lead sound.

The Listeners

*For those wanting Byrds style compression in a stomp box, the Janglebox will get you there, and I also find my older Janglebox is also good for more experimental electric 6 string feedback generation too. I forget what I used on "Snow" above, but with "The Listeners" I used software plugins in Logic Pro to get that level of compression.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-15-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
What would be a more modestly priced 12 string electric that would come closest to a Rickenbacker 360/12 sound wise?
In addition to the excellent suggestions so far, you might want to take a look at Danelectro’s offerings.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-15-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

The Danalectro is actually a pretty good 12 string at a very reasonable price. The Gretsch is also very good, but about twice the price.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
In addition to the excellent suggestions so far, you might want to take a look at Danelectro’s offerings.
Agree with eatswodo, the Dano 12 is a killer deal...
I tracked a bunch of songs on my band's last album with it and it sounds real good.

I have this one in black https://www.guitarcenter.com/Danelec...tric-Guitar.gc
Old 11-15-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
...The Gretsch is also very good, but about twice the price.
- and, if you've ever had the pleasure of playing one through an AC30, worth every penny...

Today's bit of Gretsch apocryphal lore: The prototype Gretsch 6076 12-string hollowbody was produced in late-1964/early-1965, on a 17" Viking full-hollowbody platform, and said to have been initially offered to George Harrison (who turned it down) as a potential endorsement model; although there is little concrete evidence six decades on, the presence of the Rick-style triangle inlays on a familiar-feeling design (along with the concurrent production of the cats' eye 6117 - which also combined Rick and Gretsch features, and which too was likely conceived by Gretsch as a Beatles endorsement model) would tend to lend some credence to the story. It eventually found its way into the hands of Mike Nesmith (with whom it would be forever associated) sometime in mid/late 1966, and while a rare bird in any form the 17" blonde (they were also available in sunburst as the 6075, as well as a slightly less rare 16" version upon which the current FSR model above was based) is the Holy Grail of the lineup. Several iterations would appear during the Fender period - some with the authentic triangle inlays and full-hollow/large f-hole body, some merely as a blonde variation on the then-current Country Gent platform, and the highly-affordable Korean-made FSR...
Old 11-16-2020, 08:41 AM

D'Angelico makes a 335-style that's pretty nice. I've seen them on sale at GC for $700-ish. Worth a look.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:09 PM

Thank you all for the replies!
Old 11-16-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
The Rickenbacker sound is strongly dictated by the fact that the octave strings are reversed compared to other makes...... maybe google "fakenbacker" to find (illegal) clones, or stump out quite a bit of cash to change the nut and bridge arrangements on another make.
Please don't misunderstand: I wasn't looking for a knock off version. I simply was asking if there was something less than than the current $3500.00 Rickenbacker price tag that could get me close to that sound. At the present time I can't justify paying that much for just one guitar.

Last edited by Cecil6243; 11-16-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:29 AM

7ender Electric XII, like one of these (pictured below) I've played a few years ago against a few Ricks, mostly '60s era models.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:26 AM

A used Rickenbacker 660/12. I couldn't play my 360/12 because the neck was just too small and very narrow. I think I bought my 660/12 with the wider fingerboard in mint condition from Chicago Music Exchange for $1100.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:39 PM

IIRC, the model 1993 Plus (or, something like that)has the wider neck on it, too.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

A timely thread for me...

I just picked up a Danelectro 59x12 a couple of weeks ago. A very fine guitar and a lot of fun.

However, I found that if you are looking for the Rickenbacker sound, you need a Rickenbacker. I bit the bullet and have placed an order for a 360/12, the George Harrison model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars