The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 12:08 PM

I have discovered that having a little power bank handy is always a good idea!
Old 11-23-2020, 12:33 PM

I use mine for shows, but it really earns its keep by being a great way to learn new songs. I have numerous set lists of about 30 songs, but then I have one called "new songs". Here is where I upload songs I want to perfect. It has about 60 songs in it. Eventually they get dropped from this as I can do them perfectly without looking at it. I use unrealBook app. Free, but works great. Easy to upload songs from Google Drive or from DropBox. Easy to share set lists with bandmates. A page flip pedal is great.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I use the same one also. It fits my 12.9 inch iPad Pro in a UAG case and also works for my Microsoft Surface Pro. The screw clamp is a marvel of German engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
This one has been working great for me so far:

K&M 19742 Universal Tablet Holder

The version I've got actually uses a screw clamp rather than a threaded mount, which means I don't have to devote a separate mic stand to it. The threaded version might be a tick more stable, though the screw clamp on mine seems very sturdy and grips firmly. The combination of spring clamp and adjustable side arm holds the iPad in a very tight, solid way. I can lift the stand and carry it around with the holder and iPad attached without worrying.

EDIT: Ha -- looks like Coop47 and I posted the same unit at the same time.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 11-23-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
I am wondering how many players out there use an iPad during live performances??

…Unfortunately my old eyes have ventured into the 12.9" iPad territory. If there are any of you that use an iPad (especially the bigger version) what do you use as far as mounting it to the mic stand? I want to be able to leave it in the case if possible if I decide to use it from time to time. Thoughts? Suggestions? How do you feel about seeing an iPad on stage?
Hi imsharris

I've owned 5 iPads and all have served to hold music charts.

My current is an iPad Pro 12.9" (I'm 72 yrs old and my eyes verify it). I'm currently using the holder below (and have for 2½ yrs without issue).

iPad/Tablet holder for music stands…CliCk

Very secure. It rotates by friction but is still holding solid at any position I set it after 2½ yrs of use. It clamps to my mic stand. It is plastic, but very rugged plastic. It's not at all fragile.

I don't care if people here cannot visualize Springsteen using an iPad, it works great for those of us who are either in what I call a disposable music environment where we burn through dozens of songs a year (like a Worship Team at a church), or are players who have collected hundreds of songs for decades and it's a challenge to remember all the lyrics.

With the current quick turnover environment of apps, the app OnSong is probably the most supported display app available. Far beyond the needs of the average player, but even if you drop the fee to get into it, it's likely to be supported 10 years from now. It's like PhotoShop for songs.

A lighter version of a song reader is unrealBook. Both have been around since at least 2010 (the year iPads were introduced).

Both of these apps (as well as ForScore mentioned below) are paid apps, which is WHY THEY ARE STILL BEING SUPPORTED AND STILL WORK WELL.

If you are not reading musical scores and merely need an app to display charts OnSong or unrealBook are both actively supported and kept current with iOS updates. And both their support departments respond readily to inquiries.

If you are reading formal scored music, then ForScore is the app you'd want, as you can set up scores and as you advance through the song, it can do repeats, D.C. al coda, endings etc. But it is for classical players.

The biggest challenge is where to store the songs, and how easy is it to load and setup lists of songs for playing live. OnSong and unrealBook both can access files from the cloud and/or GoogleDrive, or DropBox.

All of them have a learning curve, and you do need to get your song sheets or files into the right format to work in the apps.

Hope this adds to the discussion

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-23-2020 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 11-23-2020, 03:53 PM

Thank you guys so much! This is exactly the discussion I am looking for! I use my iPad weekly for charts and music when playing at church but never use it if I am doing something solo live. I want to change that because like was said, I have a TON of songs rattling around in my brain from years of playing but the lyrics and that random chord are not always saved there with them! Hahaha!
Old 11-23-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link or model you could share? It is kind of funny because "old-school" players that have been around forever notice the iPad and younger guns just see it as another stage necessity like pedals, a tuner, or amp! Yep, my age is showing. Hahaha! It really helps me in keeping a setlist. I am HORRIBLE about just having a list of say 60 songs and just jumping around all over the list. My brother is a drummer and it drives him nuts. (Come to think of it, that may be why I do it!) But having a list really helps with continuity and a smooth performance.
Try this one from amazon ...similar to mine that I bought a bazillion years ago. I use the smaller version:
Stagg MUS-ARM 2 Large Music Stand with Attachable Holder Arm,Black

The reason I like these style holders is that my ipad is in a heavy duty otterbox, and this style is more like a shelf that is not unit specific, so you can use it for a small tablet, a 12” iPad, or anything you care to put on it. I prefer this versatility, personally.

And yes, I totally get the bunch of songs rattling around in my head thing ...sometimes all I need is that first word to remind me of that 4th verse...you’re not alone, lol!!!

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 11-23-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

When I got thrown into gigging with a new band and didn't have all the lyrics and changes down yet, I mounted my iPad about a foot off the ground in front of my vocal mic stand using a low mic stand (like for miking drums). I would make a slide deck with a few reminders for myself for each song (e.g., first word of a line to cue me, chord changes I would forget etc); just enough to get me through any rough patches. This also served as my setlist since I'd put the songs in order. Then I'd put the iPad into presentation mode and change slides between songs using a bluetooth pedal.

The act of making the notes served as studying/practice such that I hardly ever needed them. But it was reassuring to know I could peak down if I got stuck.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:20 PM

Since Summer, I've used 4Score. That means no gigs yet. So far I am very happy to have everything at my fingertips, and I do mean everything. That's what I did with my summer, put 2700+ songs in there. It was a very long and excruciating process. (28 steps per song! Multiply that out.) Toward the end I discovered a quicker way, better late than never. Many songs are in several categories; I use 45 different what I call "genres" to keep things better organized, so if we are playing blues tonight, I don't have to leaf through 2500 non-blues songs.

Right now, it sits on my music stand, just like the 3 ring binders did before. At 12.9", it is heavier than my music stand likes. I used to keep my stand low and nearly horizontal so the audience could see me, my guitar, and all nearly as unobstructed as if there was no stand in the way. With the iPad, I need to keep it closer to vertical, but can still keep it low - all the lyrics are in 14 point type. Maybe I'll need to use a heavier stand. Or perhaps for gigs, just the songs on the set list, on paper, which weighs nearly nothing.

But for rehearsals, for jams and song circles, it's the nuts.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:30 PM

leew and me both use IPads loaded with “OnSong” software for our live performances. There are many different holders available to use with microphone stands so that’s pretty easy.
As far as whether it’s “ professional” or not...we don’t care and nobody else seems to either. Even if they did, we still don’t care.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-23-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Many pros use teleprompters. The Boss is one of them.
First, a teleprompter isn't an iPad. Second, Springsteen has been critiqued for needing a teleprompter. Check out this column from the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...GlS_story.html

Bottom line here: it detracts from the performance if listeners are aware that you're reading the lyrics. We want to think you're singing from the heart, but that's a tough rhetoric to sell if it shows that you haven't at least memorized the lyrics.

People understand the need for a set list. For decades I've taped my set list to the top of my guitar on an index card. I might even include the key, as in "Kumbaya -- C maj." But you're not going to catch me looking at an iPad to remember that the third verse is "Someone's crying, Lord." Hard to sell the tears at that point.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:57 PM

I use an IPAD mini because it fits under the headstock in my guitar case. I have a Hercules guitar stand and I bought a mount from Guitar Center that was specific for my IPAD. I finished it off with a beer holder from a friend’s Harley. I play in a bluegrass club on an army base. Every now and then we get on opportunity to play at bbq etc. It sure is nice to have some previous set lists to just open up and play when that happens.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:41 PM

Default To iPad, or not to iPad...how do you do it?

Quote:
Do you have a link or model you could share? It is kind of funny because "old-school" players that have been around forever notice the iPad and younger guns just see it as another stage necessity like pedals, a tuner, or amp! Yep, my age is showing. Hahaha! It really helps me in keeping a setlist. I am HORRIBLE about just having a list of say 60 songs and just jumping around all over the list. My brother is a drummer and it drives him nuts. (Come to think of it, that may be why I do it!) But having a list really helps with continuity and a smooth performance.

I have seen and tried many types of holders. I use a Proline now and it’s the best I’ve seen either mounts on top of mic stand or clips on a boom.
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 11-24-2020, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

I use the Airturn Manos with my 12.9” Ipad Pro in a wrap around cover case that also holds my apple pencil without a problem. I have tried repeatedly to memorize an entire set-list, but can’t do it. I also like being able to pull up a song that we may not have intended to play, but just seems right at the moment. And if we need to transpose for a “guest” vocalist, so much easier.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:53 AM

OnSong os the only reason I still have an iPad.
Meanwhile I think they should offer a light version without midi, lightshows or other gimmicks. Also I don‘t like their new monthly/yearly payment system.
Otherwise OnSong is incredibly nice and nothing compares.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-24-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
First, a teleprompter isn't an iPad. Second, Springsteen has been critiqued for needing a teleprompter. Check out this column from the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...GlS_story.html

Bottom line here: it detracts from the performance if listeners are aware that you're reading the lyrics. We want to think you're singing from the heart, but that's a tough rhetoric to sell if it shows that you haven't at least memorized the lyrics.

People understand the need for a set list. For decades I've taped my set list to the top of my guitar on an index card. I might even include the key, as in "Kumbaya -- C maj." But you're not going to catch me looking at an iPad to remember that the third verse is "Someone's crying, Lord." Hard to sell the tears at that point.
If you’re good enough at it like we are you can still “sell the song”.
Yes and we’re humble too.
Anyway, I’m glad you are capable of remembering all the lyrics and chords to over 120 songs because that’s what our library consists of.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 11-24-2020 at 07:19 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion