The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-05-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Here's your first complaint -> I don't have one! Does that count?

Yes, but I don’t have an X30, so we’re even.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:29 AM

Thanks Tony, for your feedback. And also to the rest who chimed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I am not a guitar builder or repair person, so I can only repeat what I have read on some of your questions. I use Elixir HD Light strings:

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/elhdacst.html

These are a combination of light gauge bass strings and medium gauge higher strings. They are apparently what Taylor now ships on their guitars and I like them.

The EVO frets are said to be almost as tough as stainless steel, so I have non long term concerns.

McPherson necks are known to be very stable. You can read about them on their site. I saw a video about this on youtube and one of the guys from McPherson was asked about the truss rod. The Sable has one and it is hard steel so I doubt the neck will shift. I have not experienced any neck shift. My Sable is just like a well set up Taylor. I own a couple of high end Taylors and this has been my experience.

In my experience, having owned at one time a McPherson wood guitar, and now the Sable and Touring, the quality is excellent and they pay attention to the little details that I often see overlooked in some other maker's guitars - the little fit and finish things that make for a perfectly built instrument.

Since I have yet to play one of the newer Emerald guitars, I can't give my opinion of any comparison. I am happy with my McPhersons and therefore am no longer in the market for more guitars.

Tony
Old 03-06-2020, 10:48 PM

Just to keep this thread up to date, I swapped out the factory Element pickup for the Anthem SL and found it to be a worthwhile change. I’ll post more after this weekend’s adventures.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Just to keep this thread up to date, I swapped out the factory Element pickup for the Anthem SL and found it to be a worthwhile change. I’ll post more after this weekend’s adventures.
I did the same.

The tone is much nicer, but the Anthem picks up any handling noise from the back of the guitar very easily. I think the coarse texture makes it worse.

I'm thinking about switching to a Schatten HFN pickup instead.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Default NGD: McPherson Sable: First Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungWoo View Post
I did the same.

The tone is much nicer, but the Anthem picks up any handling noise from the back of the guitar very easily. I think the coarse texture makes it worse.

I'm thinking about switching to a Schatten HFN pickup instead.

Did you try reducing the sensitivity (gain) of the mic?

Also, which tuner are you using? I was going to cut down one of the D’Adarrio sound hole tuners and install inside the sound hole.

I removed the plastic casing from the Anthem controls and located it inside the sound hole and it looks clean.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:16 PM

Hi Guys....how did you attach the tuner and which tuner did you use? I have the small clip on one as well as the sound hole one. Did you attach with velcro or something more permanent? Nice look!!

Thanks!!
Old 03-09-2020, 08:51 PM

I belt sand the tuner flat and use 3M Command strips. In my case I prefer the back of the headstock.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-09-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I haven’t heard a single complaint about these McPherson carbon fiber guitars. Thanks for sharing!
I thought about buying one when they were changing the name on the headstock, but I found the guitar to be pretty heavy. I probably should have made the purchase.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:34 AM

Default NGD: McPherson Sable: First Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I thought about buying one when they were changing the name on the headstock, but I found the guitar to be pretty heavy. I probably should have made the purchase.

I think all the McPherson guitars are heavy. They build them very differently than a traditional guitar. But, in this case, heavy doesn’t mean overbuilt. A lot of the weight appears to be in the neck and body joint design. The top is very responsive. The weight is balanced across the length of the instrument. It doesn’t dip when you hold it. It’s only picking it up for the first time that seems strange. And, yes, it did feel strange to me too.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I belt sand the tuner flat and use 3M Command strips. In my case I prefer the back of the headstock.

Thanks!!!! Nicely done!! I was disappointed that my in soundhole tuner did not just clamp on due to the sound hole lip. will give the command strips a shot.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I think all the McPherson guitars are heavy. They build them very differently than a traditional guitar. But, in this case, heavy doesn’t mean overbuilt. A lot of the weight appears to be in the neck and body joint design. The top is very responsive. The weight is balanced across the length of the instrument. It doesn’t dip when you hold it. It’s only picking it up for the first time that seems strange. And, yes, it did feel strange to me too.
The designer of CA who consulted with McPherson on their new instruments, is using a very thin braced top on his CA designs which is analogous to a wooden guitar without a top radius (unlike a RainSong which is unbraced). It is light and even more responsive without the stiffening of curvature.

However, the backs and sides of CAs and I presume McPhersons, is a process where the epoxy is added separately from the CF fabric (RainSong uses pre-impregnated with epoxy CF fabric). This uses more epoxy and is heavier. But from an acoustics soundpoint a perfectly valid choice that might add a pound or so to the final product.

Jon Fields
Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 AM
Guest 928

In for a penny, in for a pound.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
In for a penny, in for a pound.
If I could be in for a penny, I would have way more than one Sable!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-10-2020, 11:36 PM

After several Composite Acoustics Cargos, a CA OX and an Emerald Chimaera, I’m now on my 2nd McPherson Touring, this one with satin nickel tuners and EVO frets. Awesome little guitar and I’m very pleased with the Element pickup, which has great string to string balance, which I really struggled with on the Cargos.

I’ve also sent my RainSong WS1000N2 in for a Stainless Steel Refret (Aperio Guitars / suburban Atlanta) and awaiting its return.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55tele View Post
I’ve also sent my RainSong WS1000N2 in for a Stainless Steel Refret (Aperio Guitars / suburban Atlanta) and awaiting its return.
Not many luthiers in eastern PA or NJ do SS. I decided to send my beater to guys I knew first hand and get EVO. Usually within a week or two I can see marks on the frets under at least the B-string. So far at 6 weeks in they are still perfect. I plan to post some pictures at 6 months. I'm hoping EVO is hard enough to be lifetime frets.

The guy who did the fret job reported that when snipping the EVO fret ends they shot across his shop like something he's never seen before. So I've got to conclude they decided to say no to SS, but have not done much EVO if any, prior to my guitar. This shop is all former Martin staff and I guess it helped that Martin is now using EVO on their Modern Deluxe series.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-11-2020 at 06:10 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber