The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)

Old 09-30-2019, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Kalamazoo KG-14 and Martin CEO-7 (currently in Paris, France)

Something old and something new(ish) here...

Description
First up is my Kalamazoo KG-14. I believe this is a 1938 model. It's an absolutely awesome little blues box. When I bought it from Glenn (of Glenn's Guitars fame; great guy) in 2015, I was lucky enough to have the pick of no less than four KG-14s! This one was not only the cleanest of the bunch by far, it was also the most structurally secure, with only a professionally-repaired hairline crack from the sound hole to the end of the fretboard (see photos).

So, condition-wise, the guitar is clean for its age. There is some capo rash on the back of the neck which doesn't affect playability. And lots of lovely crackling in the nitro finish (/ "mojo" as some would say). Although many of these KG-14s were modified to have x-bracing, this one is still ladder-braced and thus retains that characteristic early blues honk. 1 3/4" nut width, 24 3/4" scale length, medium V neck profile. It has had a professional neck set and refret. As a result the action is very good, and it keeps in tune very well. Currently strung with Martin retro custom lights (11-52) and comes with a battered old hard case (inc. broken handle).

Price + delivery
€1750 / 1500. Delivery options TBD: I am based in Paris, France, and would need to source a good replacement hard case to ship. I would only ship if insured to full value, which looks to be around €70 / 60. Alternatively, I drive back to the UK semi-regularly and have successfully dropped off a few guitars this way.

Photos + video
Here she is being put through her paces some years ago (I have a much lighter touch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbbL2F9aLU

Hairline crack between A and D strings:

More photos of both guitars here: https://imgur.com/a/5V8rZNm

Description
Next up is the modern-day version, my Martin CEO-7. I imported this in summer 2014 from My Favorite Guitars, who back then were based in Florida. It was one of the first CEO-7s in the UK (very low serial number - the 524th one ever made!). Sadly this one has turned out to be a bit of a "case queen" as I could never bring myself to gig it. Importantly, this guitar has genuine (and beautiful) mahogany back and sides - a quick Google will tell you all you need to know about Martin's switch to sipo (Entandrophragma utile) in late 2014 due to the scarcity of Honduran mahogany. Newer CEO-7s are made with sipo back/sides which looks different (some would say worse).

Sound-wise this is an absolute monster of an 00: adirondack top, scalloped bracing, very thin finish, unmistakably Martin in tone but with a sweet Gibson-esque 24.9" scale length. To my knowledge it is the only CEO model they have kept in full production, these are enormously popular little blues machines. 1 3/4" nut width.

Condition-wise the guitar has three marks which I have tried to capture in the photos: (1) a small scratch below the D string tuner; (2) a very faint mark on the upper bout which you can only see in certain light (and was there when I got the guitar); (3) a mark in the finish on the back, possibly from a stand, I don't know - but it can be seen in certain lighting. I am very picky about condition descriptions!

Currently strung with Martin Titanium Core lights (12-55). Comes with original Martin hard case, wine red interior, in excellent condition.

Price + delivery
I am looking for €2135 / 1850 ONO. Delivery options TBD: I am based in Paris, France, and would be willing to ship insured to full value, which looks to be around €70 / 60. Alternatively, I drive back to the UK semi-regularly and have successfully dropped off a few guitars this way.

Photos

Mark on back:

Mark on upper bout (very hard to see):

Scratch on headstock (below D tuner):

Original images from My Favorite Guitars:

More photos of both guitars here: https://imgur.com/a/5V8rZNm

Please get in touch via PM if you have any questions. I'm more than happy to discuss the guitars' provenance, or delivery options, etc.

On the off-chance anyone reading this is in Paris, you are welcome to stop by and play these over a coffee/baguette...

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 10-29-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: imbed video
Old 10-25-2019, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

Lowered price for the CEO-7.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)