The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-29-2006, 07:01 AM

Unhappy Lost All My Songs

My secondary hard drive crashed yesterday. I used it as my storage drive to keep all my songs and pictures on figuring it would be the least likely to crash. But... would'nt ya know it... It crashed...

I lost every song that i have ever recorded, and all the words to the songs i have written...

I guess i have to re-type all my songs, and re-record them all. I know i should have backed them up in more than one place, and luckily i had most of my pictures backed up on my external drive. I have over 10,000 photo's, and they can not be re-shot. Thank GOD i atleast had the photo's backed up...

Anyway... I guess i have some work to do... And back up...
Old 10-29-2006, 07:15 AM

OMG! I haven't done a back-up in months!
I know what I'm going to be doing this afternoon !!

Dave
Old 10-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

That stinks Bob. You are going to be busy for a while. Why don't you join Soundclick. At least this way your songs would be stored there just in case.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-29-2006, 08:58 AM

Sorry to hear that Bob. All may not be lost though. I had a similar experience with a crashed computer. I hadn't backed up photos since my daughters wedding and thought those pics were gone. A local computer guru was able to save individual files. The programs were gone but he was able to save my pics and tablature files.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:15 AM

Default For the Future

Hey Bob!

Man, I've had that happen to me twice now. And while the advice I'm about to give you is advice I personally never seem to follow, it's still good advice: Get a DVD-R drive, and back that puppy up.

Somone also suggested having the crashed drive read, and I think that's a great idea. I suspect it's expensive, though. Let us know what happenes...

Joe
Old 10-29-2006, 10:06 AM

Bob,

Sorry to hear the bad news...but let me also suggest you call around to see if someone may be able to extract the data from the drive. It may save you a lot of extra work and keep your original stuff in tact. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:44 PM

Suggest you also, once you've recovered the data and for all future songs, make a taped or CD-R copy and write down the lyrics and chord changes. That (and the joy of using a good fountain pen) is why I don't compose songs on my computer--I only type them in once written in longhand.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:51 PM

That's horrible... I had that happen in the studio last year with a hard drive I had recorded everything on, lost all the protools sessions, it sucks. And it was a Lacie hard drive, you pay more money for those things so that kind of stuff does not happen. Not sure if you can afford it, but you can take it to like Best Buy and they will get your stuff off of it, it will just cost you. Just something to keep in mind if you can afford to do it. Sorry, hope you can figure something out.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 AM

All the data should be recoverable. Might cost a few pounds/euros/dollars but it will be worth it. I backed-up my audio drive a week ago. There's already several hours hard work written to it since then.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:10 PM

yikes, sorry to hear that. I usually back up stuff that cannot be re-installed (documents, pictures and other personal files) to a DVD at least twice a month.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Thanks Everyone

I have allways built all my own computers from scratch. I bought the drive because it was cheap. It was a "Maxtor" drive. I usually get "Seagate" or "Western Digital" drives, and have never had one do this before.

I tried to recover it with no luck, so i reformatted it, and allthough it seemed to work properly... my intel hardware monitor still picked up a problem with it, so it's toast now.

It's not that big of a deal loosing the songs as i've been meaning to re-record them anyway, but i will start backing up to DVD/CD in the future.

Thanks everyone...
Old 10-30-2006, 11:00 PM

I also build systems, so IF you are set to redo the songs, then this idea is worth a try, it is 50/50 that it will work, but it has on the 10 or so times I tried it....

Put the HDD in a ZipLoc bag, and make sure all the air is out of it. Then place it in the freezer for 15min to an hour, pull it out, make sure it is dry, and plug it in, a try to grab the info. This has worked for me on drives that I have had the system not recognize, as well as ones that just read every now and then.

DISCLAIMER! I am not responsible if anything goes wrong if anyone tries this! It has worked for me, and a few others I know, but YMMV!
TTM-KAE

"Whether you have good taste or not depends on how many people agree with you" - George Martin
Old 11-01-2006, 07:11 PM

Bob:

I am a software geek by trade. Hi-tail it to a reputable computer repair store and they should be able to get your info off. I'll also ask my husband when he gets home since he's a hardware geek and might have some tricks up his sleeve. What are your exact symptoms? Do you hear it spin but it won't recognize? Does it not even spin? Tell me what noises you hear (if any) and any error messages you get on screen.

Linda

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell