The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-13-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Default What is the best way to sell a used car now?

In my area, Auto and RV magazine used to be the bomb...I'd email photos and list a car and my phone would ring off the hook. I'd have it sold in 3 days. Haven't sold a car in 15 years. Things have changed. Do people even use these little magazines anymore or has it all gone to CL? Have not had good luck with CL with guitars so not excited about it (too many lowballers).

'79 Yamaha CJ-838S, '03 Martin D-41, '03 Taylor 600 SPEC, '99 Taylor 714, '08 Gibson J45R, '01 G & L Legacy
Old 07-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Musical minimalist

I put my 2016 Accord on Craigslist and a couple local Facebook "yard sale" sites and sold it in less than a week. Of course I took a ton of time with the description and priced it between KBB and Edmunds values. I live in a town of only 40k but have two towns that are a little bigger within 20 miles. I sold it to a guy 20 miles away.

In regard to lowballers, just don't even reply - I didn't.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

I found myself in your position when I had to sell my mom's car. I went with Craig's list. It wasn't all that user friendly but I ended up getting the car sold.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-14-2018, 06:42 AM
G625 mistral-k

I have used both AutoTrader and CL, listed in both, and had success selling in both. Do the research, know the value of your vehicle, and politely pass on the low ball offers. I had individual and his Uncle low ball me with an offer, which I passed on. I politely advised them to do the research I had done. Eventually, they called back and made a very fair offer and I sold them the car.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:01 AM

Selling a used car these days ain't what it used to be. CL and EBay are ripe with scams when it comes to selling an auto.

If you plan on buying new consider trading yours in, but do research on it's value first. A dealer will certainly offer less than retail, but you'd make up part of the difference in sales tax savings, plus you won't have the hassle of strangers visiting you or calling at all hours of the day.

If you plan on selling outright, visit Autotrader.com and Cars.com. You can establish (to a degree) what the market value is in your area, and then list your car for sale accordingly. Those two websites generate a lot of viewer traffic and tend to attract the more serious buyers.

Here's a helpful hint....and it works:

Before you list the car, spend a weekend detailing the snot out of it. I'm not talking just a quick wash. Clean the engine bay, vac and shampoo the interior, clean door and trunk jambs, and clean/restore any faded flat black trim. And don't forget to de-grease the wheels and clean and dress the tires.

You probably won't add much value, but a well detailed car will turn heads and it'll sell more quickly.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I've used Craigslist for more generic cars and Autotrader when I sold my Mazda MX5. My vote goes to Craigslist since that's where the buyer of my Mazda ultimately saw it, and Autotrader only produced a bunch of long distance "shoppers" bargaining for bottom dollar. At least with Craigslist, you've got local people trying to get the best price. One prospective Autotrader buyer backed out because I wouldn't drive the Miata several hundred miles to meet him...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-14-2018, 07:20 AM

I've done CL for a common car, eBay for a rare car, and trade-in when the value is so low that I didn't feel like dealing with selling it. All of those worked well for me.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:39 AM

Put a sign in the windows and drive it around. Put in the local newspaper on-line classifieds. Put it on Craigslist. Put it on Next Door......all the above.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:58 AM

We had a VW Golf to sell, very good condition. I took a flattering photo of the car and typed up a detailed description of it. Placed it on the bulletin board at the fitness centre I attend and the first person who replied purchased it. Gone in less than a week.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 07-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I don't like CL. Too risky for a diminutive female. I have sold two cars to Carmax and have had very good experience. Sure I didn't get as much as I might have outright, but it's easy breezy, no hassle, no haggle, solid offer.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I don't like CL. Too risky for a diminutive female. I have sold two cars to Carmax and have had very good experience. Sure I didn't get as much as I might have outright, but it's easy breezy, no hassle, no haggle, solid offer.
In the future, check your local police station. Many allow CL sales in a safe environment. Even as a 6'2” male, I still only meet in public, safe places.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I've had the same experience.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:25 AM

I've always just parked my car on a busy street nearby with a FOR SALE sign in the windows. Always worked for me.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I've sold two cars on Craigslist. I priced both fairly using KBB. Both went quickly, with no problems, to appreciative buyers.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-15-2018, 11:55 AM

I recently sold a vehicle and listed it on CL, Autotrader, and our local community online forum. Autotrader was useless, as I never received an inquiry from any legitimate buyers (mostly calls from marketers and auto finance people). The vehicle ended up selling via the community forum, but I received many legitimate inquiries (some scammers as well) from CL. No more Autotrader for me!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic