The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2017, 09:29 AM

Default Wolfram Pro Nail Files

I ordered a Wolfram Pro Nail File. It came in a week ago and I couldn't be happier. David Browne is great to deal with. The file came in quickly and was well packaged.

I never would have thought I'd be raving about a nail file, but this is truly different and better than any I've tried. I used to try to maintain natural nails for guitar playing but my active lifestyle made that nearly impossible. I tried everything from nail hardeners to glue on extensions but nothing worked. Finally, I went to aLaska finger picks which are great, but still require some nail length to hold in place and I still ended up breaking nails.

After a week with the Wolfram file, I've had no nail problems at all. They work exactly as promised - if not better. I wish I'd found these years ago.

http://www.wolframslides.com/

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have been using the Wolfram glass files for well over a year now and my nails are definitely much healthier as a result. These files really reduce nail damage that can happen with other files that I have used. I am glad you are liking yours.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have been using the Wolfram glass files for well over a year now and my nails are definitely much healthier as a result. These files really reduce nail damage that can happen with other files that I have used. I am glad you are liking yours.

Best,
Jayne
Ditto what Jaymarsh says. I recently ordered another. One for home and one to keep with me when traveling or at a church gig. Hard to believe a nail file can be worthy of so much praise but, well, this is really that much better than any other file. I can file in both directions with no chipping or cracking. It leaves a nice, clean smooth edge on my nails.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 02-06-2017, 11:15 AM

I bought mine because I felt silly buying nail files at the store. I didn't really believe it would be noticeably different from other files, but I liked the idea of a file that would basically last forever.

I was so wrong. I'll never file my nails with anything else. Regular files can't touch the smooth, clean edge I get with my Wolfram.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey,

Thanks for sharing your impressions on the Precision : Crystal files - seeing this thread made my day!

Thanks so much for your support, and really glad the Wolfram magic is working for you!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I'll never file my nails with anything else. Regular files can't touch the smooth, clean edge I get with my Wolfram.
^ this.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-06-2017, 03:35 PM

They are wonderful indeed.
Too bad mine broke after 10 days.
I consequently came back to usual files and 800 abrasive paper.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 02-06-2017, 04:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
Hi Jean-Paul,

Really sorry to hear that - this is far from usual. Clearly being made from crystal glass they are not indestructible (though they are engineered to be the toughest glass file in the world) - but they should never break during use, and I guarantee the filing surface for life - it will never wear out.

I'll be in touch directly to find out what happened here and get you enjoying a Precision : Crystal file again.

Cheers,
David

wolframslides.com
Old 02-06-2017, 06:02 PM

I would have agree that they are great. As you gain more experience with them you can get the shape and profile you want quite quickly and my wife liked mine so much she bought one herself.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I got mine about a month ago. It's a really good product; a difference that is significant.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 02-06-2017, 09:11 PM

I like mine as well. I haven't been able to get the smoothest surface with little or no pressure using the Wolfram or the "sealed nail" they talk about. Maybe i just need to practice a bit. It still gets nails very smooth but I find I still benefit from buffing the nail with side 3 or 4 or the Hawaiian Nail file endorsed by Ed Gerard and others. If any helpful suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 AM

Lefty, try filing very quickly with the lightest possible feather-like touch. I get a nice smooth edge after I use heavier strokes to grind off most of what needs to be removed.

I have been pleased with my file, even though it seemed sort of an extraordinary expense at the time.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I have had my Crystal Pro for a little over a month and it has changed my nail maintenance incredibly. Effective for shaping and smoothing, my nails have never been in better shape. Hats off to Dave for producing such a stellar product. I'll never use anything else!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
I just wanted to say that I've spoken with Jean-Paul and confirmed that his Wolfram file was actually broken when bent in the back pocket of his jeans - as he reported in his earlier post here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=415472&page=6. Just to be clear, the file did not break during normal use - they're really not so fragile (our glass is double-hardened to make them the toughest glass files in the world), and I have many happy customers still using their files after several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty player View Post
I like mine as well. I haven't been able to get the smoothest surface with little or no pressure using the Wolfram or the "sealed nail" they talk about. Maybe i just need to practice a bit. It still gets nails very smooth but I find I still benefit from buffing the nail with side 3 or 4 or the Hawaiian Nail file endorsed by Ed Gerard and others. If any helpful suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Hi Lefty,

Which file have you got, the standard or the Pro? If it's the Pro, make sure you're using the fine surface (this is the one where the logo is the 'right way round') for finishing; the coarse one is a kind of hybrid between our fine surface and the sort of surface you'd find on a standard metal file, and is really intended for shortening and shaping of hard acrylic or other artificial nails.

It's difficult to equate Precision : Crystal with conventional grits because the surface works in a different way, but customers way more familiar with different grades of sandpapers than I am reckon it'll get down to the equivalent of around 2000 grit.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Cheers,
David

wolframslides.com
Old 02-07-2017, 08:07 AM

I'm strongly tempted. I play fingerstyle on nylon string guitars, so nail wear isn't a problem, but tone production is always desirable...

My wife sent for a couple of those "artsy" glass nail files (imprinted with the seller's artwork) saying.... "They're just as good.

They worked fine for a couple of weeks but then whatever the abrasive surface is composed of was gone.... Not a bargain at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion