The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 01:07 PM

Default Ovation Factory

Just went to the Ovation factory in New Hartford Conn. Great experience. Great people working there. Got a tour through the shop. They are doing some repairs for my friend and I who own 1980 Ovation Legends... under warranty as we are the original owners. My Ovation was my first love. Later in life I have owned other, some better, guitars but have always valued my old standby. Visiting the factory was like visiting a birthplace or something. Saw custom orders being filled and some others but it is obvious they are working with a skeleton crew of focused professionls and admit to struggling to make ends meet. They are putting out a line of American made moderately priced instruments that are high quality in the hopes of succeeding. So...if there is anyone out there who is thinking of buying an American made Ovation, nows the time. It would be a shame to see this unique guitar pass into obscurity.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:26 PM

Sounds pretty cool. Never been a huge ovation fan personally but as long as the sound is there I ain’t got much of a problem with them. In general tho I think they could use with someone famous playing their guitars the way glen Campbell use to. Seems like their advertising is not existent too
Old 07-18-2018, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I grew up about 10 miles from there, in West Hartford, CT and this post made me homesick!!

Glad you got to go see it!

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 07-18-2018, 02:15 PM

What a great experience to go there.

It is very sad that things got reduced to an that small of a crew.

Though I've always liked Ovation guitars (USA made ones) and currently own one, I admit they are more of an "acquired taste."

Ovation, similar to composite/carbon fiber guitars, will always have a very small market. These types of non-traditional guitars do not appeal to the masses.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:34 PM

They were making custom instruments today for Kaki King and Sonny Landreth...hope they are putting in a plug for the guys at Ovation.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
They were making custom instruments today for Kaki King and Sonny Landreth...hope they are putting in a plug for the guys at Ovation.
Kaki King has been playing Ovation guitars since the very beginning of her career. She has certainly promoted the Ovation name quite consistently over the years. I went to one of her shows when she first starting touring and got her to sign one of my guitars
Old 07-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I believe there are more than a few "names" using Ovations: Melissa Etheridge, Steve Lukather, Al DiMeola all have been endorsers in addition to the aforementioned Kaki King. But for the most part, Ovation does not have a significant number of high profile players. And, more significantly, I have not seen any high end Ovations in shops for decades. You generally see, if you see any Ovations at all, the low end beginner models; and that has become the market Ovation is most associated with in the perception of the average guitarist.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
I grew up about 10 miles from there, in West Hartford, CT and this post made me homesick!!
I am about ten miles from there myself. I have a guitar that came out of that factory, though it is not an Ovation. They did great work there, and I have little doubt they still do.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 PM

Grew up a little ways south, and one of my first instruments was purchased there. Good instruments, though my preferences have shifted elsewhere.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I believe there are more than a few "names" using Ovations: Melissa Etheridge, Steve Lukather, Al DiMeola all have been endorsers in addition to the aforementioned Kaki King. But for the most part, Ovation does not have a significant number of high profile players. And, more significantly, I have not seen any high end Ovations in shops for decades. You generally see, if you see any Ovations at all, the low end beginner models; and that has become the market Ovation is most associated with in the perception of the average guitarist.
This is so true. Many people making negative comments about Ovation guitars most likely base their opinions on the Applause and Celebrity models they tried at guitar center. No wonder why so much hate lol.

It would be like saying all gibson guitars suck when you only play a $200 epiphone les paul at guitar center poorly setup that has been abused by hundreds of customers.

High end Ovations are fantastic instruments. Those guys at the custom shop really set instruments very well. I’m glad to hear they are still making some of the high end USA made models.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:33 AM

Yes for sure...the Ovations that are hanging on the wall at guitar Center are the low cost crappy Korean guitars...bad advertising for sure. I purchased an Ovation Legend without electronics in 1980 (many were sold without electronics back then) When I bought it, it was comparable to Gibson and Martin but at a much better price. They are however prone to top cracks due to the lyrachord bowl that does not move where the spruce top does. As I found out they make only solid top guitars in Conn. and will honor original owner warranties and do great repairs on top cracks.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 AM

The guys at the factory are the BEST! It's a shame so few of them are left.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 AM

I suspect many Ovation guitars had issues because of not being properly humidified. I personally knew guys that thought Ovation guitars didn’t need any maintenance because of the bowl - assuming they were like a Rainsong or other composite guitars.

My Ovation Legend has never needed a truss rod adjustment. It is the most stable neck I’ve had in any guitar. The relief has never changed! The fret work and setup at the factory was just perfect. Those guys really know how to build guitars.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 PM

Was there any word that they will be moving to a new and modern facility in Tennessee soon?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:41 PM

They need to get one in the hands of Ed SheerHan or something...

Unfortunately the only people who play Ovations these days can, y'know...play. Nobody likes that anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion