The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-18-2018, 02:08 PM

Default Made my first guitar lesson. Share your feedback!

Hope you like it!

Sincerely, Adam

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-18-2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Fixed video
Old 07-19-2018, 12:38 AM

The good:

Excellent lighting, graphics, and pace. You speak clearly and are to the point.

What could be improved:

1. Relate the barre chord shapes to common beginner open chords so the player sees a connection to something he/she may already know.

2. Be clear about where you are putting your fingers. Someone new to them would probably have a difficult time seeing which strings you're pressing with your fingers as your guitar is at an angle to the camera.

3. A guitar with fret markers/dots would help know which frets you are playing with the player doesn't know the names of the notes.

4. That contrast between playing the open chords and barres really doesn't some how barres are more interesting in my opinion. For example. maybe elaborate on how using barres allows you to immediately stop the sound and how that can be helpful in some genres like reggae, etc versus trying to play reggae with open chord strumming.

5. Drink a little water to avoid smacking lips and mouth noises.

Last edited by Jusca; 07-19-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:38 AM

Hi Adam -

That’s a wonderful first lesson. What I particularly liked was the subject matter and title. Beginners are likely not ready to grasp the concepts of movable chords and chord construction, but they can understand bass notes. Plus, everyone wants their music to sound more interesting. The video and sound were excellent. The length of the lesson was good. My only suggestion would be to add in a song to learn at the end. I would put in a basic version and then embellish.

I did have to fix up your link. When you post a video to AGF, you have to strip out most of the YouTube URL. Here’s a primer: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...07&postcount=2

You can always preview the post by using the button at the lower right of the window.

Good work. Nice having you on the AGF!

All the best,

Rick
Old 07-26-2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusca View Post
The good:

Excellent lighting, graphics, and pace. You speak clearly and are to the point.

What could be improved:

1. Relate the barre chord shapes to common beginner open chords so the player sees a connection to something he/she may already know.

2. Be clear about where you are putting your fingers. Someone new to them would probably have a difficult time seeing which strings you're pressing with your fingers as your guitar is at an angle to the camera.

3. A guitar with fret markers/dots would help know which frets you are playing with the player doesn't know the names of the notes.

4. That contrast between playing the open chords and barres really doesn't some how barres are more interesting in my opinion. For example. maybe elaborate on how using barres allows you to immediately stop the sound and how that can be helpful in some genres like reggae, etc versus trying to play reggae with open chord strumming.

5. Drink a little water to avoid smacking lips and mouth noises.
Nice! This is wonderful feedback really! Thank you very much.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Hi Adam -

That’s a wonderful first lesson. What I particularly liked was the subject matter and title. Beginners are likely not ready to grasp the concepts of movable chords and chord construction, but they can understand bass notes. Plus, everyone wants their music to sound more interesting. The video and sound were excellent. The length of the lesson was good. My only suggestion would be to add in a song to learn at the end. I would put in a basic version and then embellish.

I did have to fix up your link. When you post a video to AGF, you have to strip out most of the YouTube URL. Here’s a primer: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...07&postcount=2

You can always preview the post by using the button at the lower right of the window.

Good work. Nice having you on the AGF!

All the best,

Rick
Thank you very much! Also great feedback, I feel like I want to do the same lesson again with all the improvements you suggested. Glad to hear that the concept I'm trying to explain is useful, even though I definitely could have been clearer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write