The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 08:30 PM

Default Taylor's saddle is not completely glued?

Hi guys,

i had heard that taylor's bridge is not fully glued, is that ture?

Last edited by Alejandro; 07-17-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 PM

That's not the saddle, that's the bridge. It's not unusual to be able to slide a piece of paper under the corner, but that looks a little excessive to me.
et al
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
That's not the saddle, that's the bridge. It's not unusual to be able to slide a piece of paper under the corner, but that looks a little excessive to me.
Yep, me, too...

Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Thx Rodger, such a mistake lol.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Taylor rabbets the bottom perimeter of their bridges (not very much, I think 1/16"). So the actual glue line is inset from the edge that you see. It really isn't that unusual to find a lot of guitars where the trailing corner isn't glued. The solution is just to observe it - if it gets worse then it's an issue but most likely, it won't.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Taylor rabbets the bottom perimeter of their bridges (not very much, I think 1/16"). So the actual glue line is inset from the edge that you see. It really isn't that unusual to find a lot of guitars where the trailing corner isn't glued. The solution is just to observe it - if it gets worse then it's an issue but most likely, it won't.
Thanks Simon!

And i think i will no longer worry about those 2 coners, LOL.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 PM

Yeah, monitor but don't stress...
Old 07-18-2018, 05:44 AM

I just sent a guitar back (not a Taylor) where the bridge had lifted a bit. For some reason, the glue didn’t take. The builder is fixing it up, so issues.

But I certainly would watch it and make sure it doesn’t change.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:02 AM

My Taylor has the same "issue" ... mainly under those protruding corners of the bridge. Mine is just as pronounced as yours. I believe it must be a common trait for Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
Thanks Simon!

And i think i will no longer worry about those 2 coners, LOL.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM

Judging by the color of that tusq saddle I am guessing that guitar is at least 20 years old, am I correct?

If so, there's no telling how it was taken care of over the life of it, humidity, etc and to blame it on Taylor is not fair. But their customer service is excellent and there's a chance they'll reglue it anyways.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I believe I read in an issue of Wood & Steel that Taylor doesn't glue down those corners of the bridge to allow the top some room to expand and contract a bit. I may have dreamed this but I don't think so. But yeah the advice to keep an eye on it but don't worry is good advice.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Judging by the color of that tusq saddle I am guessing that guitar is at least 20 years old, am I correct?

If so, there's no telling how it was taken care of over the life of it, humidity, etc and to blame it on Taylor is not fair. But their customer service is excellent and there's a chance they'll reglue it anyways.
It's hard to tell from the photo, but it doesn't even look like the shape of a current Taylor bridge. I don't know enough Taylor history, but my Taylor bridges sweep up more toward the pickguard than the OP's photo illustrates. Again, it could be the photo angle or Taylor used different bridges when this guitar was made.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
My Taylor has the same "issue" ... mainly under those protruding corners of the bridge. Mine is just as pronounced as yours. I believe it must be a common trait for Taylor.
Yes yes, and i found that a lot of people said they can find the corners are not glued
Old 07-18-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post

LOL ! it's just a 2012 taylor 714ce. Actually i do not know why my saddle gets yellow so quickly but i'm kind of love this tone.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I believe I read in an issue of Wood & Steel that Taylor doesn't glue down those corners of the bridge to allow the top some room to expand and contract a bit. I may have dreamed this but I don't think so. But yeah the advice to keep an eye on it but don't worry is good advice.

Here's a reference

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion