The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I just think that the GPC and GPCPA1 guitars are right up your alley. Nice bold sound, but more focused than a dread. I'd try one out if I were you. The GPCPA1 was brought back recently. LOVE that guitar, I just don't like built in pickup systems.

Nice playing! Yes, you are playing up high and wanting that access. I just think a GPC would work better than a dread with a PA.
Interesting... From time to time I play with a dude that has a GPCPA1 and to me, at least in that guy's hands was nothing special. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad guitar. But initially not knowing what it was, when I heard I thought it was an $1100 middle end Martin . I only did the research after I asked him which model he had and was surprised that it was more expensive than the D28/35's. But again, in a different player's hands I might feel differently about it.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Interesting... From time to time I play with a dude that has a GPCPA1 and to me, at least in that guy's hands was nothing special. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad guitar. But initially not knowing what it was, when I heard I thought it was an $1100 middle end Martin . I only did the research after I asked him which model he had and was surprised that it was more expensive than the D28/35's. But again, in a different player's hands I might feel differently about it.
I’ve never played either model so I’m speaking from inexperience but I think that the standard series GPC models might be better acoustically than the 1 series. The GPC35e looks very interesting, but I’m a big fan of the D35 and M36.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I’ve never played either model so I’m speaking from inexperience but I think that the standard series GPC models might be better acoustically than the 1 series. The GPC35e looks very interesting, but I’m a big fan of the D35 and M36.
I think you're probably right about that. Still, something about the GPC models don't appeal to me. I am guessing resale is not all that great either. I could be wrong.

Cutaway aside, things are going to get interesting in a few days;

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I think you're probably right about that. Still, something about the GPC models don't appeal to me. I am guessing resale is not all that great either. I could be wrong.

Cutaway aside, things are going to get interesting in a few days;

Sweet! Looks like we are finally going to get back on topic after your cutaway diversion. Think I’ll go grab a beer and my 41 and get in a little afternoon playing while I await further revelations.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

outlaw??? that fake illegal guitar Martin NEVER MADE???
Hey mannn I dont know who you are but My D 41 can destroy your outlaw
to smithereens .....So Yeah man ...get THE 41!!!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingchet View Post
outlaw??? that fake illegal guitar Martin NEVER MADE???
Hey mannn I dont know who you are but My D 41 can destroy your outlaw
to smithereens .....So Yeah man ...get THE 41!!!!!
(For anyone who doesn't know, ChasingChet and I are close friends. We have been super supportive and encouraging on this Martin D41 journey. So this is all tongue in cheek kidding)

Sir ChasingChet? <snicker> ... Gauntlet thrown, challenge accepted! Ha!

Your D41 sound clip demonstrated the frequency range, sparkle, detail, sustain and classic Martin voice that fueled my highly active interest in the D41.

Shades: It was the D-35 got us started.

ChasingChet: Mount your steed and let the jousting begin!

You do realize, your single D41 is no match for my Outlaw ..AND D-18 and D41? My Martin Dread Trifecta will have you bowing in submission soon enough.

BUT ...when you start playing your Chet Atkins Fingerstyle ...I am always humbled. You have mad skills my friend. Crazy talented.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

I'll just go ahead and congratulate you now Gary! Enjoy that 41...they are fine guitars for sure. Talk about having your bases covered? Have fun!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
(For anyone who doesn't know, ChasingChet and I are close friends. We have been super supportive and encouraging on this Martin D41 journey. So this is all tongue in cheek kidding)

Sir ChasingChet? <snicker> ... Gauntlet thrown, challenge accepted! Ha!

Your D41 sound clip demonstrated the frequency range, sparkle, detail, sustain and classic Martin voice that fueled my highly active interest in the D41.

Shades: It was the D-35 got us started.

ChasingChet: Mount your steed and let the jousting begin!

You do realize, your single D41 is no match for my Outlaw ..AND D-18 and D41? My Martin Dread Trifecta will have you bowing in submission soon enough.

BUT ...when you start playing your Chet Atkins Fingerstyle ...I am always humbled. You have mad skills my friend. Crazy talented.
what a journey its been! Mr. Mahogany! I am so happy to have maybe influenced your decision in this INCREDIBLE acquisition in what I believe to be the finest example of a Rosewood Dread I have ever played or owned!!
Congrats and welcome to the 41 club amigo!!! You are an awesome player and musician and worthy of this BEAST!!!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 PM

Well I am a new comer to this thread but I have enjoyed this immensely.....Right up to the point where you guys talked me out of my heretofore dream dread, which was a 2017 HD28 Ambertone. I have a 2008 DC-AURA which is a fine plugged in dred, but left me wanting. Then I went and played a D41.....yep...I see what you mean...and there goes another $1500!! So I will wait and try to find an Ambertone D41. the GAS is strong with this one!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxan View Post
Well I am a new comer to this thread but I have enjoyed this immensely.....Right up to the point where you guys talked me out of my heretofore dream dread, which was a 2017 HD28 Ambertone. I have a 2008 DC-AURA which is a fine plugged in dred, but left me wanting. Then I went and played a D41.....yep...I see what you mean...and there goes another $1500!! So I will wait and try to find an Ambertone D41. the GAS is strong with this one!
Glad you had a chance to play a D41? Was it the current 2018 model? They are pretty spectacular guitars, bling aside. But they sure are nice looking too. I hope mine will arrive by the end of the week.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I still have not had a chance to play one for myself, so this is still a 'wait-and-see' for myself. The dealer I bought from is super cool and sent me a great recording of the actual guitar. That sealed the deal. More to come!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-18-2018, 06:27 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Glad you had a chance to play a D41? Was it the current 2018 model? They are pretty spectacular guitars, bling aside. But they sure are nice looking too. I hope mine will arrive by the end of the week.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I still have not had a chance to play one for myself, so this is still a 'wait-and-see' for myself. The dealer I bought from is super cool and sent me a great recording of the actual guitar. That sealed the deal. More to come!
So it’s official. Good for you, Gary! Hope it lives up to your expectations. You’re gonna have one heck of an acoustic arsenal.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:

I'm excited to see what you think. So many people claim that the D-41 is an HD-28 with bling, but I just here a huge difference. I will be interested to hear what your comparison is with your other guitars.

In a nice turn of event, I found a buyer willing to take my 000-28 even with the binding issues. So, I may be getting closer to a nice dread, but still have to pay the Les Paul off. I tried returning the LP and couldn't do it. The electric bug is hitting me pretty hard right now...
Old 07-18-2018, 07:23 AM

Fingers crossed for the new D41! They sure are pretty guitars and the new one I played was terrific.

Shades, that seems like a good development on the guitar sale.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 AM

I have a friend who owns a D-41 that he got at Wildwood Music in the 90s. It is one of the finest guitars I've ever heard. It's one of those that if you had the chance to play 500 D-41s, you'd pick this one as the standout above all others. Everything came together magically in the production of this D-41.

He's an outstanding player and singer, but everybody is like, "Wow! That guitar!" After he plays, everyone, especially guitar players, come up to remark about what a great guitar he has. He thanks them, but we often chuckle later about nobody mentioning his playing or singing. Even as we chuckle, I think it bothers him a little bit.

To his credit, I figure that he's played that D-41 long enough to identify all of its particular assets, and to exploit every one of them in performance. Yes, the player still matters.

opencee

Old 07-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I believe the one I played was a 2017. I have my heart set on a Burst Guitar (will be my first). Need to save a few more bucks before I pull the trigger. When I do, I am on an assignment here in LA so I thought I might head to LA Guitars and see if they have one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion