The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-26-2006, 07:31 AM

Exclamation Zoom H4 Test (built in mic's in a club)

The hosts at the open mic night that i observe played last night, and where pretty excited about letting me record them. This is a small part of one of the songs they did.

I recorded it with the following settings...

mode = stereo mode
format = WAV
sample rate = 44khz
bit depth = 16 bit
mic gain switch = M
auto gain = ON

I placed it on a mini tripod, and set it on the table about 10 feet away from one of the PA speakers, and aimed it at the speaker.

http://home.comcast.net/~bcalvanese/BabalonPart.mp3

I could have just plugged into their PA system and got no background noise, but i wanted to test the mics, and see how it would perform just by itself. I think this little thing is great.

Let me know what you all think...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Hi Bob...

Thanks for posting this. There is always the guy at the next table who could care less about the group and is there to chat (and that is probably a good thing).

I liked the realistic feel.

I've been experimenting with my H4, and have used it to record a talk a friend was giving to share with others who could not be there that day, and plan to try it hooked to the PA at one of our upcoming gigs. At the coffeehouse where we play, it would be foolish to set the mic the way you did because the steam wands & smoothie blenders would drown out everything!

Did you record the entire evening? How do you like the results? What will you do the same next time? Different?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
I could have just plugged into their PA system and got no background noise, but i wanted to test the mics, and see how it would perform just by itself. I think this little thing is great.
Just to verify....

The Zoom H4 can plug into the recording outs of a mixer and record direct??

If so, that little thing really does have a wide variety of "on the go" uses.

Taylor 314ce-LTD
Taylor 514ce
Alvarez Yairi DY-95
Seagull S6
Old 11-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
...The Zoom H4 can plug into the recording outs of a mixer and record direct??
Hi Danny...
The Zoom H4 has built in mics, and it has combo XLR/1/4'' inputs with individual level controls. It can also supply phantom power should you want to use condenser mics that are phantom powered.

With appropriate cables, yes, you can record straight from a PA board.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-27-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Bob...

Thanks for posting this. There is always the guy at the next table who could care less about the group and is there to chat (and that is probably a good thing).

I liked the realistic feel.

I've been experimenting with my H4, and have used it to record a talk a friend was giving to share with others who could not be there that day, and plan to try it hooked to the PA at one of our upcoming gigs. At the coffeehouse where we play, it would be foolish to set the mic the way you did because the steam wands & smoothie blenders would drown out everything!

Did you record the entire evening? How do you like the results? What will you do the same next time? Different?
I think i was clipping or on the verg of clipping this time, but it still turned out pretty good. The guy was actually sitting at my table, and it is a good thing becausse i got to hear how the mic picks up that sort of stuff. The H4 still picked up the band very good for being in a noisey bar. I had the gain too high or it would have even done a better job.

I know i could have hooked directly into their PA, but i wanted to test the built in mic's. I think that effect is pretty good. You get to hear the applause and the background noise kinda gives it that live feel...)

I recorded 2 sets. One with the hosts, and another of a friend of mine who opened for them. I had the gain a little too high for both sets, but the auto gain setting still kept it from clipping too bad.

I did like the results, and as i get better aquanted with it, i will get even better results.

Next time i will do it the same way, but get the gain set better.

I will also let them hook it into their PA for a set, and see how it sounds that way.

You should give your's a try at the coffee house gigs like i had mine set. If you can get it close enough to one of the PA speakers and aim it right, you may still get a good result. It would be cool to try at least...

Thanks for your post.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
Just to verify....

The Zoom H4 can plug into the recording outs of a mixer and record direct??

If so, that little thing really does have a wide variety of "on the go" uses.
Yes, it can be hooked directly into a PA outs and into one or both of the mic/instrument inputs.

Also...

It's a 4 track recorder, and you can listen to tracks while recording onto other tracks at the same time. It also has amp modeling, mic modeling, effects, compression/limiting, and phantom power. It can also be used as a recording interface for the PC, as well as a card reader.

This little thing is... AWESOME!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell